Custom divine abilities, portfolios, etc.

What if I made if I made it higher tier? I guess part of why I made it is it never made sense to me that you got a penalty to attack rolls for being big.
Well thats why I made an expanded size rules post.
If anything, you'd think it would be the other way around, since if the body part they are attacking with is bigger it would be harder to dodge.
This is why I just made a new way of doing the size penalties and bonuses just making them in line with other statistical progressions via size increase or decrease. At a certain point size becomes recklessly out of whack with the rest of the stats in a bad way and that seems stupid to me.

That said, just getting rid of it is like just getting rid of a CMB/Grappling score or a Will save. It's integral to the mechanics of the game to function correctly, just it was never initially intended to function as it does.

The main reason why it's problematic is that the bigger you get the bigger your damage dice, AC, strength and constitution and the lower your dex gets. Which makes sense, no bacteria no matter how scary in the microcosmos can hurt us one on one, sure a bunch of them infecting us can kill us but one on one it seems ridiculous.

Likewise a big ass creature can't hit us as easily as we're too small, we can get away, but if they get us, we're naughty word, think about getting attacked by an elephant for example. You might be able to escape but you're not going to fist fight the thing down.

That idea is written into DnD rules to mimic it to some level, but at a certain point they're not expecting beings the size of planets to be attacking. Also UK and I talked about this at the time, he intended mega size being's attacks to be treated as AoE effects vs a Reflex Save, but the rules never really got fleshed out properly.

https://www.enworld.org/threads/alternate-size-penalties-to-attack-and-ac-past-titanic.684871/

Bootlebat

Explorer
OH I thought I'd make a fix for Doombringer as I always thought it seemed way too weak. I also took away the preform 70 ranks and razor tongue prerequisites, as that makes no sense to me.
Doombringer (Cosmic) (SU)
You can cause foes to re-experience old wounds.
Prerequisites: Cha 70
Benefit: With a successful touch attack (requiring a standard action) you can cause a foe to re-experience the greatest pain they ever suffered.
The target is reduced to 1 HP with no saving through. A creature cannot be affected by this ability more than once per day. Creatures with infinite HP are unaffected.

Obly99

Hero
OH I thought I'd make a fix for Doombringer as I always thought it seemed way too weak. I also took away the preform 70 ranks and razor tongue prerequisites, as that makes no sense to me.
. Doombringer (Cosmic) (SU)
You can cause foes to re-experience old wounds.
Prerequisites: Cha 70
Benefit: With a successful touch attack (requiring a standard action) you can cause a foe to re-experience the greatest pain they ever suffered.
The target is reduced to 1 HP with no saving through. A creature cannot be affected by this ability more than once per day. Creatures with infinite HP are unaffected.
To 1 hp and with no ST is to much OP imo

Bootlebat

Explorer
To 1 hp and with no ST is to much OP imo
What about they are reduced to 1 percent of their HP then? Just losing 25 percent (how it official works) seems like it would be nothing more than a nuisance, particularly if it can only affect someone once per day.

Last edited:

What about they are reduced to 1 percent of their HP then? Just losing 25 percent (how it official works) seems like it would be nothing more than a nuisance, particularly if it can only affect someone once per day.
Doombringer as is is pretty weak to be sure. Honestly, I'm not sure how to fix it, it's pretty useless, seems like a giant waste of a cosmic power tbh.

THExFALLEN

Explorer
Thoughts? Too strong too weak? I took this idea for a Demon Prince of Flash Floods, Drowning and Rainstorms.

I copied and pasted a similar effect and made small edits. I'm not sure how I'd go about making any more edits to this yet if any.

Drowning Aura (Su) [Divine Ability]
Prerequisites: Divine Aura

Benefits: Your divine aura is an emanation of suffocating drowning, with a watery glint and deadly threat for creatures that breathe. All other breathing creatures within your divine aura are treated as if beneath water in terms of being able to breathe. Your aura accelerates the process of drowning.

Normally, a creature can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to twice its Constitution score before it begins to drown. Within the drowning aura, a creature can only hold its breath if it makes a DC 10+Your Divine Rank Constitution check every round. Each round, the DC increases by 1. When the character finally fails its Constitution check, it begins to drown. In the first round, it falls unconscious (0 hit points). In the following round, it drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, if still in the drowning aura, it drowns.

Thoughts? Too strong too weak? I took this idea for a Demon Prince of Flash Floods, Drowning and Rainstorms.

I copied and pasted a similar effect and made small edits. I'm not sure how I'd go about making any more edits to this yet if any.

Benefits: Your divine aura is an emanation of suffocating drowning, with a watery glint and deadly threat for creatures that breathe. All other breathing creatures within your divine aura are treated as if beneath water in terms of being able to breathe. Your aura accelerates the process of drowning.

Normally, a creature can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to twice its Constitution score before it begins to drown. Within the drowning aura, a creature can only hold its breath if it makes a DC 10+Your Divine Rank Constitution check every round. Each round, the DC increases by 1. When the character finally fails its Constitution check, it begins to drown. In the first round, it falls unconscious (0 hit points). In the following round, it drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, if still in the drowning aura, it drowns.
This seems perfect as a divine aura divine tier ability.

THExFALLEN

Explorer
Winter's Eyes [Epic]
Prerequisites:Alertness, Spot 20 Ranks

Benefit:You can see normally within whiteout conditions.

Normal:Visibility is 5 feet.

Whiteout Aura (Su) [Divine Ability]

Prerequisites:Winter Domain, Divine Aura

Benefit: All creatures (Including you) within your divine aura are treated as if they are under the effects of being within "whiteout conditions" found in Frostburn chapter 1, pg13

[Whiteout]
Whiteout conditions occur in snowstorms or blizzards
accompanied by a strong or stronger wind force. However, it doesn’t have to be precipitating to create whiteout conditions. Snow fields buffeted by severe or stronger winds can also cause creatures to experience a whiteout.

Characters in whiteout conditions take a –2 penalty to
AC, lose any Dexterity bonus to AC, move at half speed, and take a –4 penalty on Dexterity-based skill checks, as well as Search, Spot, and any other checks that rely on vision. The character also gains total concealment (50% miss chance). These effects end when the character leaves the area of whiteout. Whiteout conditions stack with wind and snowfall. Visibility is 5 feet.

Last edited:

Obly99

Hero

It's divine but not really useful because at that level 90% of creatures no longer need to breath

THExFALLEN

Explorer
It's divine but not really useful because at that level 90% of creatures no longer need to breath
I suppose that's true. I guess it's base version would be better taken as a disciple, prophet or with Cryptomnesia.

CRYPTOMNESIA [EPIC] (VAR.)
You have been chosen by fate for some unknown purpose.
Prerequisites: Cha 25.
Benefit: You gain a divine ability (instead of a feat), however, it is locked
within your subconscious mind and you can only use it under some
predetermined situation or clause.
Possible clauses might include: only functions against a certain creature
type (as per the Bane weapon special ability), or in a certain place (in
defence of your deities holy places for instance), or perhaps at a certain
time (such as under a full moon, or one day per week).
Special: The GM determines the exact clause.
Adventure Idea: The GM could keep the exact clause a secret from
the player, only revealing itself at some dramatic moment.

I'll also add some improved upon versions. Wording is a bit choppy because It's a quick rough draft but what are your thoughts?

Greater Drowning Aura (Su) [Divine Ability]
Prerequisites: Divine Aura, Drowning Aura

Benefits: As "Drowning Aura" except, it can even effect creatures who normally don't need to breath, as long as they do not have the aquatic subtype, and are equal or less divine rank than you.

Superior Drowning Aura (Su) [Divine Ability]
Prerequisites: Divine Aura, Greater Drowning Aura

Benefits: As "Greater Drowning Aura" except, In addition, all creatures other than you are treated as being under water for all purposes. DC 20+Divine Rank for Swim DC

Perfect Drowning Aura (Su) [Divine Ability]
Prerequisites: Divine Aura, Greater Drowning Aura, Superior Drowning Aura

Benefits: As ""Superior Drowning Aura" except, the DC 15+Your Divine Rank Constitution check every round. Each round, the DC increases by 2. In addition, you may choose any number of allies within your aura to no longer be hampered or harmed by any effects of your Drowning Aura however may still swim through it like calm waters DC 10. Your aura also acts as though it has water pressure with you being the "ocean floor" starting after 500ft a creature within your aura takes 1d6 points of dmg and this increases by another 1d6 per 100ft.

Example; The Demon King Sivnic has a divine aura of 780ft. Each round a creature within the aura takes 1d6 if they are within 280ft of Sivnic and take up to 3d6 if they are within 80ft or less from Sivnic. This damage happens each round the creature remains within the high pressurized area within the aura.

Last edited:

Remove ads