Cyclone Sniper My prestige class

I'm not sure of my placement of abilities. Like if they should moved around. Any help would be welcome.

Cylcone Sniper
Good Reflex Saves.
Fighters BAB
Skills: Undecided.

Level Special

1 Negate Wind
2 Cyclone Armor 1/day
3 Force of Winds
4 Thundering Shot
5 Cyclone Armor 2/day Apprentice of Storms
6 Typhoon Armor
7 Lightning Shot
8 Cyclone Armor 3/day
9 Air Walk
10 Master of Storms

Negate Wind: Cyclone Snipers can negate all penalty associated with wind speed.

Cyclone Armor: At 2nd level, once a day, a Cyclone Sniper can create a swirling vortex of wind that encircles him. It occupies the same space as the Sniper, and moves with him. Ranged attacks in to the cyclone are impossible. Small creatures who attack the sniper must make a Fortitude save DC 10+Sniper level+ Wis mod or be knocked prone. The Armor lasts 3+Sniper level+Wis mod.

Force of Winds: The cyclone Sniper can choose to forgo his lowest base attack bonus each round. If he does so, anytime that round that he strikes an opponent, it must make a DC 10+Sniper Level+ Wis mod, or be knocked backwards 5 feet. Regardless of wether it is knocked back or not, it still takes an additional d4 damage. Large creatures get +4 to the save, and every creature smaller than Medium takes -4.

Thundering Shot: Every arrow the Sniper shoots deals an additional d6 sonic damage.

Apprentice of Storms: at 5th level, the Sniper gains restitance 5 to sonic and lightning damage.

Typhoon Armor: At 6th level the Snipers Cyclone armor gets more forceful. Any arrows, javelins, spears, or other ranged weapon that passes through the cyclone gets caught in it. Essentialy, every round these weapons swing around and attack all squares within 5 feet of the Sniper. They must make attack rolls normally, and critical normally. At the DM's option, any swords, and small rocks may get caught in the Typhoon, and deal damage equal to improvised weapons of their size.

Lightning Shot: Every arrow the Sniper shoots deals an addtional d8 lightning.

Air Walk: For a number of rounds equal to twice his class level, the Cyclone Sniper can be affected as per the spell Air Walk. In addtion, he may be under the affect of Feather Fall for a number of rounds equal to twice his class level.

Master of Storms: the Sniper gains resistance 10 for sonic and lightning. Also, each morning, the Sniper wakes up to find 3 gold arrows lying on his chest. Each of these arrows deal 3d10 damage. If anyone other than the sniper tries to fire these arrows, they arc back and hit the shooter, dealing 3d10 damage.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
What are the pre-reqs? Also, rather than having them find three golden arrows, let the sniper empower the arrows himself. I think that allowing all of their arrows to do +d6 +d8 by level 7 might be a bit much, but the balance would have to measured within your own campaign.

I might also make your cyclone armor work against creatures one size category smaller than the sniper (and use a reflex save instead of fort to keep from being knocked prone).

LordVyreth

First Post
Cyclone Armor sounds overpowered, and Typhoon Armor is logical headache waiting to happen. I would replace it with wind effects based on the weather chart in the DMG, and strengthen it every few levels. To possibly balance this further, I might reduce the power's duration based on the strength of the armor. Thus, the character can choose to make his armor tornado-strength by the end of the PrC advancement, but it would have a duration at least a few rounds less compared to a windstorm armor, for example.

I agree that thundering shot plus lightning shot sound excessive. I would make lightning shot first, since electricity is generally less useful than sonic damage, and then let the character choose between the two at 7th level. By 9th level, both powers get enhanced to be the equivalent of an elemental burst weapon, though the character still has to choose between sonic and lightning damage each round.

I'd basically remove the "lowest attack" option from the Force of Winds, and just make it a standard power that can be used once per Cyclone Sniper level per day. And base the penalty and bonus to the save on the size of the Sniper, not medium.

Finally, I'd remove the golden arrows aspect of the Master of Storms entirely. With the additional power for thundering/lightning shot and further increments to the cyclone armor, it's not really needed, and it's a fairly pointless power anyway.

Remove ads