Curtains#2 - It Came From Below!

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Dr. Steven Faturius (Professor Fate)

The Centurion, Parkside, Coast City
April 17
12:46

Steven replayed the events in his head, curious if they had actually done some good last night. He had hoped so, healing those affected by Pestilence hopefully went a long way toward restoring the good will of the people of this town.

Rybaer said:
"I guess so," she says. "Well, I was just calling to see how you were doing. Got any plans for the day, or are you still just taking it easy?"

“You know what I say . . .’You can’t improve your life if you’re sitting there watching it pass you by’ . . . but I really have no plans,” Steven replied to Maggie. He breathed in the coastal air – though it was already tainted by the city – less so coming from the park.

“What did you have in mind?” he asked. He padded over to his apartment door, looking to grab the morning papers.

Rybaer

First Post
Hightower Hotel room #1723, Downtown, Coast City
April 17
9:58

Andrew flips a couple coins at Lawrence. "Try Memorial," he says. "It's less than a mile from here and would probably be the most likely place they'd take a gunshot victim."

Lawrence calls and gets patched through to an operator. He is frustrated to learn that she cannot tell him anything due to patient's rights and security. Lawrence tries to convince her that he is both a friend and the rescuer of Gus. With only a first name (that may or may not be his real name), she won't even confirm if someone matching the description arrived.

The operator must sense something in Lawrence's voice and she asks him for his name and tells him to hold for a few minutes. After nearly five minutes, she finally comes back on the line.

"Sir," she says. "I checked with the triage, who spoke with the patient you are referring to. Augustus Thorpson IV verified that you are a friend of his and that I could pass along his status to you.

"He is in good and stable condition. He's currently staying in room G319. Visiting hours are from 10 to 6 today and you are welcome to come at during that time."

Lawrence thanks her and tells Andrew that he is at Memorial hopsital. Andrew checks his watch and tells Lawrence that it will be past ten by the time they get there and park.

Memorial hosptial is a sprawling monstrosity of a building, housing numerous clinics and thousands of rooms. Fortunately, there are signs and directories at nearly every intersection and Lawrence and Andrew are able to find the room without too much trouble.

"Hey Lawrence," Gus says from his inclined bed. Lawrence hardly recognizes the man - cleaned up and dressed in a hospital gown. He looks to be in good spirits.

"I can only imagine this is your brother," he says looking at Andrew. Gus offers his hand and Andrew shakes it. "The familiy resemblance is uncanny."

Rybaer

First Post
April 17
12:50

Steven said:
“What did you have in mind?” he asked. He padded over to his apartment door, looking to grab the morning papers.

Steven picks up the paper, immediately noting the bold headlines splayed across the Chronicle: "MUTANT HOSTAGE INCIDENT FOILED". There is a blurry picture from the Hightower ballroom underneath, presumably scanned from the tv crew's video feed.

"Oh, I don't know," she says. "Maybe just a quiet dinner...without psychotic mutants, business contacts, or other obligations?"

Mimic

First Post
Brass Rails, Downtown, Coast City
April 17
20:14

Hardy har har, really funny. Thomas says as Deuce finishes talking, although he says it with a grin taking the joking in the spirit that it was given.

Not much too it really but keep the beers coming and I will tell you what ever you want to hear. He says laughing, taking a big drink of the beer in front of him.

Thomas will tell them what happened the other night answering what ever questions they ask, generally enjoying the guys night out.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Dr. Steven Faturius (Professor Fate) HPs: 4/4

April 17
12:50

Steven smiled to himself at the headlines, and wandered into the kitchen, flipping the switch on the coffee maker to start his morning . . . er . . . afternoon brew. He stroll back to the balcony for fresh air as he continued to review the paper.

Maggie said:
"Oh, I don't know," she says. "Maybe just a quiet dinner...without psychotic mutants, business contacts, or other obligations?"

"That sounds wonderful, Maggie," Steven said, already thinking of the possibilities. "Do you have someplace in mind or should I surprise you?"

Rybaer

First Post
Brass Rails, Downtown, Coast City
April 17
22:40

Thomas tells his version of the previous night's fight at the Hightower. With each drink, it becomes more fantastic and exaggerated. After a couple hours, Deuce suggests that they go back to his apartment for some poker. Everyone agrees and the bill is quickly settled.

The streets are full of foot traffic, mostly going from club to club in this part of town. With Deuce's apartment only a few blocks away and the weather pleasantly cool, everyone agrees to walk. The guys are all in good spirits, making jokes (mostly at Thomas' expense) and ogling the more attractive women in their clubbing attire.

The street intersection about a block from the Brass Rails is obstructed by a pair of city utility vehicles and a police car with its lights flashing. The smell of sewage starts to impinge upon the relatively fresh evening air the closer Thomas gets.

Passersby are gawking at the trucks, curious to see what is going on. A manhole cover is open in the center of the intersection and two men with blue coveralls and hard hats stand nearby while a cop tries to direct traffic around the site.

As Thomas and his friends are crossing through the intersection, a shriek rips out from the manhole. The two crewmen immediately look down the hole. A panicky voice calls for help from below, then cuts off with a gurgling cry.

Rybaer

First Post
April 17
12:51

"Oh, I don't know," Maggie says coyly. "Maybe we could try that new place down on 10th...Magnolias, is it?"

Steven remembers reading a glowing review about the place in the latest issue of Coast City Insider magazine. It's an upscale cajun-style restaurant with live blues music on weekends.

"Sure," Steven says. "I'll pull a few strings and make sure we get reservations. How about eight'ish? If that doesn't work out, I'll let you know."

"Sounds lovely," she says. "And I'm driving. My poor car is in desperate need of some exercise."

Magnolias, Downtown, Coast City
Apr 17
20:18

Magnolias is exactly as billed - classy, yet with a casual and bluesy ambiance. A live blues band is playing on stage, yet it's not so loud as to prevent table conversation.

Steven and Maggie have a small table is a dark corner. Their waiter has left them to peruse the menu over a couple glasses of fine wine.

Maggie leans forward, her face illuminated softly by a small candle in the center of the table. "So tell me what you were saying to those others who helped you last night," she says. "You know, after it was all said and done? I'm curious."

Velmont

First Post
Rybaer said:
"I can only imagine this is your brother," he says looking at Andrew. Gus offers his hand and Andrew shakes it. "The familiy resemblance is uncanny."

"I present you Andrew. Yes, it is my brother. He has come search me this morning. I got a free room at the hotel for what I have done. And I got a good breakfast. I hope for you the hospital's food is good.

I wanted to know who it goes with you. You seem to feel better. You may like to learn what happen yesterday, after we stop those mutants. The one named Fate suggested to create some kind of vigilent group. Something that could help the police with mutant case. I havn't given my answer yet, but i think I will join them. Maybe it will help me to accept what I am."

Rybaer

First Post
Room G319, Memorial Hospital, Downtown, Coast City
Apr 17
10:22

"A pleasure to meet you, Andrew," Gus says with a genuine smile.

"Yeah, well, the food here ain't all that, but I had to survive on worse in my Army days. Good to hear that you got a comfortable night's sleep and good breakfast. You look a little bit more lively for it, if you don't mind my saying."

Gus nods in the direction of the little television at the end of his bed.

"And I saw plenty of what you guys got involved with last night," he says. "Probably a good thing that there were a couple others there to help you and that rock fella. Yeah, it sure did seem like you guys clicked, even if the tactics were a little haphazard.

"And you say that Professor Fate guy suggested the possibility of forming a team? Might be just the thing for you for a while. Hang around with some guys that all have a common connection and working toward a singular purpose. If you do it, just be careful and don't let people push you in the wrong direction...or use your powers toward the wrong sort of thing. Stick to your own sense of right and wrong."

Gus's eyes nod closed for a moment. He looks tired.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Magnolias, Downtown, Coast City
Apr 17
20:18

Steven dressed for the occasion in his standard colors of greens and greys, in this case grey dress pants with a deep green sweater, thin enough to not be too hot indoors but warm enough if it got cold. He enjoyed the ambiance of room and the company of Maggie. He looked briefly around the room upon entering, checking out the crowd for notables - though not wishing to be notable himself today.

Maggie said:
Maggie leans forward, her face illuminated softly by a small candle in the center of the table. "So tell me what you were saying to those others who helped you last night," she says. "You know, after it was all said and done? I'm curious."

"Well, I just mentioned that I thought that Professor Fate and the others worked well together. And if they should ever need the Professor's assistance in the future, they could contact me and I would put them in touch," Steven explained lightly. "I guess I should have expected that metahumans of a like mind would eventually band together, and that might be more than any one hero could handle. I mena, it hadn't really occurred to me until last night."

Remove ads