Custom Race Idea.... The Living Weapon

Thomas Bowman

First Post
I would say most of them in literature are Daemons not necessarily evil like Stormbringer but still complex beings and most of them understand hierarchies and how those can be used to manipulate and gain power.

So you imagine a sword that is looking for a "haughty and snobby knight" with a lot of breeding, or shall I say inbreeding, to wield it! It is interesting how the image of nobility has evolved from the 11th century to the 18th century. In the 18th century nobles of foppish people in white powdered wigs, they have a lot more breeding than their 11th century ancestors, they look down on peasants and commoners, and tend to underestimate them quite a bit, and then comes the French Revolution.

The reality is a lot of these noble houses started out as warlords, such as William the Conqueror, the only reason William was "The Conqueror" was because he was a good organizer of men, he won battles, and thus defeated King Harold of Britain. People believed they could retain the traits that made him successful, and that devolved into those late 18th century fops that had their heads chopped off.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So you imagine a sword that is looking for a "haughty and snobby knight" with a lot of breeding, or shall I say inbreeding, to wield it!

I would say the nobles of a fantasy world are more likely to have the magic that flows in the bloodline story going on than the realistic one as in their world dragons and gods and so on really did interbreed in the not so distant past - and the rest of what you say is too realistic ;)

And you said they would want someone whose mind they could overwhelm didnt you? if they did get one of those foppish well place nobles that might be the prize -> an ego easily consumed and a kingdom to do their bidding. It might well be the most likely result.

Literarily : Stormbringer discovering that a strong mind able to resist it made it able to defeat its brother basically in act of cooperation could also be an oddity. Elric's somewhat weaker minded and more evil cousin was a less desired wielder. Elric was atypical and seen of weak blood by his peers (but realistically he was exactly not inbred - your nod to realism) but even his physical weakness was something he was able to overcome effectively with a combination of mental and physical effort ie he had to work to be as awesome as he was the second greatest swordsman of the land and the greatest ritualist and perhaps most educated individual on his world knowing many languages with many libraries of resources at his disposal, who rediscovers the secrets of fast casting magic intuitively before Stormbringer even encountered him.

In King Arthurs story we also get someone who is still raised by in part by warrior class characters just lower echelons and partly by the Bards of old ie he was raised in the classic way of heros partly by historians again an instance of unusual degree of education making a hero strong which appeals to modern sensibility. Considering Excalibur a sentient sword is definitely not a given though sometimes we do see that transformation happening in various retelling of the story.

Here are some issues with the other side : The typical peasant never traveled more than 20 miles from their home (inbreeding isnt solely the providence of nobility) and rarely has time to do or learn much beyond what is needed for survival he relies on the fighting class, doesnt have training in use of weapons to speak of especially not the sword, he might be more likeable than that foppish noble you picture but he probably doesnt have the desire or social power to even keep the weapon. Depending on where and when he lives it may be illegal for him to even have it. But even if not exactly illegal it is a tool his overlords will want and one less useful than many or the money he could sell it for. I think it is fairly certain a exceptional weapon lusually would end up in the hands of the fighting class (aka lesser nobility very fast).

The reality is a lot of these noble houses started out as warlords, such as William the Conqueror, the only reason William was "The Conqueror" was because he was a good organizer of men, he won battles, and thus defeated King Harold of Britain.

One could argue the cycle between those who earn their rulership in war and those who fall into impoverished capability, was still entirely within a group/class that was directly engaged in and trained in war up until modern times.

And very likely even the Arthur vaguely of history was just a warlord too and only made king in legend.

Yes people imagined the strong personalities would be inherited but not having to work to achieve what you gain has an impact on motivation and never being without seems to result in impoverished empathy all too often (there have even been scientific studies confirming this at least as a tendency)

Realism results in the rejection of myth, legend and literature.

Last edited:

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Okay, how about this example, a gladiator, that is a slave? gladiators aren't nobles, who do you think would do better with a sword? An experienced gladiator who has defeated many foes in the arena or a knight in shining armor? knights have their own sort of arena called the tournament. So would a magic sword rather be in the hands of a gladiator or a knight?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Okay, how about this example, a gladiator, that is a slave? gladiators aren't nobles, who do you think would do better with a sword? An experienced gladiator who has defeated many foes in the arena or a knight in shining armor? knights have their own sort of arena called the tournament. So would a magic sword rather be in the hands of a gladiator or a knight?

I think the lead character in this makes for a very heroic example

[video=youtube;KOZs2_i_cDE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOZs2_i_cDE[/video]

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That I am aware of the situation of gladiators is not super common historically it was rather unique to a certain era of Rome (and were by and large prisoners of war and criminals) but in fantasy environments seems somewhat more so I know I have had several players interested in that background.

Let's step up the story on the gladiator. It might start with the weapon was in using the gladiators owner who the sword decided was an inadequate vehicle but the weapon was impressed and his current host was getting older... we do also have aging to consider as a motivation for a weapon moving on OR another option might be the weapon showed up as one of the purchased items for the gladiators ... perhaps it was dormant when found. There might be more complex information about Intelligent weapons which step up the story it might go dormant for longer periods of time - it could be just like the classic hero reborn story.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It could be an intro story better than you met at a bar for heroic caliber weapon like originally mentioned in this thread.

Coming up with reasons to adventure together and to cooperate and have goals with synchronicity becomes integral when you are wielder and primordial artifacts it can be great story fodder.

The slave gladiator perhaps freed by the sword itself and becoming its next vehicle to change the world in some dramatic way would be a fine example.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Symbiotic Bond
Perhaps while wielded they both take damage when the wielder is targeted but area affects, are assigned independently (since generally a weapon is unlikely to be directly attacked) this could handle hit point damage (Stormbringer was often described as bleeding a black light...) similarly the weapon may suffer other effects like dazed and things some causing the weapon to be inert, instead of actively aiding and directing some of the attacks and maneuvers in the fight.... even inert the wielder would still have passive benefits (like they had a normal magic sword)

Generally healing the wielder affect the weapon and vice versi ie they share the healing. If the weapon is "Dancing" within a certain range this might work even at range.

The bleeding effect mentioned could be flavored as literal bleeding by some with a spooky flavor, light flowing out by others or even sparkling fractures their physical forms... When being directly wielded the hit points they expend could represent expending desperate energy to defend their wielder.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am thinking this sentient weapon race when its deep energies have been expended (hit points and healing surges mechanically) can be and often does splinter til then it generally speaking cannot break and never requires sharpening. It can be reforged/rebuilt but its soul must be awakened or called back it takes a level 8 ritual to restore but it can go for very long time dormant if it hasn't been reduced to molten slag.

Remove ads