• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crossed Paths, Part II

doghead

thotd
... and its over. Which is fortunate because there is little marcus can do from the back of a horse, and he would have been reluctant to have released them.

He stays mounted for a few moments to be sure that all is clear, then dismounts and lashes the horses to a suitable branch. Then he takes the crossbow and loads it. It is good to see Dhormium has returned to his more outgoing self of old, but Marcus intends to keep an eye on the "roman", and the crossbow ready, til more is known.

The other eye he will keep on the surrounding woods.

ooc: if he had a third he would use it to check the bodies more closely. They weren't orcs I think.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Octar waves Dhormium away. "The wound is not bad." He dismounts, tell his horse to remain in place, and inspects the bodies. The spearpoint he considers for only a moment, before deciding to deal with it later.

eoghanbt

First Post
The prisoner managed with some struggle to gain his feet during the short but brutal melee. He looks up to the mounted man as he approaches, and hearing the question...

"Tullius," he croaks, throat apparently dry. "These beasts set upon our expedition one week past, slaughtering many good men and taking prisoners underground..." He tugs, ineffectually, at his bonds, attempting to slip them. Haggard though he is, he smiles, finally, cracked lips curling into a smile.

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Ehldannis recognizes the dead creatures as gnolls, an evil humanoid race once common in Europe, but now only existing on the edges of civilization, as Man has become increasingly dominant.

Besides the usual dirty clothes, meat of questionable origin, and traveling equipment, Octar find the gnolls carried two glaives, a longsword, a very finely made Roman battle axe, and a silver medalion shaped in the form of the Roman Eagle.

As DM, I will also note that there was no campfire; the gnolls were eating cold dried meat. Also, it has been about a week since Tullius' expedition was attacked. I may not have made that clear, but it is important in game terms.

Jarval

Explorer
Brioc smiles faintly, the rush of adrenaline from the fight clearing away much of his depression. He cleans his blade on the dead gnoll's tunic before sheathing the scimitar, then turns to Ehldannis.

"You can use your magic to see other enchantments, yes? Use it now to check our new friend doesn't have any nasty little surprises waiting for us." Brioc looks to the Roman prisoner.

"What was your expedition out here for? Dangerous lands these, as you're now all too aware."

doghead

thotd
Marcus, considering the man to be well in hand, sets out to do a circuit around the 'campsite'. He has a quick look at the pile of weapons on the ground, but sees little of interest to him. We shall soon be able to open shop.

He returns his attention to what lies around and, if possible to see, beyond in the direction that they travel.

eoghanbt

First Post
Tullius rubs his wrists after his bonds are severed, thumbs attempting to force circulation back into his hands. "I am..." he pauses, and coughs again. "Was...with an archaeological expedition. The Collegium in Rome...we were excavating a Macedonian settlement."

He nods, as Octus lifts the eagle. "That is mine...and the axe..The beasts divided the spoils, and these two chose those..and apparently me..."

Inez Hull

First Post
At the roman's mention of an excavation, Ehldannis shoots a concerned glance towards Brioc. "Is there any chance we have competition for our target? My master had advised me that we may not be the only ones searching after.... secrets. And this is not the first time we have heard of archeologists in the region..... remember the Manticore."

Do not speak so freely Ehldannis, Brioc and Octar are the only other original members of our company. I must speak with Brioc later, we cannot be sure of who may be trustworthy even within our own company.

Ehldannis will then perform a quick spellcasting ritual before scanning the area with glowing eyes. [casts Detect Magic] He keeps any results to himself for now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads