Crossed Paths - Part I

Manzanita

First Post
Sevastopol September 25th 8 pm

OOC: please see OOC thread for experience points discussion. TH, the old man died per a previous entry.

It is just past dusk when Sevastopol is spotted. The crew gives a loud cheer as the familiar harbor is seen. The captain calls the group to the stern for a quick conference.

“You have saved my life and that of all others aboard. I do thank you for traveling with me and when you are ready to leave, I will give you free passage back on my ship. Do you know who to meet and where to go once you get ashore? Is there anything I can assist you with?”

A small crowd gathers by the time the boat is docked. The crew calls loudly to the shore in Greek, happy to be home. But the mood on the dock is somber. The crew disembarks and begins unloading, but stop as conversation with the locals intensifies. You hear repeated mention of “The fog of Death” and ”The Wendel” having returned. Angrinion seems as confused by this as you. The fishermen and laborers at the docks seem somewhat confused by your presence. “Hey, who are these people? Are they the promised ones?”

The Captain listens to the news and explains it to you in Latin. “This is interesting news my friends. It appears your arrival is indeed expected. Perhaps you know of this, “ he scans your faces, “but evidently you do not. It appears that the Wendel have returned. The Wendel is some…monstrosity, that comes in a mist. This mist has come at least twice before in the history of the town. Approximately every 200 years. 200 Years ago, it came & killed many, but the town survived. 200 years before that, the town was wiped out. It was repopulated later, but earlier history is sketchy. The mist comes, and people die. And they die a gruesome death, eaten by the Wendel. No one has ever seen the Wendel and lived. No one knows its nature. However, two days ago, Y’dress, our mightiest cleric asked the Gods for aid, and was told that seven strangers would arrive and rid us of this curse. I have no doubt but that these strangers be you.” He pauses. “I certainly hope so, otherwise this town may be doomed.” He bows his head & rubs his forehead with his hand. “Ah… these are dangerous days. Eight people have already been slain. This is the worst crisis in this town since the slaver raids of my youth.” His face then relaxes somewhat & he smiles. “But you will save us, will you not? Let me conduct you first to the Temple to meet Y’dress. She seems to be expecting you.”

ErichDragon

First Post
Ecgthow will grab his pack and descend to the ground expertly. He will stand there for a few minutes, letting everyone see him, meeting the eyes of all who look his way.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Octar glances uneasily at Brioc, looking to the more expierienced man for leadership. This hardly seemed like a diversion from their quest- and was it something they could handle anyway? He collects his things and leads his horse out, and spends a few minutes making sure the horse is alright, and groomed.

Manzanita

First Post
Sevastopol 9 pm

Darkness has fallen by the time you trudge though town on your way to the Temple of Diana. The air is crisp and cool. You draw your cloaks tight around you, most of you underdressed for the cold, yet you are happy to feel the firm feel of earth again under your feet.

Mendicus volunteers to go to the only Inn in town, supervising the moving of your possetions.

You don't get much of a feel for the town. It is quiet, with few people about. Those that are out hurry to their destination wordlessly. The buildings seems well-constructed & in good condition. The town is not a poor one.

Captain Vlad Tolstoy leads you through town. “There was something about you from the beginning, “ he confides. “The way you handled those Sahuagins…you are going to save this town. I know it. This cannot be a conincidence. It is Posiden’s work, I wager. Heros come at the town’s darkest hour. Why, this Wendel is the worst news since the slaver raids of my youth…”

The Temple is a large stone structure, with classical Greek columns of white marble. Inside, a statue of the virgin Diana dominates the hall. Statues of other Greek Gods and heros line the alcoves along the walls.

The captain is clearly known to the temple priests, for he is quickly ushered into a rear chamber, where you meet a tall, dark-haired woman clad in shiny mail.

Her beautiful eyes shine as the Captain bows and says, "These are the ones!"

"Welcome." she says.

Manzanita

First Post
Y'dress

“I am Y’dress, chief priestess of Sevastopol. I welcome you to our town. The hour is late and you have traveled far. Captain Tolstly tells me you have already saved his ship from attack. Surely then, you have come here to save our village from destruction, whether you know it or not.” She smiles. “Diana has told me you would come. It is a great pleasure to see you. We have arranged a room for you at the Spiral Inn. I apologize in advance for its lack of amenities. We do not get many visitors in this remote place on the edge of the wilderness. In the morning, I will pick you up and take you to see the mayor. Then we will decide our next course of action. Good night”

Feel free to ask her, or the captains questions. Otherwise, I will soon take up in the morning.

Jarval

Explorer
Brioc bows deeply to Y'dress, before speaking.

"I hope we may aid your town in some manner, my Lady, but I would know more of the danger that faces the people of Sevastopol. I have heard the words 'fog of death' and 'Wendel' spoken with great fear. What are these things?"

Manzanita

First Post
Y'dress

"Well, " she glances up into space, "we don't really know. When the mists come, people die. It can be quite thick. None have seen the nature of the enemy. This has happened before, 200 years ago. And before that. Perhaps many times before."

Jarval

Explorer
"Is there any way of defending against this creature?" Brioc questions Y'dress. "Does it fear anything? Fire? Magic? The symbols of the gods? Any weakness or protection we can use will better our chances in defeating it."

Manzanita

First Post
Y'dress

"We know of no fears or weaknesses. We are trying to convene a council for the morning with the other leaders of the village. Perhaps there we can work out a strategy. Good night."

OOC: Feel free to ask Y'dress more questions, or Captain Tolstoy, or discuss your options with each other back at the Inn. I'll wait a bit before posting morning activities. I like to push things along, but you might want a chance to talk to each other about what's going on first.

Inez Hull

First Post
"May I ask how it is that these deaths occur? Are they caused by the mist itself, or by something that hides in the mists. If it is something that hides in the mists do they bring the mist with them or come when such weather conditions occur naturally. This may seem tangential, however if this creature, or creatures, need the mist to come and cannot control the mist itself then perhaps we can prevent this "Wendel" by preventing the mists themselves. Although......., that is another matter entirely. Is there an arcanist or priest of significant enough power to control the winds or weather hereabouts?" Ehldannis' shoulders slump briefly as he considers the likelihood of this.

He then perks up again, "Do we know how long this phenomenon has been occuring for? Is there anything in the histories of this region to account for it beyond the past two occurances. For that matter are there any eyewitnesses or contempories of the attacks preceding the current ones?" Ehldannis blushes and smiles shyly. "I don't suppose there are any Eves living in these parts are there? Or any humans with lifespans exceeding two hundred years......."

Last edited:

Remove ads