Crossed Paths, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarval

Explorer
"Elementals are the elements given sentience." Brioc answers Marcus. "Where the elements are at their purest, the deepest lakes, the highest mountain tops, caves below even the deepest mine shaft, or the heart of a forest fire, you may find elementals. When they occur outside of these places, as the one currently residing in the river is, they have normally been called into this world by a magic user of some skill. Given they are beyond such concerns as a mortal life span, the elemental we face now could have been bound to this place for centuries.

"As for fighting it, I have no qualms. It killed G'ruk, one of my order, and has made attempts on all our lives. It does not belong here, and it must be dealt with, one way or another."

doghead

thotd
Marcus listens to Brioc with his head bowed. He signals his understanding with a nod. He looks up and the internal conflict that rages within is written clearly across his face. He stares back down the corridor towards the bridge and the water beneath it.

Absently he works his way past the others and up to the front to give himself an uninterrupted view. His gaze roves restlessly over the scene before him, as if hoping to see some sort of answer in the dark waters of the cavern.

Without warning he begins striding down the corridor towards the bridge. Where there was nothing before, now there is a daggar in his hand. There is a flash of torchlight off the blade as he carves a deep gash across his left forearm. By the time he hits the bridge, blood streams down over his hand and splatters on the rough ground. He swings his arm out over the water and a flick of his fingers sends a shower of crimson drops over the water. At the center of the bridge he stops.

Manzanita

First Post
Battle resumed

Marcus heads to the bridge, as the others finalize their discussion. Rushing onto the bridge, he whips his arm, sending a small shower of red drops into the dark water beneath him. The drops don't reach the surface, but are absorbed by a column of water which shoots out and up, towering 15 feet above the water, up higher than Marcus' head.

Initiative
Marcus
Elemental
Octar
Ehldannis
Tullius
Brioc & wolf
Dhormium

Attachments

• level2c.JPG
    level2c.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 53

Jarval

Explorer
Brioc moves forwards a few steps and throws a globe of fire from his hand towards the elemental, hoping it proves effective against the towering pillar of water.

Despaxas

First Post
Tullius mutters under his breath. "No discipline. But they make up for it in pure spunk." He draws an arrow and fires at the elemental then moves forward to provide some better support. "Marcus! Retreat, or you will be knocked into the water!"

doghead

thotd
Manzanita said:
Marcus heads to the bridge, as the others finalize their discussion. Rushing onto the bridge, he whips his arm, sending a small shower of red drops into the dark water beneath him. The drops don't reach the surface, but are absorbed by a column of water which shoots out and up, towering 15 feet above the water, up higher than Marcus' head.

Marcus' heart skips a beat.

Then he relaxes, his weight shifting to the balls of his feet. He knows what's coming. He can feel the power of the creature in the arch of the water. Instinctively, he knows that he is going to go left. If he had time he would probably hope that he is fast enough, think - at least it has resolved my dilemma. He probably doesn't get the chance.

ooc: ready an evade, dodge, tumble, get out of town action to take him off the bridge and out of the elemental's threatened area if it attacks. He'll go left/south/to the other side of the bridge from the one that the others currently occupy.

Part of him was tempted to strike while he had the initiative, but that seemed to undermine everything he had just done. And he's conflicted, not suicidal.

Edit: Withdraw. Thats the crunchy word I was looking for. About 30-40 feet or so.

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Round 1

Marcus bolts South, as a mist of cold water hits his face from the creature's surfacing. He feels a strong blow on his shoulder and arm as he runs (11 pts dmg), and he feels that he is hit by a large wave, but he keep his balance and makes it to the foot of the stairs south of the bridge. His lantern (if he still carried it) is extinguished by the water that soaks him to the skin, leaving his hair plastered to his face.

Brioc sends a ball of fire arcing at the living water. It misses the column and falls hissing into the river. Tullius' arrow hits the beast and shatters. It is unclear if it was damaged.

Krilith

First Post
~Dhormium is astonished by the boldness in Marcus’ ways. However, when he sees the elemental deliver his attack and Marcus is being washed away by the wave, the flames thrown by Brioc and the arrow shot by Tullius he oversees the situation clearly again.

Concerned as he is about Grassus he tries to calm him, to let him know that he is still being looked after. With all the kindness the dwarf has in himself he lays his hand on his shoulder and looks him in the eye speaks his dwarven tongue again once more.~ “Grassus, I’ll will not let any harm come over you, you’ve had your share of misery. Clangeddin will keep you safe when you are in conflict or battle.”

And with those words spoken the priest of the dwarf god Clangeddin prays, asking The Battleaxe of Clangeddin to arrive and strike at the water creature.

Ooc: casting spiritual weapon (domain spell). Dealing 1d8+1 (+7 attackbonus)

Despaxas

First Post
Tullius curses as his arrow shatters yet again. Looking at Dhormium he asks. "Perhaps you had better grant us the ability to breathe underwater, just in case." Tullius fires yet another arrow, hoping against hope that it will matter.

doghead

thotd
Marcus rolls to his feet and pulls up a safe distance away*. He gingerly rolls his shoulder and winces with pain. but nothing broken at least.

ooc: * no idea what this things move is, just basing the distance on what Marus thinks its reach is more than anything. Someting around 20-30 ft. I suppose. Can't really sneak attack an elemental I suppose - not really a 'living' creature and it has no real 'anatomy' I suppose. Do I get flanking bonuses?

~assuming that the elemental turns its attention to the main group~

He pulls his bow off his back. He takes a moment to shake it dry before he strings it and brings an arrow into play.

~if the elemental moves in his direction~

Marcus switches his daggar to his left hand and draws his sword. He throws everything into defense, trying to keep the creature occupied long enough for the others to do their stuff to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads