D&D 5E [D&D 5e] It's a Brand New World [FULL]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
- Kobold Stew: You mentioned a couple of places in your write-up that weren't on any maps. Did you have a particular location in mind where you wanted these areas? Let me know, and I'll be happy to put them on the map for everyone's reference. It is also okay to rename places that are already there, unless they were specifically mentioned in the opening post.
Thanks again, everyone. I know we've got a tremendous group here, and I certainly hope I can live up to the standards I know you will set. I must admit, I'm a little nervous! :)

-IG

I saw the Free Town of Conybere as an independent town controlling access to the inland sea (and so down the coast from Port Angeline, where the bay meets the river. My (tentative) suggestion would be that citizenship of the Free Town is in fact tightly controlled by a landed parliament, and that any with it was, in comparison with the citizens of the rest of the world, a noble. Even if it's only a 1% levy on all traffic heading from the ocean to the inland sea (and up the river to the Central Marches), I expect that would be enough to keep the citizens rich, and reason enough for all interested parties to want to keep the choke-hold neutral and independent (since if any larger nation were to claim it, it would require considerable military expenditures on every side to allow any trade to continue. (So I'm imagining that location something like the Hellespont; an alternative would be to have it at the mouth of the big river on which Kingsport sits, as a kind of Alexandria).

I was not specific about where Caerella lost him, since I didn't know where the campaign will begin, but it could certainly be at Kingsport.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Correction. My character would be a Paladin, not a Cleric. Also, someone else mentioned if we would be starting at 1st level or if there is any possibility of starting a a higher level than that? I was wondering that as well.

Axel

First Post
I know I'm late to the party, but world busing is awesome. If you get a dropout, give me a buzz. I have so so many 5e ideas rattling around my skull, and not enough games to try them out in! Top of the list right now is a bastard mountain dwarf rogue, who finally realises he isn't wanted at home.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Garrison (still in progress)
N Halforc Rogue
Level 1

Abilities (point buy):
STR 16 (+3)
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 10 (+0)
WIS 10 (+0)
CHA 12 (+1)

Size M
Speed 30
AC 13
Init +2
Hit Points 10

Proficiency bonus: +2
Proficiencies: Light Armor, rogue weapons, thieves' tools, navigator's tools, water vehicles
Saves: DEX, INT
Skills: Stealth, Deception, Insight, Perception, Athletics, Intimidation, Investigation
Languages: Common, Orc, Thieves' Cant

Background (trait): sailor (ship's passage)

Race abilities:
* Darkvision 60'
* Relentless Endurance (when dropped to 0 hp but not killed, go to 1hp instead; 1/long rest)
* Savage attacks (add an extra weapon damage die to critical hits)

Class abilities:
* Expertise: double proficiency for Thieves' tools and Athletics
* Sneak Attack: 1d6

Skills
+2 (dex) Acrobatics
+0 (wis) Animal Handling
+0 (int) Arcana
+7 (str) Athletics (expertise)
+3 (cha) Deception
+0 (int) History
+2 (wis) Insight
+3 (cha) Intimidation
+2 (int) Investigation
+0 (wis) Medicine
+0 (int) Nature
+2 (wis) Perception
+1 (cha) Performance
+1 (cha) Persuasion
+0 (int) Religion
+2 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+4 (dex) Stealth
+0 (wis) Survival

+6 (dex) Thieves' Tools (expertise)

Equipment: Shortsword, Shortbow with a quiver of 20 arrows, Burglar's pack, Leather armour, two daggers, thieves' tools, belaying pin (club), 50 ft silk rope, lucky charm, common clothes, belt pouch with 10gp

Weight: ***

[sblock="backstory"](from post 35)

Garrison was born on the edge of the Tragic Jungle, and was quickly adopted into a home in Largo by a well-meaning family unable to have children of their own. He was three when the Buonnuevos themselves conceived a child, and six when their twins were born. Their progeny assured by natural means, Garrison had now become an embarrassment, a halfbreed who already looked like a teenager and who was considerably greener than the others.

The Buonnuevos were good people, though, and wouldn't cast Garrison out on their own. They were however willing to listen to a merchant who was looking for a cabin boy, and felt that sending Garrison to sea would show him the world and perhaps offer him a promising future far from Largo and their family. They did not know that the merchant was a slaver, and to this day Garrison believes that his family wanted the best for him, despite all that followed.

Slavery is regulated and in a few places outlawed, of course, but its persistence comes from the comparative inaccessibility of one continent from the other. Even the Tragic Jungle occupies a neck that separates one half of the Western Continent from the other, virtually requiring maritime communication to maintain effective trade. When Garrison was first brought to the larger Eastern Continent, it was easy to sell him in the port of Conybere to a local as a rower with a strong back. Since Garrison was not a citizen of the Free Town of Conybere, he lacked any legal recourse, and a few whippings were enough to convince him that continued service was the preferred course. He lacked resources to return home, and he was kept (with dozens of older men and women) in a barracks on a coastal homestead that would put the residents to employment as the master saw fit.

This was the beginning of Garrison's education. He learned what he could from the others where he lived, picking up tricks that would help him survive. Garrison was for the most part well-liked, and willing to help, but he did not attract attention to himself when he had the opportunity. He learned how to fight, and how to steal, and how to be wary. Sometimes he was employed on house business as an enforcer, and sometimes as little more than a beast of burden, carrying the possessions of Caerella, the mistress of the house, when she would travel. It was on one of those trips when her eye was caught by a dwarf owned by another travelling noble, whose contract she purchased in exchange for Garrison, leaving him in an unknown city, far from home, technically a slave but with no owner to claim him, ready to meet the world on his own terms.[/sblock]

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
Okay, so this is a hefty chunk of world-building, expanding on my earlier blurb. I have kind of taken over island #2 and run with it- let me know if I have overstepped or overdone things here. Some minor edits to geography may be needed...

Design capsule: Atlantis, elves, and a decadent Middle-Eastern/1001 Nights/Silk Road society, all rolled into one.

So: Once upon a time, back in the mists of history, Kishalunarial (Elven for "the shining island") was home to a vibrant high elven civilization. From the beautiful cities arrayed on the slopes of the central mountains to the thriving ports on the outer shores, the island was home to many high elves as well as humans, halflings, and even a few orcs (mostly used as brute labor.). And in an instant, all of that was changed, wiped away forever as a massive volcanic eruption tore the island apart...

The shining cities were gone, and even most of the outer ports were obliterated as the island's geography was catastrophically changed. Around the blasted mountains at the island's center was a ring of dry, rocky badlands- and around that, spreading out to the shore, the beautiful forests were wiped out; in time fertile grasslands would take the place of trees. One lonely town, barely a minor port of call before, survived- over the course of years the surviving elves would settle there and it would grow to a great city, the center of the risen elven civilization (tough certainly the elves of other lands might debate the matter- debate it without end, in the elven fashion). Whatever name the minor port might have had is lost to history, and the elven name is nigh-unpronouncably long- most of the folk simply call it "Silverport".

The city of Silverport is host to the a large and decadent court- most of the nobility and upper classes are elves and half-elves, though some other races are represented to one degree or another. Most of the island's working economy is based upon agriculture- the fertile lands support many fields, vineyards, and herd-beasts. There are even small gardens and slivers of forest where truly rare and exotic (and appallingly expensive) plants and herbs are cultivated. The climate is ideal for farming, the volcanic soil is fertile, and the growing season is long. Most of the nobility have large farming estates which form the basis of their families' resources- even if they never see those estates, and rarely leave the court and comforts of Silverport. The crops and herds are tended by tenant farmers, mostly humans and halflings. A few wood elves and forest gnomes cling to the remaining scraps of forest. In addition, the dry and rocky badlands and blasted central mountains are rich in mineral wealth and support nomadic herders of hearty goats and lizards- due to ancient enmity, most of the inhabitants of this central wasteland are orcs and half-orcs; few dwarves are allowed to settle there (and even fewer would want to settle so far from their ancestral homelands). In addition to agriculture, the island earns a great deal of wealth from trading- merchants come from all over the world to deal their goods in the bazaars of Silverport, and they pay richly for the privilege...

In the last few years, though, things have begun to decline. The blasted core of the island has become even more toxic, the few water sources poisonous (or worse), and the local flora and fauna growing more twisted and terrible. The dusty dry badlands have begun to creep slowly outwards, poisoning what was once fertile cropland. The process is slow, for now, but perceptible, and those who have the long-term outlook of elves have begun to worry...

Design notes: The timeframe for the original disaster is roughly 2500 years ago- a distant memory for the elves, and long enough to have faded into mythology for most other races. Perhaps Kingsport's library has some records of the original island nation, or perhaps the Blackthorn Academy was founded with texts and arcane secrets brought over by those fleeing the disaster? Also, the cause (or causes) of the current troubles are left unspecified- perhaps an underground gate to the Underdark or some far realm is spreading toxic energies, or maybe something as simple as toxins leeching into the soil from underground volcanic activity (or necromantic energy from cities of long dead elves, as ancient magical seals begin to break down)?

While the city of Silverport is a massive and decadent metropolis, there may be small settlements (Secret pirate havens, perhaps) along the jagged and (nearly) impassable southern shoreline...

Phoenix8008

First Post
Is there a place we should end up at in our stories so that we're together in one place at one time to start the campaign? I'm rereading through the thread to nail down what is 'known' of the world and working to tie my story into it from there. I can't wait to read the post before this one from pathfinderq1. Looks interesting, but I'll get to it soon.

Also, here's a starting kernel of the story of 'Justice':
[sblock=Justice - Part I]What his name used to be isn't important. He was a man of unusual size & strength. He had a quiet way about him and a hearty spirit that make him likeable and trustworthy to all who knew him. His fellow crew members on the merchant vessel 'The Golden Promise' trusted him to see to their wounds when they were injured or to plot their course with the lead navigator.

His wife, Nira, trusted him to keep coming home from each voyage and provide for her and their young son and daughter. Jolan and Jenelle trusted their father to protect them from harm. But one act of kindness betrayed their trust and destroyed them all.[/sblock]

Remove ads