• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critique my Rogue Build?

ourchair

First Post
Another one of those kind of threads. :p

I'm about to play in my first Pathfinder game, which in essence is really my first 3.X Edition game outside of a few sessions in a 3E Dragonlance game.

Anyway, chargen is supposed to be at the table itself, but I've decided I want to work out most of the details ahead of time and just plug in the stats after they're rolled there.

I've chosen to play a Human Rogue, even if I want to be obnoxious and built something like a Kitsune Gunslinger (however suboptimal it may or may not be). I'm entering the party at level 6.

Anyway, if anyone can provide any advice on this build that'd be great:

FEATS
Human Bonus: Two-Weapon Fighting.
Level 1: Weapon Finesse
Level 3: Shadow Strike (Advanced Player’s Guide)
Level 5: Disorienting Maneuver (Ultimate Combat)

ROGUE TALENTS
Level 2: Weapon Training: Daggers
Level 4: Befuddling Strike (Advanced Player’s Guide)
Level 6: Offensive Defense (Advanced Player’s Guide)

While I'm certainly on the Two Weapon track and definitely hoping to make INT and CON my secondaries, I'll admit that the biggest point of indecision for me is what combination of combat abilities I'd like to go for and whether or not I'm going to make throwing knives a thing.

The fact that the Rogue Talent tree allows me to grab feats is really making this trickier than it would be with a class that had a more straightforward progression scheme.

Other feats I had considered:

Dodge
Defensive Combat Training
Two-Weapon Feint
Combat Expertise
Combat Reflexes

Also wondering whether it's worth it to dip into Fighter to get the BAB to qualify for things like Improved Two-Weapon Fighting earlier than usual and whether the Slow Reactions talent would be worth it.

RithTheAwakener

First Post
The build seems to be all over the place for me. There doesn't appear to be a clear focus. It looks fine, and could be versatile, but I can't say much other than that without a clear goal in mind.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Looks to me as though you have a quick, mutli-attack rogue that gets better AC when she succeeds in hitting things with Sneak Attack. To me, you're like a typical MMO DPS "Rogue".

I wouldn't worry about making Throwing Daggers a thing, because you'll likey end up pursuing a whole different feat chain (Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot at the bare minimum). You can Sneak Attack with any ranged weapon so long as you catch opponents flat-footed... so Improved Initiative would be one of my top choices for Feats.

Curious why you wouldn't use Short Swords as your weapons, since they do more base damage.

If you want style, taking a level dip in Fighter would get you Kukri proficiency (as well as every other Martial Weapon) which would give you cooler-looking daggers with an 18-20 crit range.

jpmg90

Villager
Another option is to look into Shadow Dancer. (Prestige Class, if it's available to you) Which could be really fun as well. It would be a different feat tree: Combat Reflexes, Dodge, and Mobility. But if you are human you still can get into Weapon Finesse & Two-Weapon Fighting. Just another though if you are still trying to find your niche.

With a rogue talent you can get Weapon Finesse at level 2 and just pick the required feats from there.

Remove ads