D&D 5E curving shot rules question with steady aim and sharpshooter

ECMO3

Hero
My Arcane Trickster-Arcane Archer is going to get curving shot in a few levels, which brings up an interesting question regarding both advantage and the sharpshooter -5/+10. The character also has 3 battlemaster maneuvers (quick toss, pushing attack, menacing attack) and two dice through feats and fighting style.

Curving shot: "At 7th level, you learn how to direct an errant arrow toward a new target. When you make an attack roll with a magic arrow and miss, you can use a bonus action to reroll the attack roll against a different target within 60 feet of the original target."

1. If I have advantage on the first target through steady aim do I have advantage after I miss too?

2. I make a decision on whether or not to use the -5/+10 sharpshooter on the original target, if I miss the original target, do I need to stick with that decision on the second target as well, or can I change it before the second roll (for example I go -5/+10 and miss, can I then go normal and forgo the +10 damage on the curve).

With Sneak Attack, Arcane Shot, Battlemaster maneuvers and bracers of Archery it is usually not mathematically advantageous for me to use the -5/+10 on a single target. However having four chances to land my dice (2 attacks with 2 rolls each), I might as well to try for the big damage and then change it to normal if I miss. Also if I do not have sneak attack for the second target and don't plan on using a maneuver or shot then I might want to turn the -5/+10 on since without those extra dice it is usually better to go for the high damage.

1. sure - the advantage flows with the arrow
2. no - the sharpshooter decision is made up front before the initial roll and flows with the arrow

I mean, that's how I'd rule it. Keeps it less fiddly, too, which speeds up play.

IMO:
1) No, advantage would be calculated for the second target all on its own.
2) Yes, you make this decision before you fire te arrow. The arrw is in the air, you don't get to change your mind.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
My Arcane Trickster-Arcane Archer is going to get curving shot in a few levels, which brings up an interesting question regarding both advantage and the sharpshooter -5/+10. The character also has 3 battlemaster maneuvers (quick toss, pushing attack, menacing attack) and two dice through feats and fighting style.

Curving shot: "At 7th level, you learn how to direct an errant arrow toward a new target. When you make an attack roll with a magic arrow and miss, you can use a bonus action to reroll the attack roll against a different target within 60 feet of the original target."

1. If I have advantage on the first target through steady aim do I have advantage after I miss too?
If you have steady aim on the first target, you don't have a bonus action available to use curving shot. But if, somehow, you did, I would not apply advantage. That applied to your next shot and you've used it... and missed.
2. I make a decision on whether or not to use the -5/+10 sharpshooter on the original target, if I miss the original target, do I need to stick with that decision on the second target as well, or can I change it before the second roll (for example I go -5/+10 and miss, can I then go normal and forgo the +10 damage on the curve).
I'd apply it. It's the same shot.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
No, your steady aim was for the first target, which you missed.

Yes, I would say so. You repeat the attack roll and the attack roll included a -5 penalty on the attack roll.

ECMO3

Hero
If you have steady aim on the first target, you don't have a bonus action available to use curving shot. But if, somehow, you did, I would not apply advantage. That applied to your next shot and you've used it... and missed.
Good point, I missed that. I might not even go to level 7 then as I don't have a lot of BAs available.

Between Cunning Action, Steady Aim, Mage Hand Legerdemain, quick toss and Hex (through Fey touched) I rarely have a bonus available.

Last edited:

Remove ads