D&D General Famous franchises reimaginated as D&D settings.

Critical Role will run a Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom one-shot episode later this month, featuring Ganondorf himself as the DM. Last week, Critical Role announced that the channel will air a special Zelda-themed one-shot featuring Liam O'Brien, Marisha Ray, Robbie Daymond, Omar Najam and Emily Axford, with Matthew Mercer acting as the DM. The one-shot is sponsored by Nintendo of America but features original characters and plot to steer clear of Tears of the Kingdom spoilers. The episode will air on May 30th.

---

Some times I tried to imagine a D&D setting drinking from lots of different sources, for example Spelljammer adding aliens and factions from Star Wars, Star Trek, Mass Effect, Halo, Babylon 5, Stargate.

Hasbro has got the adventage to be a megacorporation with enough experience about licencing. But their weak point is they can't publish a sci-fi or modern age setting being totally retrocompatible with d20 Fantasy. The firearms break the power balance.

After the "crossovers" with Stranger Things and Riccky&Morty....what other franchises would you like added into the D&D multiverse? For example Conan the Barbarian, Song of Ice & Fire, lots of isekai light novel-manga-anime, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Legend of Mana, Golden Axe, Disney Mirroverse, Wildfire (80's Hanna Barbera cartoon), Pirates of the Dark Waters, .

Some IPs are old and almost forgotten, but this is a good reason those companies to accept a D&D licence, because then those brands could recover value. And the intercompany crossovers are like "limited editions", and then jewels for collectors.

Hasbro has got the adventage to be a megacorporation with enough experience about licencing. But their weak point is they can't publish a sci-fi or modern age setting being totally retrocompatible with d20 Fantasy. The firearms break the power balance.

I would just make firearms deal similar damage to the regular arsenal of D&D weapons. Whether it is a gun shot to the groin or a great axe to the neck from an experienced weapon master, it is going to hurt; there is no reason to bring realism into the equation since you should probably be dead soon either way if simulation was your top priority.

The problem, of course, is that the DnD ruleset is so tied up in its magic system that it's challenging to make other IPs work. Either you have to make the setting's magic work as pseudo-Vancian or you need to build a lot of content to create a new magic system. This is mostly challenging because of how much work it takes, not because it's particularly difficult game design.

Having said that: I would play Guild Wars DnD in a heartbeat, I've been meaning to try the Stargate D2o game, and I think there's room for a generified Isekai DnD setting that just embraces the meta-knowledge of Isekai protagonists while running off general DnD rules.

Oofta

Legend
I would just make firearms deal similar damage to the regular arsenal of D&D weapons. Whether it is a gun shot to the groin or a great axe to the neck from an experienced weapon master, it is going to hurt; there is no reason to bring realism into the equation since you should probably be dead soon either way if simulation was your top priority.
People in D&D just have plot armor like Rambo or a few dozen other action heroes - including the main characters in Star Wars.

Oofta

Legend
You can pretty easily use the themes and tone from other genres in D&D if you want. You don't even need Spell Jammers for star wars, just flying (terrestrial) ships or even ocean going. Instead of a death star, a floating island with a ritual of ultimate destruction that can take out a city.

The main thing about Halo (not that I've played many) and Mass Effect is the idea of having an enemy and an even more overwhelming threat on the horizon. In either case the how you get from place to place doesn't matter all that much, you're uncovering the secrets of an ancient race.

There are only so many stories under the sun, different genres just have different special effects.

Stalker0

Legend
Would love Sandersons storm light archive.

Players play knights radiant, using storm light as a “mana pool” like system to power spells. Each player would have specific spells representing the surges, etc

In such a system you probably wouldn’t gain levels per se but would gain a “tier” of power with each oath you take, aka 1st to 5th or 5th to 9th. And hps would be relatively low with super healing from storm light, so your stormlight supply becomes more your hp pool

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I disagree. Doing that provides no incentive to use firearms in a genre where logically almost everyone should be doing so.

Micah Sweet

People in D&D just have plot armor like Rambo or a few dozen other action heroes - including the main characters in Star Wars.
The problem with that is that the more explicit that plot armor becomes, the less the game feels like D&D to a lot of folks. My preference would be something like Stars Without Number if you want D&D-style play in a sci-fi setting.

Micah Sweet

You can pretty easily use the themes and tone from other genres in D&D if you want. You don't even need Spell Jammers for star wars, just flying (terrestrial) ships or even ocean going. Instead of a death star, a floating island with a ritual of ultimate destruction that can take out a city.

The main thing about Halo (not that I've played many) and Mass Effect is the idea of having an enemy and an even more overwhelming threat on the horizon. In either case the how you get from place to place doesn't matter all that much, you're uncovering the secrets of an ancient race.

There are only so many stories under the sun, different genres just have different special effects.
I've been wanting to run a D&D sandbox based on the show Babylon 5 for a while now.

Remove ads