• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC What anime franchises could be adapted into D&D?

I'd love to see a Paprika crossover with D&D. That could get trippy.

mc3-1.png

Aldarc

Legend
I would add the anime Twelve Kingdoms (Juni Kokki), though I also think that it would be great for Cortex Prime and Fate.

Most definitely.

Record of Lodoss War, Slayers, and Rune Soldier Louie are all either Ur-examples or potentially excluded form being reverse examples.

All three are based on the various authors D&D campaigns.
Record of Lodoss War and Rune Soldier Louie are set in the same universe and have the same creator.

I'd love to see a Paprika crossover with D&D. That could get trippy.

Attachments

• 1596011247498.jpeg
    1596011247498.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 158

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
I want to say Berserk, but it'd translate poorly to an RPG.

The setting is great, if a bit predictable at first. It's monster devoid then suddenly monster diverse. But the big kicker is of course the content is far too violent and disturbing, and you would have to include that for an honest product.

Also, it's so central characters driven, your PCs would either have to be them, or side characters in a story arc.

Or maybe it'd be the ultimate evil campaign, where you roll up some unique uber evil apostle, manifesting cool powers from your key driving philosophy (plus have an army of terrifying minions)... And you've got to somehow stop the unstoppable NPC party - and no accounts provoke their lead fighter to going Berserk.

Many people point out Slayers, which is the example I came here to mention as well.

That said, there actually was a d20 Slayers book released in 2003 by Guardians of Order, so it's already been adapted into a D&D-derived/compatible system, so it's definitely there (IIRC, they had Lina as being 17th level in Slayers, 19th level in Slayers Next, and 21st level In Slayer Try. . .so the 3rd season was effectively a Epic-level game, but that would make sense since the Giga Slave should have to be an Epic Spell given what it can do :) ).

I've known plenty of PC's that were basically a clone of Lina Inverse, and have seen PC's based on Gourry and Ameila more than once as well.

Aldarc

Legend
I want to say Berserk, but it'd translate poorly to an RPG.

The setting is great, if a bit predictable at first. It's monster devoid then suddenly monster diverse. But the big kicker is of course the content is far too violent and disturbing, and you would have to include that for an honest product.

Also, it's so central characters driven, your PCs would either have to be them, or side characters in a story arc.

Or maybe it'd be the ultimate evil campaign, where you roll up some unique uber evil apostle, manifesting cool powers from your key driving philosophy (plus have an army of terrifying minions)... And you've got to somehow stop the unstoppable NPC party - and no accounts provoke their lead fighter to going Berserk.
I would probably use Shadow of the Demon Lord or Warhammer Fantasy RP for Berserk.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I would probably use Shadow of the Demon Lord or Warhammer Fantasy RP for Berserk.
The Insanity and Corruption rules, as well as the thematic magical traditions, would seem to make SotDL fit well for a lot of darker fantasy anime tropes.

GreyLord

Legend
People mentioned Final Fantasy, well, if FF is included, than one should also look at Dragon Warrior (aka...Dragon Quest). There would have to be at least one new class added though (that of the merchant) with some other ideas tossed in.

Regarding Video game franchises that have D&D class types and enemies, the Tales series also tend to have a warrior, a roguelike, a Clerical type, and a Wizardly/Scholarly type in their parties.

akr71

Hero
None. None shoe-horned into D&D

TTRPG based on anime is an entirely different discussion. Full Metal Alchemist, Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia - I've watched all of, or most of those because of my kids. My son ran a free-form improv rpg for us based on Naruto & we had a lot of fun with it.

Remove ads