Curtains#2 - It Came From Below!

Mimic

First Post
<ooc: everyone is pretty much caught up now>

Brass Rails, Downtown, Coast City
April 17
22:40

Rybaer said:
As Thomas and his friends are crossing through the intersection, a shriek rips out from the manhole. The two crewmen immediately look down the hole. A panicky voice calls for help from below, then cuts off with a gurgling cry.

What the hell? Thomas shifts to his granite form almost without realising it. He looks over at his friends and shrugs a little.

Hang tight for a minute, going to see if they need any help. he says as he walks towards the crewmen.

Hey, your buddy ok? Do you need any help?

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Dr. Steven Faturius (Prof. Fate) HP's: 4/4

Outside Magnolias, Downtown, Coast City
Apr 17
22:40

Steven, even the gentleman, offerred Maggie his jacket as she shivered slightly in the spring night air. He was hoping that she would stay cuddled up next to him, but he didn't want her too cold.

Steven actually saw all of the vehicles and patrol cars before Maggie did, but was trying his best to ignore them. He wanted to keep his attention on her, especially since he was so exhausted the night before the he felt he hadn't spent enough time with her.

Maggie said:
"I guess that'd be part of the sewer problem," she says. "Hope it's not too big of a deal. So, anyway, where are we going now?"

"Well, I would like for us to head back to the apartment, maybe some after dinner drinks and lounging on the terrace overlooking the city," Steven said, his eyes occasionally looking over to the various vehicles, wondering if there was any real trouble there.

Rybaer

First Post
(Steven/Lawrence)

Apr 17
22:41

Maggie accepts Steven's jacket appreciatively, slipping it on over her shoulders. Moments later, the distinctive ring of Steven's cell phone starts bleeping from one of the pockets.

Maggie finds the phone and hands it over. "For you, I guess."

Steven reluctantly answers.

"Hi, Dr. Faturius?" the voice says. "This is Lawrence Thorn...one of the metahumans from last night. Well, I think we might need your friend's help. I just saw on the news some guy kill a police officer after coming up out of the sewers. The cops beat him and shot him, but it didn't seem to do any good."

A street corner, Downtown, Coast City
Apr 17

Thomas shifts into Granite and heads over to the scene of the disturbance. One of the cops is also hurrying over to the manhole to see what the yelling was all about.

Two city workers are looking down the hole. One of them grabs a heavy wrench and tells the other that he's going down to see what's happening.

Granite said:
Hey, your buddy ok? Do you need any help?

The remaining utility worker looks up and does a double-take. "Oh, hey, you're that guy that was on tv. Uh, not really sure what's going on, but we've got a couple guys down there and it sounds like one of them might be in trouble. We're not supposed to let folks down there, but I suppose we could make an exception in your case if you want to help check it out."

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Dr. Steven Faturius (Professor Fate) HPs: 4/4

Apr 17

Lawrence said:
"Hi, Dr. Faturius?" the voice says. "This is Lawrence Thorn...one of the metahumans from last night. Well, I think we might need your friend's help. I just saw on the news some guy kill a police officer after coming up out of the sewers. The cops beat him and shot him, but it didn't seem to do any good."

‘No, no, no, no, no . . . ,’ Steven thought as Lawrence spoke. Steven’s face fell as he heard the explanation. “I understand, son . . . . I’ll give him a call as soon as we hang up here. What’s the location?”

After he got the directions, Steven looked to Maggie. “I’m sorry Maggie, I’m going to have to ask for a rain check on our plans. Apparently, there may be something to this sewer thing . . . . Something’s down there, and it killed a policeman. I’ve got to do what I can.”

Steven tired to remember if he brought his costume with him (he hadn’t) and realized that he would have to return to the apartment before heading off to help Lawrence.

Mimic

First Post
Granite heath:fine hp:4

Apr 17

Granite nods and heads back towards his friends. "This might take a few, why don't you guys go start the poker game and I will catch up with you when I'm done."

Granite will do his best to convince his friends to leave, when they do he will go back to the manhole see if he can get a flashlight or some other kind of light source and then head down muttering about getting his best pair of clothes dirty.

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Apr 17
22:42

Steven Faturius said:
‘No, no, no, no, no . . . ,’ Steven thought as Lawrence spoke. Steven’s face fell as he heard the explanation. “I understand, son . . . . I’ll give him a call as soon as we hang up here. What’s the location?”

Steven hears Lawrence conferring with someone else, then he comes back on the line. "My brother thinks that the news crew was over in front of the new Nike superstore on...what is it...16th Street? Something like that."

Steven thanks Lawrence and promises to pass the information along to Professor Fate immediately. Maggie's car arrives and she tips the valet and takes the wheel.

"Don't worry about it," she says with a hint of forced optimism. "I'm sure this super hero gig won't be all fun and games. Back to your apartment for the suit, then?"

The location Lawrence gave Faturius is about seven or eight blocks from Magnolias. His apartment is about another six blocks beyond that. Maggie doesn't pass the Nike store, though she does get routed around another blocked off intersection. That makes at least three sites that Steven is aware of where city workers appear to be dealing with the sewers.

About eight minutes later, Maggie pulls up in front of Steven's apartment building. "I suppose you can get yourself where you're going?" she says. "Do take care and give me a call later to let me know what's going on." She leans over to give him a quick kiss and a squeeze on the thigh.

Andrew's car, Jamestown Heights, Coast City
Apr 17

Lawrence hangs up and follows Andrew out the door, pausing only to give his mother a quick hug on the way out. She has a worried look on her face, one he realizes that he's seen before when his father had been going out for a particularly rough day of police work.

Andrew drives quickly, but not so fast as to draw attention of any passing police cars. Traffic is light at this time of evening, so they make good time.

"Just head over to where that news crew was filming?" Andrew asks and Lawrence nods an affirmative. "So, who was that you called again?"

Apr 17

Granite tells his friends to go get the poker game going. They shuffle off a bit, but Granite has the distinct feeling that they've decided to stick around and watch along with the rest of the growing crowd. He tries to focus on the matter at hand.

Granite manages to get a spare hard hat from one of the utility crewmen, one with a built-in light on top. The crewman helps strap it on his head and clicks the light on. He can only imagine what he looks like, but at least he'll have light.

He slides down the ladder and lands in an inch of stagnant water. It is warm and humid down in the sewer access tunnels. Granite also finds that he has to hunch over just slightly to walk. He hears a bit of noise down one direction and moves toward it.

He pokes his head around a side tunnel, this one deeper and with a little bit of open sewage flowing past. About twenty feet away, a utility crewman has his back turned to Granite. He appears to be standing over a fallen companion. Just a few feet further down the tunnel is something that catches Granite's breath. A wall of some grayish green, fuzzy organic matter has plugged up nearly the entire tunnel...and it appears to be slowly moving his direction. Bulbs the size of baseballs protrude on stalks here and there, glowing ever so slightly in phosphorescent green. A few thin tendrils reach out and start to dig into the flesh of the fallen man.

The utility worker turns toward Granite, aware of his presence. The man's flesh has a sickly mottled appearance. His eyes are devoid of humanity and have a slight phosphorescent green glow to them, just like the bulbs.

He starts to stalk toward Granite in an awkward, but clearly threatening manner.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Seeing his mother worrying, he tell her.

"I will come back, and with father. You do not need to worry."

And he walks into the car.

"Well, as I have no idea where te action is now, yes, just go to where was the reporter.

Dr Faturius. He is the one who have suggested to form the group. He is the contact for Fate. Fate is some kind of spelcaster or something like that, as I have seen him. Faturius have the numbers of the other two guys too I think. So, at least, if there is something really bad happening, I won't be alone. Anyway, I just want to make sure father is ok, and that thing can be handle. I'll be happy to do nothing if they don't need me."

Mimic

First Post
Granite health:fine hp:4

What the hell is that? Granite says as he looks at the moving wall. And what are you supposed to be? A pissed off extra from a zombie move? He says to the man coming towards him.

Granite assumes a defensive position and waits for the "man" to come into range.

<ooc: Granite will hold his attack and then attempt to grapple his opponent when he gets within range>

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Professor Fate: Unhurt, Hero Pts 4

The Centurion, Coast City
Apr 17
22:50

Maggie said:
"I suppose you can get yourself where you're going?" she says. "Do take care and give me a call later to let me know what's going on." She leans over to give him a quick kiss and a squeeze on the thigh.

Steven nodded in response and replied, "I will . . . and thanks for being so understanding." He was somewhat distracted by thinking about what was to come, but focused enough to be thoughtful and speak from the heart to Maggie.

He watched for a moment or two as Maggie pulled away, then headed into the Centurion, tipping the doorman on the way in - as was his custom.

"Bartholomew, how are you tonight? Anything exciting?" Steven asked in passing.

Steven made his way to his apartment, walking at a normal pace. At the room, he locked up the door and made certain the terrace curtains were drawn. He gathered his briefcase and began to change into costume. As he changed he thought about the powers that he had developed so far.

Essentially, all Steven had to do was verbalize his wishes and direct the result with his hands. He still could seem to work illusions or control people - his mind just wasn't wired that way. He wondered if he could will himself into costume, instantly changing, much like the comic books he read as a child. Time and effort would have been saved, and maybe more lives as well.

He decided to see if it would work. Regardless of the result, Professor Fate went intangible, willed himself to fly, them made his way through the building to exit into the city itself.*

* - see OOC thread

Radiant

First Post
Jorgi

"Ohgreat,somuchforadaywihouttrouble"

Jorgi thinks hard about not reacting to the scream. Screams mean shok or pain and those probably mean a lot of trouble and danger. Before he can come to a decision he realizes that he's allready running down the stairs, leaping over the sides to save time.

"ThenthehelldidIbecomeafrikinhero?"

Remove ads