D&D 5E D&D 5e Indiana Jones

Don't forget he also rides a horse pretty well, and can fire his gun from the back of a horse with reasonable accuracy.

He can also fly a plane... just not land it. ;)

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Indiana Jones: Rogue

“Professor of Archaeology, expert on the occult, and how does one say it… obtainer of rare antiquities.”

His dad: Commoner with high Int and the History skill

hejtmane

Explorer
So you got me thinking; I think I may add one myself as an NPC.

I'm going to start with a human with the Archaeologist background from TOA, NG.
I don't want him to have magic, and he doesn't need to be a frontline battler so I think I'll go with Rogue.
For weapons a whip and a revolver (or pistol p. 268 DMG; or just hand crossbow if your DM won't allow it).
Skills would be: insight, investigation, perception, persuasion.
For Expertise, he'll have Wisdom (perception to check for traps) and thieves' tools.
For archetype, probably just thief.

Issue is for whip he needs a feat or a class with martial weapons to use one so he would have to add some fighter be the easiest and Human variant and take tavern Brawler because Indy got into a lot of fist fights

Elon Tusk

Explorer
From a purely narrative and character perspective - Indiana Jones probably is a Ranger. Why? A Ranger is the expert in surviving a certain environment or location - he's the guy who, when you ask who you need to bring along with you who knows what's going on, you call first. .

Except Indy often hires a local guide to get him to the location he knows about.
Indy's the one that knows the temple or ruins and how to get past traps.
At least that's how I see him - the guy in the field that knows about the ancient architecture and artifacts, not necessarily the wilderness trekker with knowledge of its fauna and flora.

Issue is for whip he needs a feat or a class with martial weapons to use one so he would have to add some fighter be the easiest and Human variant and take tavern Brawler because Indy got into a lot of fist fights

I thought their was a Whip UA feat like the other weapon feats, but I cannot find it (I'd probably allow one and give it to him at 4th level).
I've never taken or recommended it before, but Weapon Master feat probably works here; it can give Indy proficiencies in: whip (forgot it was martial), revolver, machete (if different than a short sword), and one other.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
OMFG Henry Jones Sr is a deeply religious person on a holy quest. Cleric w/sage background seems fitting.

Cleric (Knowledge) to round it out. Expertise on certain appropriate skills, identify spell, Channel Divinity: Knowledge of the Ages.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm the guy who thinks Indy could use a few levels of Monk for his fisticuffs and unarmored AC. Basic ki usage like disengage or dash and dodge as well as increased movement (he books from people chasing him all the time).

If you REALLY want to, I guess you could take Sun Soul monk from SCAG and just reskin the radiant sun bolts as pistol shots. But rogue seems better than more monk levels.

There's been talk about variant human, if not needed for Tavern Brawler due to monk I think the Dungeon Delver feat is a great fit for Indy.

Bawylie

A very OK person
I'm the guy who thinks Indy could use a few levels of Monk for his fisticuffs and unarmored AC. Basic ki usage like disengage or dash and dodge as well as increased movement (he books from people chasing him all the time).

If you REALLY want to, I guess you could take Sun Soul monk from SCAG and just reskin the radiant sun bolts as pistol shots. But rogue seems better than more monk levels.

There's been talk about variant human, if not needed for Tavern Brawler due to monk I think the Dungeon Delver feat is a great fit for Indy.

Not sure why with the monk. Indy is often getting the snot kicked out of him. Better adventurer than fighter. Sure he CAN fight, but not any better than most of his opponents.

-Brad

The only hindrance to the knowledge cleric bit is that if he could read minds, he wouldn't have been honey trapped.....of course, he is a good person (and a noncombatant), so he probably doesn't read minds as a matter of course. Given the divination spells available to the knowledge cleric, any item he is searching for must have been subject to nystul's magic aura (or something similar).

Remove ads