• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Curse of Strahd: Barovia needs about 10x more people

One observation that I'd make is that increasing the population tenfold, and adding loads of farms, might make the setting make more sense; but it might do absolutely nothing for the actual at-the-table experience of your players (and yourself!). I'm not sure that the average group really cares all that much about the fundamental socioeconomic basis of the town that they are adventuring to save, though they tend to get very uptight about things like public executions and judicial torture. So I guess that I'm suggesting that you don't put too much effort into this, as it might be a rather profitless expenditure of time.

A comment that I saw recently: RPGs are like theatre, in that the whole world consists solely and entirely of the stage. Reference can be made to things and events outside of that stage, but until the characters travel to experience said things (and thus bring them onto the stage), those things do not truly 'exist' as far as the play/game is concerned. I suspect that this comment will be wildly controversial though, which perhaps makes it quite interesting.

Rils

Explorer
One observation that I'd make is that increasing the population tenfold, and adding loads of farms, might make the setting make more sense; but it might do absolutely nothing for the actual at-the-table experience of your players (and yourself!). I'm not sure that the average group really cares all that much about the fundamental socioeconomic basis of the town that they are adventuring to save, though they tend to get very uptight about things like public executions and judicial torture. So I guess that I'm suggesting that you don't put too much effort into this, as it might be a rather profitless expenditure of time.

While typically I would agree with that, in this setting, it might make a bit more difference. The socioeconomic basis is described as consisting of three towns - one is practically deserted, and the other two are walled and fortified. In fact, the area around Vallaki is described as so dangerous that the inhabitants won't take the 15 minute walk to the lake to go fishing, and although there are buildings outside the walls, they are abandoned and dilapidated. (man, so many big words...) As described, it makes no sense for there to be outlying farms or people living off the land - otherwise the danger of the setting is nullified. Why all the fuss of finding safety in the walled town before nightfall, if you've got a couple hundred Farmer Bob's off in the trees minding their own business?

So in this case, I'd argue it does affect both the player and DM experience - because it 100% changes the tone of the game. The night-time random encounter table becomes completely useless because all those prowling horrors would be off terrorizing the farmers. Or, you'd have to find a reeeeaaaalll good reason why several hundred people can live in solitary homesteads no problem, while the DM rolls on that encounter table every fifteen minutes for a small band of adventurers...

For me, it causes more problems than it solves, and kind of cheapens the vibe of the place. Plus I have the good fortune of players who accept things like that at face value, without trying to be too simulationist about the detailed economies in nightmare realms.

RotGrub

First Post
A Ravenloft domain can consist of a single estate if need be. The people within can remain completely oblivious to that fact. IMO, mysterious inconsistencies can make the domain even more terrifying.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
The overworld map shows fields around the village of Barovia. I'm going to assume that this is the only reason anyone lives there -- they make a decent living exporting grain to the other two villages. Farmers work the fields during the day, then hustle to get home before nightfall. The residents of Vallaki and Kzech supplement their diet with vegetable gardens and small livestock. Goat cheese is popular.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that The Curse of Strahd indicates the following facts about Barovia:
  • Population of about 3000, mostly living in villages of Barovia, Vallaki, and Krezk
  • The Village of Barovia has an elected burgomaster in a well-appointed mansion, but everyone is too scared to even leave their homes
  • Very low influx of population, mostly just a handful of adventurers at a time who are quickly killed (i.e., they don't settle down and raise a family)
  • Barovians are self-sufficient for food, manufactured goods, etc.
  • The woods are chock-full of werewolves, zombies, blights, ghosts, revenants, evil druids, etc.
  • Barovia has been isolated for, what, 400 or 700 years?

All reasons why I went with the Innistrad setting instead. Much richer IMHO.

intently

Explorer

Yeah, I'm not going to put too much effort into it. Mostly scenery.

A comment that I saw recently: RPGs are like theatre, in that the whole world consists solely and entirely of the stage. Reference can be made to things and events outside of that stage, but until the characters travel to experience said things (and thus bring them onto the stage), those things do not truly 'exist' as far as the play/game is concerned. I suspect that this comment will be wildly controversial though, which perhaps makes it quite interesting.

Just like "real life"! Thanks for briefly visiting my stage ;)

jasper

Rotten DM
.....Of course you can't have a functioning ecosystem. There is no sun. No direct sunlight means no plants means no animals. The Wizard of Wines have magic gems to keep their crops growing.
Obviously you've never visited the UK! ....
Even Strahd would not visit such a dreary place. :devil:

We see Sam "Bud" Wise mild manner USPS mail carrier in his loading his cart. "no, No, No, I am not doing it. Not a dozen lost souls care of Barovia. Can the TSA put that Plane off limits!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads