D&D 30th Anniversary

Golem2176

Banned
Banned
I loved the 25th Anniversary Silver boxed set. I hope they do something similar for the 30th Anniversary. GOD, imagine what it'll be like 20 years from now, when their 50th Anniversary rolls around! DnD might well be in its 5th or 6th incarnation by then. DAMN!

Last edited:

SSquirrel

Explorer
Morrus said:
“The 30th anniversary campaign is our way of thanking the players for everything they’ve done to enrich Dungeons & Dragons and also to introduce one of the most creative, imaginative games ever made to a whole new generation of players.”[/font]

*megasnippage*

Am I the only one who saw that line, looked for a mega-adventure campaign and was sad when they didn't see one? Seriously, a MASSIVE world-spanning (planes as well) campaign that takes characters from 1st to 20th+ levels would be great. Boxed Sets like Dragon Mountain, Ruins of Undermountain, Myth Drannor etc have always been popular so I would really hope we could see something cool like this. Hell, a new Time of Troubles for the Realms could be amusing...altho I'm sure my wife would think it was crap writing just like with the originals heh.

Hagen

SSquirrel

Explorer
Golem2176 said:
I loved the 25th Anniversary Silver boxed set. I hope they do something similar for the 30th Anniversary. GOD, imagine what it'll be like 20 years from now, when their 50th Anniversary rolls around! DnD might well be in its 5th or 6th incarnation by then. DAMN!

No way man these are the guys who do Magic...if WOTC keeps ahold of D&D for the next 20 years, I envision D&D 9th Ed easy. You know, coupla years from now they do 4th Ed, then make a slightly under 4 year cycle and release another 5 editions....well the 9th Ed would be released at Gen Con to commemorate the 50th anniversary. All of the changes that would have people saying it's more like say Rolemaster at that point would then b in shock as we were returned to the roots of the 1970's Basic boxed set. heh

Hagen

Ottergame

First Post
SSquirrel said:
No way man these are the guys who do Magic...if WOTC keeps ahold of D&D for the next 20 years, I envision D&D 9th Ed easy. You know, coupla years from now they do 4th Ed, then make a slightly under 4 year cycle and release another 5 editions....well the 9th Ed would be released at Gen Con to commemorate the 50th anniversary. All of the changes that would have people saying it's more like say Rolemaster at that point would then b in shock as we were returned to the roots of the 1970's Basic boxed set. heh

Hagen

They wouldn't dare, WOTC learned that even minor revisied books released every few years isn't going to fly. There was to much backlash against the revised books, a whole new edition in 2 years would be assinine.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I feel that the 10 year gap between previous editions of D&D was far too long, and we are misled by it.

Magic relies on a different paradigm than D&D, and you should not assume that D&D will follow the same release cycle.

Cheers!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Ottergame said:
They wouldn't dare, WOTC learned that even minor revisied books released every few years isn't going to fly. There was to much backlash against the revised books, a whole new edition in 2 years would be assinine.

I couldn't agree with this more. WotC is, like any other corporation, about making money (which does not make them evil or heartless, just realistic), and the way they make money is by getting people to purchase their products.

Given that they aren't stupid (and they aren't) they're going to realize that, while it may seem like making new editions of the game may get people to buy what is essentially the same material over and over, the consumers will also realize that, and will quickly come to resent buying the same material multiple times, and just stop buying altogether.

In short, WotC is smart enough to realize that this tactic will quickly allienate the very people they want to attract.

Blastin

First Post
Alzrius said:
Given that they aren't stupid (and they aren't) they're going to realize that, while it may seem like making new editions of the game may get people to buy what is essentially the same material over and over, the consumers will also realize that, and will quickly come to resent buying the same material multiple times, and just stop buying altogether.

Heh...I guess you don't know anyone who plays any GW/Warhammer game if you believe that :lol:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Blastin said:
Heh...I guess you don't know anyone who plays any GW/Warhammer game if you believe that :lol:

I'll admit, I don't. Didn't that game, or some portion of it, recently fold though?

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Alzrius said:
I'll admit, I don't. Didn't that game, or some portion of it, recently fold though?

The roleplaying game goes through intermittent periods of publication, from memory, but Hogshead recently shut down its publishing arm devoted to the RPG.

From what I've been told, the minitatures rules tend to come out with a new edition every couple of years, but that just could be the bitterness of burnt out warhammer players :)

Alzrius said:
Warhammer is on an interesting cycle, where new main rules seem to come out ever 2 to 3 years, and they rotate their sideline games through new editions in between.
Ken
Been playing warhammer since 85 and I believe we are up to edition 6 with 7 soon to be coming our way . :)

Remove ads