D&D 4e game?

Graf

Explorer
post edited a bit to match the gender
Thanks! I'd tried to read through but it looks like I'd missed that.
I'd very much like to play a dwarven fighter.

Would it be good to try to weave backstories into each other or keep them separate? If weaving is good is there anyone who'd be keen to weave?
[sblock=Possible Backstory]
Skarra Ironshield is a dwarf, a mighty protector of one of the many egresses to the Ironhome Mountains. She was, basically, a door guard.

She'd guarded this entryway to a mountain for 80 years, just as her father, her father's mother and her father's mother's father had.
They had been great warriors in the old days. Valiant vanguards against forces of darkness. Each child was trained in those traditions.
But the Ironhome Mountains were depleted of Iron in her grandmother's day and the dwarves moved deeper into the mountains. Their entry fell into disuse.
There were other, better entryways.

With the cessation of trade other raiders and other threats dried up.And the Ironshield family dwindled down to a couple.
Her parents were old when she was born.
They died one fall, her father one day after his mother.
She lived alone for many years.
A few times a season a trader (usually a trapper) or a traveler would pass through the door.
She'd remember their faces at night. Imagine conversations they could have had, things they might have told her of places she would never see.

One day, saw the first white hair in her head.
It had been six months since anyone had used the door. It had been fifty years since she'd lifted her waraxe to do more than salute a passing trader. Humans trappers she had know as pups tagging along behind their parents had grown old; last year the grandson of the first woman she'd ever let through the door had come to tell her that the old woman had passed on a cold winters night.

In centuries past the Ironshield name, its proud history, the prestige of being a protector of the kingdom (however small) would have attracted suitors. But Skarra had had none.

She looked at the hair on her head and realized she was going to stop.

She methodically carved runes (in dwarven) on both sides of the entryway, carefully explaining that the door was now closed and suggesting alternate routes. When a trapper finally came by she explained that she was leaving, that the door would be closed and asked the trader to tell others so no one would be inconvenienced.

The trader, another dwarf, was so surprised, so amazed that he simply nodded and went through. And so this dwarf dropped the stones on both sides to seal it. And went <wherever is good for the story>.[/sblock]

Acceptable? Weird? Let me know!

[sblock=Personality]Skarra comes off as "typically dwarven". Reserved and quite she prefers to let others speak first and tends to limit her speach and interactions to gruff practicalities around people she's not comfortable with.
She tends to approach interactions with people with a methodical, almost simplistic, mindset. What do I want? What do they want? Can we come to an agreement?

While hardly naive she's never seen or experienced anything wild or adventurous, never dealt with non-dwarves for any length of time and she will respond with undwarf-like glee to new experiences and interactions.

She has embraced, with finality, a difficult decision, giving up her old role and social status to try to "be herself". This gives her a sort of reserve, a patience and energy that keeps her going. Years of sitting in one spot have given her a fine eye for detail, she tends to find joy or interest in even the smallest of things.

She can be almost unbeleivably patient when waiting is called for.[/sblock]

[sblock=Appearance/Bearing]Skarra still comes off as the job she performed for so long. Her expression is naturally neutral, grim. People who know her well may catch the sparkle of laughter in her eye when she hears a joke, but she has little practice with or affinity for showing her true feelings to the outside world.

She's squat and powerfuly built, blessed with the frame that allowed her great great grandmother to be one of the "five of five hundred" who stood fire against the dragon Pyrax when the dwarves first came to the Ironhome.

Her armor and equipment are ornate, but not gaudy, functional heirlooms forged of true Ironhome Steel and handed down through the generations.

Skarra values them immensely and always keeps them polished and in excellent condition.[/sblock]

[sblock=How other Dwarves see her]She's not an "outcast" or "hunted" per se. But other dwarves, no matter how polite they may be to her face, find it scandalous that she would leave her post.
Like leaving a marriage a hundred years ago it simply isn't done. No matter what the circumstances.

This, naturally is something the DM has the final word on. Just how I see it knowing nothing about the world.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

nick012000

First Post
That's almost acceptable; just swap out "my mental image is a dwarf, who was" with "<character name> was", and, similarly, figuring out what, exactly, it was that triggered her to leave. Additionally, you'd need to write a description of your personality and appearance.

nick012000

First Post
That's fine. You're approved.

Okay. Rogue's Gallery thread is here. Post your character information over there, please.

IC thread is here.

Please use Invisible Castle to do your dice rolls; me doing it all won't really speed things up that much, and that way you folks will be able to react to each other's powers and whatnot more fluidly. It's not like the monster's stats aren't publically available, anyway.

Last edited:

Pinotage

Explorer
Dire Lemming said:
Lol, it's just just funny is all. :p

Well, at least until someone gets hurt.

Heh! To be fair, Armarantan's so far behind in the initiative order, that it'll not be him starting the fight in the old end. Whoever beats his miserable 3 will get to take the first shot. We can blame him, then, for getting the rest of us hurt! :)

Pinotage

Remove ads