• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crossing a Bridge

pjrake

Explorer
I want to make crossing a bridge eventful for the players. What suggestions, tips can you recommend in making crossing a 40' rope bridge a really cool challenge for my players?

-PJ

Tale

First Post
What system?

I could think of a couple of skill challenges in 4e, but then they become less interesting should the players decide to cross only one at a time.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
A few standards might be:

Wind: random gusts of wind force balance checks

Cold: icy patches force balance checks

under attack: badguys with stones/arrows/etc slows down crossing, no cover to those on bridge, etc. Fliers can attack from all directions, flank from above and below, and drop stuff.

dense fog: characters can't see the end of the bridge

illusions: bridge is invisible, or looks sturdier than it really is (eg, looks like stone)

damage the bridge: fire/acid/slashing can damage the ropes. When the bridge sustains X pts of damage, a rope snaps, and balance check DCs increase by +5. After another X pts of damage, another rope snaps and another +5 on the DC. After another X pts of damage, the bridge snaps completely and falls: reflex check to grab it and avoid falling into the river/rocks/lava/whirling blades/gaping maw/void below

troll bridge: ;)

Ruined

Explorer
The very first Pathfinder AP module, Burnt Offerings, had a fun rope bridge encounter. The PCs are going to deal with goblins in a fort they captured at the other side of the bridge. The PCs can try to sneak across and not be seen or deal with lookout on opposite side beforehand. Then they try to cross while guards emerge, trying to keep the PCs on the bridge. Add in archers and other adversaries trying to cut the ropes, and it can get pretty hairy.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Toll bridge: it's guarded and they charge a fee.

Bats: a swarm of bats in the thousands are scared by the noise and cause a cloud, threatening to push people on the bridge off.

Living Bridge: The bridge is alive, and it wants something.

Illusion: Yup. There's an invisible bridge nearby.

Zeno's Bridge: What a paradox.

Portal: There's a portal in the middle.

Grymar

Explorer
  • The rope is old and starts breaking. It starts to break after 300lbs is on it (or whatever number you need)...the party has one round to get across before it snaps.

• A wall of enemies line up at the end of the bridge behind a shield wall, trying to keep the players on the bridge while others toss alchemist fire.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
"When confronted with a rope bridge, it is better to go back to town than to try and go across it." -The Protocols, Wilderness Protocol #6 (source)

Honestly, it's one of those things that's either pointlessly straightforward, or ridiculously deadly. ;)

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Bridge secretes venom (poison), acid (damage), sticky goo (slow).

Conveyor bridge: the faster a character tries to get to opposite end, the faster the bridge shifts the character in the wrong direction. This might be either a magical effect (teleport) or a mechanical effect (pulleys, etc)

Bridge grows grasping tendrils (entangle), or claws/tentacles/teeth (attack)

Reverse gravity: must cross by "hanging" upwards and going hand-over-hand, or walk along the underside.

Bridge is multi-part: rather that a single long bridge, it's several shorter bridges each spanning stone columns of irregular height. May involve jumping and/or climbing to get from one bridge to another. This might also allow setting it up as a maze of sorts.

rope bridges

In real life, I love rope bridges. They used to be all over the himalayas but are rapidly being replaced with nicer bridges made from metal cables. But old rope bridges make the best photos!

The best rope bridges for gaming purposes should be really long (40ft is way too short for any real life rope bridge, they tend to be 3-10 times this long). They should fairly primitive, having sticks instead of planks for footing, and the sticks should be spaced at least a couple of feet apart . In places there should be 3-4 feet gaps where sticks have fallen from the bridge. Some of the remaining sticks should be rotten! A bridge like this can't be crossed by animals, you need to be able to hold on to the side ropes.

I would try to use a rope bridge by staging an encounter when the party is halfway across it. If the people attacking are locals, they don't want to destroy the bridge -- they need it! The people who are on the bridge definitely should have to make balance/acrobatics checks or lose their dex bonus to AC. Also, they will need to have a hand free to hang on to the bridge. If the critters are fliers, they attack those on the bridge -- otherwise they attack those on one end or the other and the ones in the middle have to hurry off (risking falling).

Hope that helps!
Ken

Remove ads