• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3.x gamers who skipped 4e, why are you not "upgrading" to Pathfinder?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Why Paizo had to metagame the rogue to SA undead and constructs? Perhaps to avoid nerfing rogues in campaigns heavy with undead and constructs - there's lots out there. Since 3.5 only targetted those with knowledge of anatomical areas, the confusion arises as to how this works in Pathfinder.

Its not written anywhere, except on the Paizo boards somewhere, a quadrupel construct or an animated skeleton have hip joints, knees, actuator pivots - if you can get your dagger in there on flanking shot you could bring the sucker down. Its less about piercing a non-existent heart, than causing extra damage for targeting an identified weakness in any opponent. So for PF anyway, its no longer about anatomy, unless your target is alive.

You can always house rule it back the old way, it shouldn't hurt your Pathfinder game.

GP

Last edited:

dicechild

First Post
I started with AD&D, and then my next set of books I bought was 3.5. I didn't switch because it was new, I switched because 3.5 honestly made so much more sense to me, and seemed very clear and concise.
I am a tinkerer and creator as well as some of the other posters who have said the same, and I feel like with a 3.5 base, making changes and additions takes time, but the bases are all easy to accommodate in said changes.
I have a player that uses Pathfinder books because he couldn't afford his own until recently and he couldn't get a set of the 3.5E. Whenever new stuff comes along, I like to boil it down to the basics and then let it simmer in my subconscious where I discover ways to make it work with whatever campaign I am a part of or working on.
Finally I really enjoy the aspect of 3.5 that lets DMs and players alike customize everything. You could be a crossbow toting blacksmith with a penchant for Radioactive gems.... and your character could be a wildly unusual genius who beguiles everyone into giving him exactly what he wants. I just really enjoy the wordplay and subtle craft and technique that is allowed in 3.5 that I haven't felt exists in most other versions.

Noumenon

First Post
Voadam's list of Pathfinder changes was really amazing, somehow does the job of that Trailblazer list of changes plus its design document (ie, the changes and the intent both) in a much more concise form.

Remove ads