[D&D 5E] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr (IC)

Gnorth throws up his hands and laughs uproariously.

"Spirited woman, like Queenie and mum! But perhaps not understanding, yes? Drink this," Gnorth holds his flask towards Brue "and let goodbye gones be goodbye gones for now." Gnorth winks at Corilo, who looks in need of a sip as well.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Rowena groaned and squeezed the middle of her forehead, possibly fighting a sudden headache. "Loviatar's embrace, would you all please sit the Hells down and put your weapons away? Surprise, we're all Shadow Stars at the table." Looking specifically at Brue, she continued, "It shouldn't be a surprise that not every gnome in the world is evil. In fact, most of them aren't..." Under her breath, she said, "I've got to review my diplomatic appointments..."

Forged Fury

First Post
As thing settled down, the halfling nodded around the table. "Glad to hear that the accommodations seem acceptable. You won't be staying here long. So what brings you all here? As Gnorth was so astute to learn... solutions to you too by the way, my friend... the garrison here was called up north to the town of Mosstone to enforce a quarantine due to a plague breaking out there. I had thought to bring the four of you there to try to figure out what was going on, but it appears that Brue here had it handled. The guilt fell at the feet of a gnome apothecary," Rowena paused to look at the sorcerer, "with the unfortunate name of Philbert 'Vials' Boddynock. Thus, some explanation for the overreactions."

"Oh, names!" Frowning at her forgetfulness, she said, "I'll handle introductions." Pointing around the table, she said, "This is Brue, devotee of Ilmater and very capable fighter. Next up is Lorenzo, a priest of Tymora and the luckiest devil I've ever met. That's Gnorth, teller of tales and jack of all trades, but his Common isn't the best. The one checking his crossbow is Corlio, you'd be hard pressed to find a better shot. Finally, the only other person of appropriate size at the table is Boddynock Scheppen. New to the team, he's a craftsman and capable sorcerer."

"On to the matter at hand... I know most of you have been active in the recent months as Shadow Stars, so you know there has been a lot of activity. The Queen-Monarch is worried about someone or someones trying to usurp her position, so she's forging alliances to try to avoid another Reclamation War. Several of you are veterans, so I imagine you can see why that would be a problem. A deal with the elves was forged, but the diplomat was attacked during their return trip. The signed treaty and an elven relic went missing."

Rowena pulled out a scroll and passed it around the table. "Brue discovered this in the apothecary's personal effects, so it seems he was affiliated with the diplomat's assailants. As you'll note, there's also a large clue in this missive." Rowena waited until everyone had a chance to read the message and waited for any questions.

Recovered Scroll said:
Agent V,

While conducting your research, be on the lookout for an agent of the Queen traveling between the Wealdath and Zazesspur. It is our understanding this agent has made contact with the Suldusk and Elmanesse elf tribes in an attempt to ally with them for the safety of the realm. The agreement hinged on the safe delivery of both the signed treaty and an ancient staff to the Queen-Monarch in Darromar.

If you identify the agent, only act if you can do so without revealing your work. We have additional assets in place along the Trade Way to neutralize this threat, so do not take any unnecessary risks. If you do happen to claim the treaty and staff, bring them to the Triton’s Tankard in Port Kir. Ask for the Harbor Room and leave a purple sash hanging outside the window. Someone will meet you.

-Q

Olrox17

Hero
Not the best at reading and writing, Corilo squeezed his eyes to make sense of the letters. "Port...Kir? And the name of a tavern." Corilo smiled "Well, with all these informations this should be easy, right?"

Brue glowered at the gnome but sat down, her back stiffly upright. She glanced at the half-orc's offered flask and shook her head minutely no. Choosing to ignore the gnome for now, Brue considered Lorenzo. She tried to place him, tuning out Rowena. When recognition came, her frown eased. Lorenzo. She remembered now, though couldn't recall his surname. Frustrated with her inability to recall detail, Brue shook her head back and forth, trying to shake loose memory.

When Rowena pulled out the scroll and passed it around, Brue declined to read it, passing it instead to Corilo next to her. She'd seen it enough already. And the missive brought only ill thoughts of Vials and the trouble he'd caused for Mosstone. She shot another baleful glare at Boddynock.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Lorenzo sits down, glad that everything has calmed down for now. His mind races at Brue's introduction, finally connecting her to that girl from two years ago. Something about her seemed off, though. He catches himself up just in time to smile and nod at his own introduction.

He smiles again, a little more ruefully and shakes his shaggy head a little at Rowena's typically tight-lipped summary. Always leaving important details out in the name of secrecy. He glances down at the missive as it is passed to him.

"I notice you left out the fate of the diplomat. Did he survive? Is he in any condition to identify his attackers? It might help a little to know who we're looking for." His smile broadens as he considers the little big boss to defray any implied criticism. "Also, when did this all happen? How long have the items been missing?"

Egon

First Post
Boddynock regained his chair, paying very little attention to much else until he heard his name. He looked up at Rowena, then realized she was explaining about Vials, whose surname happened to be his given. It was an odd coincidence, especially when it was stated Vials was also a Gnome.

Ah, it makes sense now, her lack of a calm demeanor...

When he was formally introduced, he stood upon the chair - so as to be seen as the same height as everyone else - and bowed low, his bulbous nose resting upon the top of the table as he did so momentarily before he rose back up to his full height. He then sat down, listening intently to what was being said, even though his thoughts kept racing to other subjects. Things like the number of teeth on a certain gear, or what weight hammer he'd need to pound out a pewter figurine, or even if he'd left a fire burning at his last camp before he made it here. He was very scatter-brained, but he knew how to deal with multi-tasking.

When it was his turn, he accepted the scroll and read it, his stubby fingers caressing the parchment as if it were a newborn baby. His mouth moved with every word - which he read at least twice to make sure he got full retention - and his voice actually carried several key phrases out to the ears of everyone else. Triton's Tankard and Port Kir and Harbor Room. He only mouthed the words for "purple sash", but it was very obvious to all that he did indeed mouth them.

After finishing his reading, he passed the parchment to the next person before drumming his fingers on the table, his eyes moving to the ceiling as if he were lost in thought. He kept mouthing those same 4 phrases over and over, as if committing them to his permanent memory.

"I do say that we have our missive," he put out thoughtfully, his eyes coming back down to the others at the table. "We obviously must go to Port Kir and follow the instructions for this V person, yes? Draw out whomever will be waiting for this signal?"

"I'm thinking the same thought, Bod-dy-nock" Gnorth reads through the letter as well, though he reads letter twice amazed at why certain letters are added in, yet expected to be silent Have you thought the thought of being Bod-dy-nock-Bad as a trapping for the V?"

Remove ads