D&D (2024) Custom lineage for 5.5E. Build your own race:

Mephista

Adventurer
Totally not a Gith
We've got orcs, we've got fiends, dhampirs and beastfolk and more. So, with all the monsterfolk running around, it's time to do the PC version of the abomination. For this, I want to start with the Gith as a base.
(1)Psychic Resistance - resist psychic damage,
(1) Communicate telepathically
(1) Skill: Insight
And a choice of:
(3) Flayer Psionics - Invisible Mage Hand cantrip. Cast Detect Thoughts a number of times equal to Proficiency.
(3) Slaad Claws - 1d4 slashing. On a hit, target must make a DC 8+CON+Proficiency or be Poisoned, number of times equal to prof.
(3) Gazer Eyes - may use eyes as a magical focus for single target spells. Grant a magical bonus equal to proficiency bonus divided by two, rounded up down.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Sorry for the necro, but since Horwath has linked this thread in a post this morning, I thought it was worth going through this in detail. I like a lot of the ideas here, but as-is, it is overpowered for its customizability. I followed the thread when it started, but didn't participate. I've thought about this list since then, and so share some thoguhts.

Inspired by custom lineage from Tasha's, but let's take it a bit further. PF1 style.

Pick your racial traits;
you have 6 trait points:
Six is reasonable, and mostly maps onto what we get in PHB lineages. A case could be made for only 5, since you are customizing it for precisely what you want -- with most lineages there are non-optimized features included. This removes the need for that. If an optimizer would only ever take the custom lineage, then it's too strong.

So if this were a replacement for lineage/species/race, then fine.

The shopping list is mostly good. I'm going to start with the negatives.
negative traits:
slow: -5ft speed, gain one trait point
small size: gain one trait point
sunlight sensitivity: gain one trait point
-1 to one ability; gain one trait point, max 2 times, cannot be taken on ability 8 or lower.
In my view, none of these are real penalties, and aren't worth an extra point.

• Slow has essentaily been written out; it can come with small size but it doesn't really impede play in a meaningful way.
  • Small size has a few limitations and a few benefits. Do they cancel each other? Mostly, yes. Not worth a point. This is flavour. Again, the game has already shown this with the "S or M" races in MotM. Players can choose whether their species is M or S. Leave it at that.
  • Sunlight sensitivity -- discussed below, but shouldn't be a penalty except in exchange for 120' darkvision.
  • -1 to an ability: not at all balanced. Players are already putting stats where they want. This is just giving benefits for taking hits on dump stats. If you start down this road, you need to commit: -2 to Dex, Wis, on Con and you get a build point.

It should HURT to take weaknesses. None of these hurt.

The rest is mostly great. I'll comment where I have tweaks.

skill proficiency, max 2 times
combination of 3 tools, languages and/or weapons, max 2 times
Being able to choose Longbow, rapier, and Thieves' tools is too much for one point, in my view.
I'd limit it to a benefit one could only take once, and also put a restriction that only one of these three could be included.

expertise in one racial tool or skill
I'd save expertise for classes.
darkvision 60ft
darkvision 120ft, worth 2 points
I'd roll these together: for 1 point you get 60'darkvision (120' if you also take sunlight sensitivity).
hardy: +2 HP, +1 HP for every level after 1st, worth 2 pts
damage type resistance(except bludgeoning, slashing or piercing), max 2 times
max once.
healthy: advantage and resistance vs poison and disease
durable: advantage on one saving throw
This seems very powerful. I'd choose it every time, multiple times if possible. 3 points?
+5 move speed, max 2 times
It wold be a big investment, but I can see some players wanting that maneuverability, so ok.
climb speed equal to move speed
swim speed equal to move speed and hold breath 1hr
burrow speed, half your speed
I would place burrow speed much higher -- 3 points? between teleport and fly. It solves so many problems.
teleport 30ft, Bonus action, prof bonus per long rest, +1 per short rest, 2pts
fly speed(wings), worth 4 points
possibly 5, if 6 points are available. (or 4 but must be small?)
cantrip, max 2 time
Ok.
one level 1 spell known, cast for free once per long rest
one level 2 spell known, cast for free once per long rest
one level 3 spell known, cast for free once per long rest, worth 2 points
The option of tolling this together might make sense in light of some of the species we've seen -- you get a level 1 at 1, a level 2 at 3, and a level 3 at 5. Even then, the lack of constraints will play into easy optimizing, so it would probably be worth three or four points all together.

At the same time, I could see a case for a magical spider species being able to buy one casting of Web or whatever -- 2 points if you are mix and matching, and taking one casting of a single spell of level 1 or 2 spell, or a level 3 spell that is not an attack (to exclude Fireball).

That actually maps the Fairy race from MotM well: Flight and one casting of Enlarge/Reduce.

extra feat: worth 5 points
natural armor 13+dex or +1 AC when wearing armor you are proficient
natural weapon 1d6+str or 1d4+dex, one attack as bonus action
I really like the way you frame this. Not the way the game is going, but it's smart.
large frame: count as one size larger for carry capacity, grappling and similar
Large frame should only be available if you are M.
Similarly, there are some that should only be available for small. Perhaps:
  • move through another's space in combat if small (= Halfling's Nimble), 1 point.
  • advantage to hide if small, 2 points
  • flight, as suggested above.

All in all, it's a very reasonable list. And it might be that my objections just show the way I would choose to (ab)use the system. There are other things I would add as options, too. Here's a few:

• the gnome's advantage on saves vs. spells. 3 pts.
  • a glide/soft landing ability, that acts as a personal-only Feather Fall prof/long rest (or 1/long rest) 2 points. (add "not in heavy armor" perhaps)
  • if you were using this to replace all species selection, then the half-orc's relentless Endurance 3 points?
  • telepathic communication (requires line of sight, one-way, must share a language) 1 point.

Overall, I think you have a system that would be a very workable hack, as long as the negative options to buy extra points are removed (way too GURPSy).

Remove ads