For those of you with ADHD, how do you organize your campaigns?

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Take a look at obsidian.md. It’s free And has feature to help draw outline with what the call a canvas But look at excaladraw it’s a plug-in for obsidian there are tons of people that use it for organizing

check out these tutorials
I just recently discovered this myself, and started down the rabbit hole of learning how to use it. Had I known sooner, I would've used it rather than OneNote while I was still interested in running games. Now, it's more of a pastime because I love collecting, organizing, and customizing campaigns while learning code.

Words alone, however, will not do the application justice.
Pasted image 20230706081336.png

Faolyn

(she/her)
@Faolyn - I'm curious what prompted the post. Is there anything about ADHD that you feel creates challenges for planning, organizing, and running games and campaigns? Since the mid-90s the term ADD was deprecated and ADHD is an umbrella term that emcompasses all forms of attention-deficit disorders, even if hyperactivity is not present. As a pre-teen and early teen, I was pretty strong on the hyperactive presentation. I was on Ritalin for 2 years, which made me feel like a zombie, and after I was taken off of it, I did fine, I just needed to develop habits to address focus issue. I was against drugs like Ritalin for much of my early adulthood, but I realize that for many people, the medication is necessary for them to function, and I've long stepped off that soap box. As I entered adulthood, my ADHD became much less of an issue. This is party due to being able to develop effective coping habits, party due to productivity software and mobile devices becoming common at the same time I was entering the work force, and partly because of getting my thyroid issues diagnosed and treated.
Heh, well, I was diagnosed at 38, because girls just didn't have these sorts of issues in the 80s and 90s when I was in grade school (so instead, I just needed to apply myself more, although I was never actually shown how). I can't take stimulant meds due to other health issues; the one I take now is OK, in the sense I can generally watch an entire TV show now without getting too distracted, but that's about it. For me, though, my ADHD has gotten worse as time goes by. I was barely organized as a kid, and now it's exhausting to even try now.

But as for why, it's because I happen to be terrible at planning and follow-through and remembering to do basic things. It's not a big deal when I run my typical games, which are barely-connected stand-alone episodes (I'm doing Monster of the Week now, but the players are still in that sort of mindset where they rarely want to go off to do their own personal things).

But several of my players have been jonesing for something with more mechanics (in this case, Level Up) in a much more ambitious setting (a homebrew Industrial-Fantasy city) with several different fronts (class divide tensions coming to a head, people colonizing a new plane of existence, weird energies from that new plane leaking in and causing mutations), a war between two other nations that is slowly approaching our own nation). So I can see where the traps are going to be and I want to be more prepared.

Rather than broadly asking what approaches to campaign building can help someone with ADHD, I think focusing on the specific areas where an individual is facing challenges leads to better advice and that said advice would likely be useful to any GM, whether diagnosed with ADHD or not.
Well, I was looking (as the post's title says) for actual organization tips. For instance, do people just use single documents or tons of different documents? Do people find a particular program or app to be useful? Do they stick stats in with the area description or in its own doc? That sort of thing? Are there particularly good tips or even mechanics from various games that they've found extremely useful in taking some of the burden off the GM? Things like that.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Build with the intention of improvising. Make lists. Make lots of lists. Lists of names are particularly important. Make random generators. Use random generators. The more you do it the more you'll be able to work out ahead of time what lists you'll need and what locations you'll need to prep.

Remember that random generators are there to serve you. You don't serve them. They can create ideas and combinations that inspire you, but don't let them decide what is fun or interesting. You pick.
I do love me a good random generator. I actually have two different random name generators bookmarked on my toolbar (fantasynamegenerator.com, and then one for modern-day names).

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter

Well, I was looking (as the post's title says) for actual organization tips. For instance, do people just use single documents or tons of different documents? Do people find a particular program or app to be useful? Do they stick stats in with the area description or in its own doc? That sort of thing? Are there particularly good tips or even mechanics from various games that they've found extremely useful in taking some of the burden off the GM? Things like that.
In this case: I would second recommendations for the recommendations in the Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master.
A list of 3 bullet points regarding session prep, secrets and cluse. A list of possible npc names and a couple of this to update records after the session.
As for apps, or general documentation. Anything that allows hyperlinking pages, really helps.

Faolyn

(she/her)
It can be really hard to keep a living world going. I spend more time than I should in session trying to find the notes I need because facts, NPCs or player questions show up not in the location that I expected them to show up in because the PC's aren't following the path I anticipated.
This right here is my biggest fear. I don't want my world to feel static. I think I'm getting the hang of moving background things along since I've been using countdowns with MotW, but I'm worried about doing it on a larger scale. (ADHD + anxiety for the win. Or loss, perhaps?)

Beware handwaves like, "The NPC talks tells a joke" where you didn't write down the joke. Make sure you have enough notes actually written down that you aren't improvising the hard parts (whatever the hard parts are for you).
Oh gods, my worst nightmare here--having to tell a joke in-character.

Note that I'm a big believer of narrow-broad-narrow where there is a hook, a mini-sandbox to explore, and a trail of breadcrumbs that leads to figurative exit from the scenario with some sort of finale where the PC's accomplish whatever purpose they have by some means (or fail to do so with associated consequences).
This is a good way to describe it. I often use this approach but I never really thought of it in these distinct terms before. Having it written out like this is actually handy, since I can now really think about it in gaming terms. Thanks!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
This right here is my biggest fear. I don't want my world to feel static. I think I'm getting the hang of moving background things along since I've been using countdowns with MotW, but I'm worried about doing it on a larger scale. (ADHD + anxiety for the win. Or loss, perhaps?)
Yeah. Fronts, countdowns, clocks, or whatever you want to call them are amazing for making the world feel dynamic. All the important NPCs and factions have goals they’re working on. Give them each a clock with different time scales and/or different number of ticks before reaching that goal. Check out Blades in the Dark for the varied use of clocks. I think most of it is in the SRD. Another method is giving each a usage die. Roll it between sessions to see what pops next.

For things like weather, I found the hex flower works great.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Take a look at obsidian.md. It’s free And has feature to help draw outline with what the call a canvas But look at excaladraw it’s a plug-in for obsidian there are tons of people that use it for organizing

check out these tutorials
I can't grok this; I've tried. I need a premade basic "setting" that already works, that I can load in and then reverse-engineer. I've asked for such in the obsidian ttrpg discord buuut no go.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
OK so... "how do you ADHD DMs organize your campaigns?"

Messily.
Google docs. Discord. Search functions.

I'm very improvisational- 90% of my setting details are made during sessions; so I quickly type names etc into discord and what/where they were, so I can Search function it later when it comes up. Messy- but I also find consistency to be important. Once something is established, it's a part of my setting (which I've been running for almost 10yrs)... things do get lost, which I hate, but I haven't found something better. Tried on and off WorldAnvil but it's "too much." I liked Obsidian Portal but their quality went down the drain a long time ago.
My methods are not great, but they work "well enough" for my ~5 games/week.

Remove ads