Curtains#2 - It Came From Below!

Rybaer

First Post
The sewers, Downtown, Coast City
Apr 17
22:44

The zombie, as Granite puts it, shambles toward him. Granite holds his position and then clamps down on the zombie's shoulders with incredible strength. The zombie feebly attempts to bite his arm, but his teeth are unable to penetrate Granite's stony flesh.

(Attack roll 12+7=19, hit; Opposed grapple check 8+11=19 vs 12, success)

(Bite attack roll 18, hit; Protection negates damage)

Keyhole Apartments, Riverside, Coast City
Apr 17
22:45

Jorgi runs down the stairs and through the lobby. He clearly hears Ms. Larson down in the basement yell at someone to get away from her. He vaults over the railing and lands halfway down the stairs to the basement.

In the gloomy basement hallway, Jorgi sees the plumber slowly advancing upon Ms. Larson. She appears to have tripped over a toolbox in her haste to get away from him.

Jorgi can tell that there is something not right with the plumber. The way he is walking is awkward at best. And his eyes...are they glowing?

The Centurion, Coast City
Apr 17
22:50

Steven Faturius said:
He watched for a moment or two as Maggie pulled away, then headed into the Centurion, tipping the doorman on the way in - as was his custom.

"Bartholomew, how are you tonight? Anything exciting?" Steven asked in passing.

"Good evening, Dr. Faturius," Bartholomew says, tipping his hat in thanks. "Just the sewers, sir. I'd suggest you try to avoid flushing or running too much water. Things seem to be backing up a bit right now."

Steven adds the tidbit to his growing sense of concern and hurries up to his room. He pulls out his briefcase and decides to try using his innate powers to will his suit onto himself. With a faint pop, he finds that his costume has replaced his street clothes. Out of curiosity, he opens the briefcase and finds his street clothes inside, neatly folded.

He turns intangible and flies through the ductwork of the building, up and out through the roof where he could go unseen.

16th Street, Downtown, Coast City
Apr 17
22:52

A truck from a local news station, four police cars, and two city utility vehicles crowd the street in front of the new Nike superstore. Over a hundred interested passersby are trying to get a view, but ever since the gun was discharged they are keeping a respectable distance.

Andrew has to pull his car over about two hundred feet from the collection of vehicles. Lawrence hops out and starts to hurry over. Andrew follows a short distance behind.

As he gets closer, Lawrence can see that the cops have managed to restrain the utility worker with several pairs of handcuffs binding his arms and ankles. In spite of this, and the bullet through the head, the utility worker is still struggling mightily to get free. The cops are split between trying to keep the news crew and civilians back and watching over their captive.

Lawrence happens to catch a glimpse of movement overhead and notes the flying arrival of Professor Fate in all his costumed glory.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Professor Fate: Unhurt, Hero Pts 4

Apr 17

Fate was pleased by the change, and inspected himself several times to make certain everything was in place. With that accomplished, Fate felt a sense of pride in his abilities, more certain that he would be able to help those in need – even after his exploits the night before.

Professor Fate spent his time thinking on the flight over . . . ‘Multiple locations – all with sewer issues, something must have backed up a main junction somewhere within the sewers. I probably should get a sewer map from somewhere to better analyze this,’ Professor Fate thought.

As he neared the location, Lawrence had indicated, Professor Fate descended and landed near a utility truck, close to where most of the commotion was. He spent the next several moments trying to make sense of what was happening around him.

Mimic

First Post
Granite heath:fine hp:4

Apr 17

It's time for nighty night. Granite tells the thing as he pulls back his fist, while he continues to grapple it.

<ooc:attack using power attack, since it is grappled surprise attack should come into play. If he only stuns it he will use takedown attack feat to attack again>

Velmont

First Post
As Lawrence makes his way into the crowd, he try to spot where Professor Fate is landing. He sees him landing inside the perimeter. When he arrived at the line made by the police, Lawrence stops and tell to the policeman in front of him.

"Hi, I'm with that guy." Pointing Professor Fate. "Can you let me pass? And by the way, do you know where is the Officier Thorn?"

Last edited:

Radiant

First Post
Jorgi Vladislav

"Glowingeyes?
Comeonwhoareyougonaimpresswiththat,evenIcandoit."

With a thought Jorgi sends an overcharge of electricity through the light bulbs overhead the worker and runs to Ms Larson's side to help her up.

"Howdoyousayrunforyourlifeinthiscountry?"

If possible he will push her up and try to lead her up the stairs. This reminds him far too much of childhood fears of monsters in the basement. Especially then they're running up the stairs with the hope to smash the door behind them before the thing can reach them.

Rybaer

First Post
Apr 17

Granite plants his fist into the "zombie's" chest. It caves inward and some of the skin rips from the torso and up through the neck as if it were paper. Some blood begins to seep out of the wound, but mostly a thick mass of greenish-gray fibrous filaments begin squirming out. They seem drawn to Granite's hand.

The force of the blow, in addition to tearing away some of the flesh, sunders the cohesiveness of the body and it ceases to struggle.

(ooc - a foe you are grappled with does not lose its defense bonus against the fellow grappler, only to those outside the grapple. So, Suprise Strike wouldn't come into play. Regardless, the power attack was far too much for the thing to withstand.)

Keyhole Apartments, Riverside, Coast City
Apr 17
22:45

Jorgi sends a surge of electricity through the fluorescent light fixture above the plumber. The bulbs snap and pop out in a shower of sparks and the smell of ozone overwhelms the mustiness of the basement. The plumber's green glowing eyes are much more obvious now.

Ms. Larson seems to get a boost to her spirits at the sight of help and is able to get shakily to her feet. Jorgi tries to push her toward the stairs, but she is moving just slowly enough that the plumber is able to catch up and take a swipe at Jorgi and grabs a handful of his jacket.

Sensing that he'd be on the losing end of a strength contest, Jorgi simply slips out of the jacket and hurries Ms. Larson up the stairs, slamming the door shut behind him. Footsteps indicate that the plumber is not far behind.

Apr 17

Professor Fate lands next to one of the utility trucks, drawing much of the attention of the on-lookers and police officers. Lawrence points out the costumed hero to the officer who had stopped him.

"You're with him?" the officer says. "Yeah, sure you are. Look, this isn't really a place you want to be right now. As for Officer Thorn, the name sounds familiar, but I can't say I know him for sure. Might be from another precinct."

Professor Fate notes the transaction between the officer and Lawrence and comes over to smooth things out. He assumes his most diplomatic posture. "Officer," he says, "this young man is indeed with me. He was one of the metahuman heroes from the incident at the hightower last night. We worked side by side to put a quick end to that situation."

The officer looks at Lawrence dubiously, then recognition begins to set in. "Oh, geez. You're the one who turns into that swarm of spiders. Yeah, well, I guess it's okay then. Just stay away from the guy in cuffs. Somethin' ain't right there and I suspect it's related to them energy curtains. He took a bullet through the head and just keeps on fighting."

Velmont

First Post
"Thanks, mister." say Lawrence, as he pass the perimeter "Is he the only guys like that, or you have other manifestion like him in the city?"

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Professor Fate: Unhurt, Hero Pts 4

Apr 17

Professor Fate listens to the officer's explanation, as well as the question by Lawrence. He thanked Lawrence for contacting him, and briefly held off trying to get ahold of the others - at least until he had a better idea of what was going on.

Officer said:
" . . . Just stay away from the guy in cuffs. Somethin' ain't right there and I suspect it's related to them energy curtains. He took a bullet through the head and just keeps on fighting."

"Well, that just doesn't seem normal, does it?" Professor Fate said, somewhat sarcastically. "Could you explain the situation to me. Did the man just turn like that in the street, did a beam of energy or a curtain hit him, or did he come up from the sewers?"

After getting his answers, Professor Fate moved to the utility truck and looked around for another repairman to question. If he doesn't find one, he'll look through the truck himself, otherwise . . .

"Excuse, good sir, can I take a look at the sewer maps for this section of the city? If I'm going to go down there, it would be a good idea to know my way around," Professor Fate asked as charsimatically as he could.

Mimic

First Post
Apr 17

Granite plants his fist into the "zombie's" chest. It caves inward and some of the skin rips from the torso and up through the neck as if it were paper. Some blood begins to seep out of the wound, but mostly a thick mass of greenish-gray fibrous filaments begin squirming out. They seem drawn to Granite's hand.

That's just gross. Granite shakes his hand trying to get rid of any remaining filaments from his hand.

He looks around and realises that there isn't much that he can do down here without further information, so goes back up topside, warning people away. Once he is back he will instuct the remaining city works to contact the police and the center for disease control.

Tell everyone to stay away from the sewers pull everyone out as fast as you can. Also see if you can contact someone named Professor Fate, tell him Granites looking for him and give him this address.

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
10th Street, Downtown, Coast City
Apr 17
22:46

Granite climbs back out of the manhole.

"What's going on down there?" one of the utility workers asks. "Did you find Chuck and Gary?"

Granite explains what he found, trying not to be too abrasive. Both utility workers and one of the traffic cops blanch in horror. At the suggestion of calling more cops and even the CDC, one of the cops gets on his radio.

Granite said:
Tell everyone to stay away from the sewers pull everyone out as fast as you can. Also see if you can contact someone named Professor Fate, tell him Granites looking for him and give him this address.

Granite then recalls that he was given a business card with a number to call if he ever wanted to get in touch with Professor Fate. He pulls out his wallet and finds it sandwiched between and ATM receipt and a ticket stub from a ballgame some eight months earlier. Dr. Steven Faturius is the name on the card.

"Uh, anyone have a cell phone I could borrow?" he says, looking up at the two utility crew members. One guy pulls a cell phone out of his shirt pocket and hands it over.

Granite carefully dials Dr. Faturius's cell phone number.

Apr 17

"Well," one of the officers says, "I know the sewer is backed up in quite a few places around the city. Our force is spread pretty thin just dealing with the traffic snarls around the utility crews. I think the utility guys are stretched even thinner.

"From what I've heard, they're finding some sort of organic growth down there, plugging up the works. Something that grows really fast.

"Now, as for this guy," he waves in the direction of the captive, "I don't know what's going on. He was one of the utility guys that went down below to check things out. There was another who went with him, but he hasn't come back yet. After this guy's appearance, no one else is willing to go into the sewers looking for him."

Professor Fate grabs one of the utility crewmen and inquires about maps of the sewers. The guy gives him a curious look. "Well, sure, we've got lots of plans for the city grid in the truck. I'm not allowed to give 'em away or anything, but I suppose you could take a look."

(If Professor Fate is carrying Faturius' cell phone, it starts ringing. If not, we'll carry on with the sewer plans.)

Remove ads