• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and violence

moritheil

First Post
SiderisAnon said:
I am not going to get on the bandwagon talking about prisons being just punishment versus a level of rehabilitation as well.

Yes, I didn't realize it when I posted earlier, but ironically enough, this entire line of thought threatens to veer into politics. :p

Turanil

First Post
bweenie said:
A large part of this is due to concerns that D&D will lead to violence and gang activity, disconnect with reality, and disrespect for authority.
I am no expert, but have had an interest in psychology for a long time. I can tell you that all of these concerns are unfounded. In fact, what RPGs could do, is to let the prisoners vent out some of their frustration for being in prison, and thus be more calm when they don't play. I mean, it encourages them to think about something else than their daily life in prison, an let them imagine they live adventure in another world rather than see the walls and other prisoners, guardians, etc., all day long.

Otherwise, you could contact "DangerDwarf" on the Troll Lords Games forums. He is a "Lt. of Correctionnal Officers", and works in a prison. I once asked him if there are prisoners who play RPGs, and he answered yes (see this thread). He just added that dice were forbidden because they were associated with gambling. However, prisoners were using alternate methods to replace dice. I am sure he can testify if RPGs are dangerous or not in a prison.

roguerouge

First Post
Morrus said:
I'm certainly no psychology expert... but prison is supposed to be a punishment. Disallowing D&D (and X-boxes, and hundreds of other enjoyable activities) seems entirely appropriate to me. People aren't supposed to enjoy their time in prison.

And it's also supposed to be about rehabilitation. I see no problem with arguing that encouraging prisoners to develop the social, math, literary, performance and research skills that this game can teach. Plus, there's the possibility of therapeutic side-effects of role-playing, hence it's common use in therapy. Yes, prison is a punishment, but you end up punishing everyone else in society if you send prisoners back out to the world with no skills, no hope, and worse habits than they went in.

In addition, I find it FASCINATING that many people on the "Value of Slaves" thread were arguing that nothing bad can happen from when THEY were the ones imagining various grotesque things when I called them on it, but now...

Goobermunch

Explorer
Morrus said:
I'm certainly no psychology expert... but prison is supposed to be a punishment. Disallowing D&D (and X-boxes, and hundreds of other enjoyable activities) seems entirely appropriate to me. People aren't supposed to enjoy their time in prison.

Actually, it depends on your understanding of the penalogical purposes of incarceration. Prisons, theoretically, are supposed to serve four purposes:

1) Rehabilitation
2) Punishment
3) Incapacitation
4) Deterrence.

Only one of these is hindered by the existence of D&D in the prison system. In addition, you have to wonder about the extent to which that purpose is hindered. Prisons aren't a nice place. In fact, they rank among the most miserable places I've ever been (as a professional, not as a resident). The de-humanizing effects of a total loss of liberty, coupled with the ever-present threat of physical violence and rape, are unlikely to be outweighed by a few games of D&D.

--G

Turanil

First Post
roguerouge said:
I find it FASCINATING that many people on the "Value of Slaves" thread were arguing that nothing bad can happen from when THEY were the ones imagining various grotesque things when I called them on it, but now...
AH! AH! AH! AH! Good point! :D

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
roguerouge said:
Yes, prison is a punishment, but you end up punishing everyone else in society...

As a non-moderator I want to say "Lets becareful here lest we attract the attention of the moderators." This discussion should not veer into social issues or politics. That way leads to getting hit by a hammer.

In any event, the OP was asking for a someone who coulkd serve as an expert witness on these matters.

How about E. G. Gygax?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads