Critical Role Critical Role removes hundreds of YouTube videos and podcast episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Also, thankfully the hype for AI as a corporate buzzword has already plateaued.

The horrible future of very verbose parrots becoming 'smarter' than us will not come to pass. The real danger is implementation of a half-cocked technology by people who don't understand it to fix problem it will absolutely exacerbate.

Yaarel

He Mage
I’ve yet to have a good experience with ai helpbots, whether chat based or verbal. Until I experience better I say it’s about as overhyped as self driving cars.
Personally, I wont go near AI "assistants".

My impression of AI chat bots in 2023:

Current AI is surprisingly terrible at things one expects a computer to be good at, such as repeating a list, finding and quoting a text source, or adding numbers together.

But current AI is amazingly good at things one expects a computer to be bad at, such as creative ideas, or fleshing out what-if hypothetical scenarios.

But this is AI in 2023. Not 2025 or 2045 or 2095.

Oofta

Legend
I’ve yet to have a good experience with ai helpbots, whether chat based or verbal. Until I experience better I say it’s about as overhyped as self driving cars.
AI in the form of LLMs (large language models) don't understand anything. It's just pattern recognition of previous words used and then spit back out in organized word salad. Useful in some situations, for example it helps people who work at help desks get up to speed more quickly. But it doesn't think in any meaningful way.

Yaarel

He Mage
AI in the form of LLMs (large language models) don't understand anything. It's just pattern recognition of previous words used and then spit back out in organized word salad. Useful in some situations, for example it helps people who work at help desks get up to speed more quickly. But it doesn't think in any meaningful way.
In other words, 2023 AI is amazing but not yet able to pass the Turing Test.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Which I guess explains why they are so bad at the tasks everyone thinks they should be good at. I do think chatgpt and such can aid in creativity - probably more so than outright replace it.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
In other words, 2023 AI is amazing but not yet able to pass the Turing Test.
Isn’t that the thing though, LLM based AI doesn’t appear to be capable of thought now, nor does anything about the technology inspire us to believe it will be capable of thought in the future.

Yaarel

He Mage
The lack of "understanding" is important to keep in mind.

AI can refer to specific phrases in appropriate contexts. But AI cannot refer to comparable "ideas" or other ways of saying the same thing.

Yaarel

He Mage
Isn’t that the thing though, LLM based AI doesn’t appear to be capable of thought now, nor does anything about the technology inspire us to believe it will be capable of thought in the future.
I believe that the current technology can never become conscious, in principle.

I am simply referring to processing information. It will process information to monitor itself, for example.

That said, I suspect future technological mediums, such as organic computers and perhaps quantum computers to open up the possibility of actual consciousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads