• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 3.5] Paths of Legend: Paths of Madness (OOC)

Ambrus

Explorer
10 players? Holy moly! That's an awful lot. I don't know how that might work...

For the moment I'm still leaning towards the shadow. Could you post relevant details/changes to the base monster class?

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Here is the progression I use for the vampire. The Minotaur will take me a day or two (its one of the ones I haven't actually written up completely, yet).

All, here's a list of progressions I have. Anything not on this list will take a couple of extra days to get to you as I'll need to do the write-up.

New Progressions (progressions not presented in Savage Species)

Animal Class - Wolf (for use with Lycanthrope and Anthropomorphic Animal Template Classes)
Dragon, Crystal
Githzerai (Psionic Version)
Half-Celestial
Half-Giant
Half-Vampire
Inevitable, Zelekhut (modified into a humanoid configuration)
Loxo
Nimblewright
Scorpionfolk
Yuan-ti

Revisions (revised versions of progressions and templates in Savage Species)

Angel, Astral Deva
Anthropomorphic Animal (heavily revised)
Aranea
Centaur
Eladrin, Ghaele
Elemental, Earth
Genie, Janni
Golem, Flesh
Medusa
Mind Flayer
Sprite, Pixie
Troll

Other Sources

I use the Savage Progressions series of articles for the following templates and races. Note that I do not use those articles for Duergar (using the psionic version and my own progression instead) or Lycanthropes (using my own revision). Note also that I don't use the transition classes covered in the last article of that series.

Elf, Drow
Feytouched
Fiendish Creature
Ghost
Gnome, Svirfneblin
Half-Dragon
Half-Fey
Half-Fiend
Lich
Planetouched, Aasimar
Planetouched, Tiefling
Vampire

I use Dragon Magazine Issues 320 (Metallic) and 332 (Chromatic) for dragons.

Rathan

First Post
can you take templates after game start?.... I know it wouldn't really make sense taking monster levels from SS after game start if I start as a human lets say.. but what about templates that can manifest later.. like vampire, or half-dragon or the like?

GlassEye

Adventurer
GlassEye, also some nifty ideas. :D I especially like the ogre. ;) I'm not sure what a woodling is, though. What book is that in?

Woodling is a template from MM III. It gives plant traits, a pretty hefty natural armor bonus, a number of spell-like abilities, and some other stuff I don't recall without my book. The Woodling idea could easily be discarded and I could go with druid all the way. However, if you prefer the ogre idea I'll go with that one. The ogre would probably be easier to integrate into a party since he would be too stupid to worry about the dangerous characters being presented. :lol:

Last edited:

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Rathan, absolutely. Vampire and other aquired templates will require meeting up with a critter of that sort in game, however.

GlassEye, whichever one you like. :D With any critter with an ECL (HD + LA) of 6 or less, we won't have to worry about a monster progression, you can just use the race stats right out of the Monster Manual.

Rathan

First Post
Vox I had the same feeling until I realized that if I got too fancy with templates and monster race levels I'd be loosing a BOATLOAD of MUCH needed skills like lock picking and stealth with my rogue build... so I decided to stay the normal one in the party and keep my precious rogue levels heh

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Vox I had the same feeling until I realized that if I got too fancy with templates and monster race levels I'd be loosing a BOATLOAD of MUCH needed skills like lock picking and stealth with my rogue build... so I decided to stay the normal one in the party and keep my precious rogue levels heh

I'm in the same position with my psychic warrior (I PM'd monkey for psi rules; full write-up coming tonight). Even an ECL of +1 cost too much, though my decision was partly based on a starting level of 6. Lots of psionic powers get better when you can spend 7 power points on them, which I can just do with Overchannel 6th level.

Ambrus

Explorer
Yeah. Monster PCs may seem attractive at first, but many of them turn out to have some serious shortcomings; the worst of which is the piddling amount of skill points, hit points, low BAB and feats that they receive in exchange for their high ECL special abilities.

Most savage species builds turn out to be one-trick-ponies with glass jaws. Certainly not for everyone, but l naturally gravitate towards the oddball stuff anyway if given the chance. :eek:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads