• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2: Movie review (Minor spoilers)

beaver1024

First Post
For a brief and slightly inaccurate teaser please refer to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406728/plotsummary.

For the record, I thought the first D&D movie was an insult to D&D fans everywhere and so atrocious it is was at times hilariously funny. If my expectations of D&D2 was any lower, it would be greeting Asmodeous in the Nine Hells. I was thus pleasantly suprised by the quality of D&D 2.

The story line and the general setting is light years ahead of the first D&D movie. It basically makes sense and follows a logical and sensible progression from exposition, through to the climax and denouement. It actually creates some measure of suspense, tension and excitement in the viewer. Its quality may not approach other movies like "The Island" or "Batman Returns" but it far surpases movies like "SWAT", "Flight of the Phoenix" and "Assault on precinct 13". It does contain major plot holes, the most obvious being right at the start when Melora says "No one in Ishmir can do it [divine magic]" but she's holding a divine scroll bought from a temple of Obad Hai. However considering that the first D&D movie didn't even really have a cohesive plot I do not consider this that bad.

There is a lot of references to the game we play in the story from reference to Obad Hai to the use of magic items and spells. My favourite is their implementation of the Ring of Ram. Very nice.

The characters, although wooden at times, were still likeable and I felt they added to the story rather than detracted from it. Unlike the first D&D movie where the characters and the acting was so bad, I thought I was watching a bad sitcom. The characters blended in acceptably with the story and with each other. I felt there was some measure of pathos with the characters as you watch their hurts and pains. I actually did wince as the elf wizard had a teleport error and part of her arm got buried in a wall.

The special effects were very very good. The only complaint I had was that the special effects concentrated a lot on the arcane magic component of D&D. They had a magic sword but it didn't do much except glow a bit. Seeing the cleric of Obad Hai Flame Strike a frost dragon is very cool.

In summary, compared to the first D&D movie: wow.

Last edited:

Mystery Man

First Post
beaver1024 said:
Unlike the first D&D movie where the characters and the acting was so bad, I thought I was watching a bad sitcom.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

dontget.jpg

Hey all! :)

beaver1024 said:
Unlike the first D&D movie where the characters and the acting was so bad, I thought I was watching a bad sitcom.

I watched the D&D movie network premiere here in the UK on Monday night (It doesn't get any better second time around unfortunately), but one scene in particular I thought was superb.

After Snails is killed and his body dumped off the castle wall, the camera pans down onto his corpse and then rotates the screen 180 degrees. I could swear the position of the body is identical to that of the classic depiction of the Fool #0 card in a Tarot deck. I'm sure this must have been intentional. I haven't watched the DVD, but does the director mention anything like that in the commentary?

Very apropos. Come back Courtney - all is forgiven. :lol:

sniffles

First Post
I saw #2 last night, although the DVD encoding was messed up so I didn't get to see the end.

Overall I didn't think it was too bad, although it's not going to be high on my list of must-haves to purchase. I was suprised to find a couple of familiar faces in the cast; I had been under the impression the cast were all unknown newbies. Unfortunately one cast member was an experienced and talented performer who made his costars look bad.

The special effects were okay, the acting was okay, the fight scenes weren't bad. There were a couple of irritating aspects to the script, such as calling characters by their D&D class far too often and a couple of scenes where the characters' actions just didn't make any sense. And I don't understand why the elf had to have Spock eyebrows. But the parts of D&D that they incorporated, such as spellcasting and names of certain things, made me happy.

My fiancee and I had an amusing evening of making gaming-related comments at the movie ("Oops! Failed his Dex roll!" "They forgot to check for traps" "He has a negative Cha modifier"). :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads