• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D accused of being satans game.

Remathilis

Legend
Thanks, PC. Can you please hand me that brain bleach over there? I've got a bad mental image in my head now.

You just need one of these

braincleaner.jpg

Galloglaich

First Post
This is a pretty funny one

Straight Talk on Dungeons and Dragons

Where are all these detailed rituals they talk about ? Sounds like they are talking about a better game than i played.

But they have one thing in common with many modern gamers, the root of all evil (literally in this case) is realism :)

Back in 1986, a fellow appeared on The 700 Club who was a former employee and game writer for TSR. He testified right on the show that he got into a wrangle with the management there because he saw that the rituals were too authentic and could be dangerous. He protested to his boss and was basically told that this was the intent—to make the games as real as possible. He felt conscience-stricken (even though he was not a Christian at the time), and felt he had to resign from the company.

:uhoh:

G.

weem

First Post
I started playing when I was 12 (20 years ago) so... 1989 or so? Anyway, my mom had no clue what D&D was, so she asked me what we (my friend and I) were playing and I launched into a story about my character who was a thief - his parents were killed when he was young and he stole what he wanted and killed whatever he wanted, etc etc...

...my mom says something like... "okay, well have fun" and ushered us back to the game having more important things to do... pretty uneventful I guess, but I could imagine now how some of the parents of some of you would have handled that, hehe.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
We used to game with Satan.
Dude's a total rules-lawyer, and his PCs always have the same lame "outcast favored son" backstory.
Also, he never wanted to play the Cleric.

We ditched him.

Cheers, -- N

rgard

Adventurer
We used to game with Satan.
Dude's a total rules-lawyer, and his PCs always have the same lame "outcast favored son" backstory.
Also, he never wanted to play the Cleric.

We ditched him.

Cheers, -- N

He showed up at our game after you ditched him. He was playing an Ur-Priest when I DM'd a TPK. He didn't take it well.

alleynbard

First Post
What doubly angered me about the destruction of the books were primary their origin. My grandmother had purchased those books for me. She encouraged my interest in D&D because she saw it as venue to channel my creativity, which at the time I got involved was getting me in trouble at school.

Every Christmas from 1984 onward she bought me more books and miniatures. Next to He-Man, Star Wars and the D&D action figures/playsets were rulebooks, adventures, and supplements to satisfy my voracious appetite for all things D&D. After I started high school, I began buying my own stuff and even filled in my collection with stuff predating 1984.

My grandmother died shortly before my D&D stuff was purged. Those books had a connection to her and I am still rather angry (16 years later) about their loss. Their destruction was the last of many purges in my life. My mother threw away all of He-Man and D&D action figures (same reasons as the D&D stuff). She threw out my Star Wars action figures (Force=evil). If it looked "demonic" or was something condemned by the pastor or by one of her favorite authors it was destroyed.

To say I have never really forgiven her would be an understatement. I know she thinks she had my best interests in mind. But she never really understood me and I think that scared her more. Of course, she also never took the time.

Sorry about the therapy session there. ;) I think I was mostly illustrating how truly bad it can be. Fortunately, very few people are as extreme as my mother was.

Drowbane

First Post
Thanks!! Best laugh I've had in awhile (probably since the last time I read Jack Chick's work :p).

I especially enjoyed that link entitled "I was a Vampire... until..."

How does he come up with this stuff?

Comedic Genius! (for my sanity I must pray that CHICK isn't remotely serious)

Remove ads