• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critique a Lizardfolk paladin/bard

Trench

First Post
Hey there. For a Ptolus game I am running, I'm planning on having a female lizardfolk paladin/bard be a sort of non-traditional antagonist for my police PC's. Essentially, she isn't meant to be entirely combat optimized, but more of a politcal organizer for the opressed homeless lizardfolk living in the city.

Now the LA for lizardmen is +1, and they get two levels of humanoid at 2d8 HD; BAB +1; base saves of Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +0. Racial skill points are 5 x (2 +INT) with class skills being Balance, Jump, and Swim. (In addition to +4 racial bonus on those skills.) One feat gained from the racial levels and +5 Nat. Armor.

Now, I *think* I did this right, but the skills threw me a bit. I started off with bard and alternated back and forth. The one thing I'm not sure about is if she gets the full starting allotment of skill points for the first bard level or if I have to go straight to the per level allottment of skill points.

having made her, I almost wish i could play her as a PC... So let me know what I did wrong or right. Thanks.

Seeselis
LG Paladin 2/ Bard 2

STR 14 +2
DEX 10
CON 12 +1
INT 12 +1
WIS 10
CHA 16 +3

CR 5
HP 36
AC 15
BAB/Grapple +4/+6
Attack +6 melee (2x1d4+2, claw, 1d4+2 bite)
Fort +7 Ref +6, Will +6
Skills: Balance 8 (2+2+4,) Jump 6 (0+2+4), Swim 6 (0+2+4), Perform 11 (6+3+2), Diplomacy 7.5 (4.5+3), Gather Info 6 (3+3), Knowledge local 5 (4+1), Heal 2, Knowledge (religion) 4 (3+1), Knowledge (arcana) 5 (4+1)

Feats: Dragonsong, Devoted Performer, Improved Smiting

Updated those skills... Gets her a bit more focused to the informant/political rabblerouser I want her to be.

Tossed in Dragonsong as well... Now I wonder if I should sink some into Intimidate as suggested...

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
Trench said:
The one thing I'm not sure about is if she gets the full starting allotment of skill points for the first bard level or if I have to go straight to the per level allottment of skill points.

Straight to the per level, I'm afraid. Her first HD is a racial hit die.

It's good to see that you have Devoted Performer, as that takes care of multiclassing issues on both sides. Why Stealthy?

Trench

First Post
moritheil said:
Straight to the per level, I'm afraid. Her first HD is a racial hit die.

Also, without a feat that grants you a special exception, you can't swap out of paladin levels and then go back and take more paladin levels. Not to mention the alignment issues:

Ah ha. Thought so... Well let me adjust the above then.

Trench

First Post
moritheil said:
It's good to see that you have Devoted Performer, as that takes care of multiclassing issues on both sides. Why Stealthy?

Mostly for flavor. She's an escaped slave, although I may switch that out for whichever feat is needed to let there be a lawful bard. Which feat would that be?

Ah never mind, you adressed it. Any recommendations for another feat better than Stealthy? I'm open about that one.

moritheil

First Post
Trench said:
Ah never mind, you adressed it. Any recommendations for another feat better than Stealthy? I'm open about that one.

Off the top of my head . . . Practiced Spellcaster comes to mind, as you have 4 HD that aren't helping your bard caster level and it can boost that by up to +4.

Trench

First Post
moritheil said:
Off the top of my head . . . Practiced Spellcaster comes to mind, as you have 4 HD that aren't helping your bard caster level and it can boost that by up to +4.

Devoted Performer takes care of that though, correct? Besides, I'm not sure I'm willing to sink the points into Spellcraft to get that. Decent idea though.

szilard

First Post
Some thoughts:

Skills - There's no reason you can't buy cross-class skills with your skill points from racial HD. Also, no Bluff or Intimidate for a political rabble-rouser?

Saves - Should be Fort 7 / Ref 6 / Will 6, I think.

-Stuart

moritheil

First Post
Trench said:
Devoted Performer takes care of that though, correct? Besides, I'm not sure I'm willing to sink the points into Spellcraft to get that. Decent idea though.

IIRC DP allows your Bard and Paladin levels stack to determine your Smite damage and daily uses of Bardic Music - but it doesn't improve your CL. I could be remembering wrong.

As for another feat - how about Dragon Song? It seems vaguely appropriate (Dcn p.105.) Your bardic music is at +2 DC and you get a +2 on verbal perform checks. It requires Cha 13, Know (arcana): 4 ranks, Perform: 6 ranks, and Speak Language (Draconic.)

Trench

First Post
szilard said:
Skills - There's no reason you can't buy cross-class skills with your skill points from racial HD. Also, no Bluff or Intimidate for a political rabble-rouser?

Saves - Should be Fort 7 / Ref 6 / Will 6, I think.

Point. I did do that and tossed a few points into Heal, thinking she healed a few injured slaves during her time- but I could toss more in there. Bluff isn't her style, but Intimidate could work...

And yeah, I'm actually rather impressed by her saves. Pretty hefty for a level 4 character.

Remove ads