[D&D 5E] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr (IC)

Forged Fury

First Post
Rowena looked shrewdly in Lorenzo's direction. "Yes, the diplomat survived. But I have already debriefed them and they unfortunately have no recollection of the assailants. Given the uncovered letter and the timing of the attack, we figure the V referred to in the letter, as Gnorth seems to have guessed, was likely Vials, making this the best lead we have. The attack happened a week ago, on the evening of the 1st of Marpenoth. My concern is that whatever was going to happen at the Triton's Tankard has already happened."

Moving along, the halfling continued, "Before our representative left the Wealdath, the elves sent a message by spell explaining the conditions of the alliance. The elves were sending the signed treaty as well as an elven relic, an oaken staff known as the Heartwood of the Wealdath. It's probably magical in some form, but it's the symbolism that matters the most." Glancing around the table to make sure she hadn't missed that there were any elves or half-elves present, she continued, "It's honestly mostly just a lot of grandstanding. The elves have always enjoyed the shorter-lived races jumping through hoops for their entertainment, but what can you do?" Shrugging, she finished, "Your mission is to track down and recover both the signed treaty and the Heartwood of the Wealdath."

Reaching into a small bag at her side, she pushed a small clockwork crow across the table to Boddynock. "Once you've done that, send a note using the crow indicating you've retrieved it. Include the closest town and we'll send a platoon to accompany you back to Darromar. Time is of the essence, the elven delegation is planning on visiting Darromar at the end of Marpenoth. That gives you about a tenday to recover the items and still have time to get back to the capital." Glancing at Boddynock, she continued, "The crow is set to return to Darromar. Don't tinker with it."

Olrox17

Hero
Corilo listened carefully to what everyone had to say. Everyone was already coming up with good plans and valuable insights. Rowena's mention that the inn meeting described in the letter could have already happened worried him.

"Cold trails are hard to follow" Corilo said, shaking his head. "We must get to Port Kir fast."

He turned his head to Gnorth "Your idea, friend, might help us out once we're there. A disguise, that's what you're talking about, right?"

"Uh...yeah. Dis guy" Gnorth pointa to Boddynock, and us guys help once trap is sprung. But me getting ahead of myself!" Gnorth smiles and points to his drum "Rhythm is a bit off, eh?"

hafrogman

Adventurer
Lorenzo shrugs and rises to his feet, stretching broadly.

"I guess vacation time is over. We've lost enough time already it seems. Cold trail or not, Port Kir is our only real lead. I'll go get Joté hitched up and ready to go." He looks at Rowena and smiles teasingly. "Anything else we need to know before we get going?"

Forged Fury

First Post
"That you need to know?" Rowena asked, winking. "Not at all," she replied deadpan.

"Does anyone else have any questions?" The halfling looked around the table wanting to make sure the group had a chance to ask anything they needed. "It's about a day's journey from here to Port Kir if you're taking a cart. I've got to head back to Mosstone and oversee the examination of Vials' basement. The plague was one thing, but he apparently had a concoction mixed in that caused divination magic to fail. I've heard of something similar before, but it was out of Westgate over on the Sea of Fallen Stars. Learning more about that is high on my priority list..." she seemed to finish. "To protect the Queen-Monarch, of course," she hastily added.

Brue looked down and made a study of the wood grain of the table, listening to Rowena. She quirked an eyebrow here and there at the bits the Halfling chose to leave out, wondering why Rowena felt the need to obfuscate. She was seated right here, for Ilmater's sake. Did Rowena expect her not to reveal her role in full to the others? The politicking within the Shadow Stars often gave her a headache, and this was one such time.

The genasi looked up and let her eyes take careful stock of each individual seated at the table, noting who was paying attention and who appeared not to be. Brue grit her teeth when Rowena explained her expectation that the five of them journey together to Port Kir. She could feel the gnome's presence across the table, and it grated. She fell to staring at Boddynock, noting the similarities between him and Vials, feeling her ire increase with each passing tick of the waterclock in the corner of the room.

When Rowena stopped talking, Brue ripped her eyes from the gnome. As the others' questions dwindled, Brue remained silent. She stood when the others stood, signifying the end of the tete-a-tete. As everyone filed out of the room, Brue lingered, wanting to put distance between herself and the gnome. When most of the others had exited, Brue moved toward the door, looking over at the cleric. "Lorenzo." Brue softly spoke the one-word greeting, inclining her head in recognition. She'd embarrassed herself, and she knew it.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Lorenzo smiles at the warrior woman and returns her nod.

"Brunhilde. I wasn't sure you recognized me. Truth be told, I barely recognized you myself. It's been what? Two years? Funny how you always seem to crop up where there's trouble. Here you are again, in the thick of it. Getting mixed up the plague." He lowers his voice to a conspiratorial whisper, "and gnasty business with gnomes." and then gives a broad wink lest she or anyone else take him too seriously.

He lends actions to purpose, taking the first few steps into the hallway, drawing her out of the room with conversation, making sure she didn't linger behind any more. He keeps up a flow of words as he continues down the corridor.

"Either way, all behind us now, yes? We've got to get a move on before everything goes to pot. Gotta find out what happened to this diplomat without getting to know who it was. That Rowena." He rolls his eyes and grins widely. "Still, gotta assume that they sent someone strong, if they were entrusting the mission to just one person, they'd want that one person to be one of the best. But then again, they didn't ask me. So it can't have been TOO important." He slaps at his armor in pantomime, wincing slightly at the sting and chuckling. "C'mon Joté's just out here, you'll want to say 'hi' to him. He always did like you more than me. Stubborn ass." He laughs just a little too loud at his own joke as he stands in the keep's courtyard having drawn Brue out into the daylight and open, away from her brooding and worries, if only for a moment.

Brue cringed at the use of her full name. "I don't like gnomes," she replied in a tone devoid of savoir faire. Dark eyebrows knitted together in a frown at Lorenzo's continued flow of words. When he slapped at his armor, however, Brue finally cued in to his levity. She permitted herself a grin. "Maybe that's an understatement." The pair reached the courtyard--the others having gone ahead--and Brue caught sight of the donkey. "Joté!" she exclaimed in a voice full of joy. Surging forward, Brue fished in her pocket and produced a half-eaten apple. She offered the prize to the beast of burden, stroking his muzzle and whispering softly to him. The donkey appeared to give no notice to her entreaty; he accepted the gift of the apple, chewing solemnly.

Olrox17

Hero
Corilo quickly reached the stables, were he left Andal, his trusty steed. He double checked the horse condition, the saddle, and his gear. After making sure everything was in order, he took a deep breath and led the horse outside, to his new comrades. He smiled when he saw Brue's reaction to Lorenzo's donkey, Joté.

"This here is Andal" He said "He's a little nervous around strangers, so just give him a little time to get used to you. Cmon Andal, say hi to our new friends"

Andal stared vacantly for a few seconds, and then slammed the ground in front of it with its right hoof.

"Good, good!" Corilo caressed Andal's neck to show his approval "Hey Gnorth, is that drink still available? I feel like I could use a little sip before we go".

"Well met, Corilo. And Andal." Brue looked the horse over. He had good conformation. She gave Andal a wide berth, wary of his stomping hoof, then returned to Corilo, smiled, and offered a handshake. "We should get all five of us together and have a quick word." The word "five" was a bitter pill; the corner of Brue's right eye twitched involuntarily when she said it. She sighed. "Where's the gnome? He'll want to be here for this." Brue couldn't quite bring herself to use his given name.

Remove ads