• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D Beyond change - can't see list of books you've bought

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
It's infuriating. It's ignorant User Experience design.

When logged in to D&D Beyond, from the header when you roll over Sourcebooks...it shows "Featured" books, and you can click to "View all" but then there's NO OPTION to only view books you have purchased. There is no collection of the books you've purchased. You can "View All" and then you can click on a book to see the table of contents. But from there, you have to actually click on a a chapter to discover if you own it, and if you don't it drives you the purchase page. This is absurd.

Clarification from comments below: apparently this was never allowed, however you used to be about to filter and see all your purchased books in the marketplace. They have removed a way to filter in the Marketplace at the same time they removed the micro-transactions.

Last edited:

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
Did the website ever do this? I don't recall ever having the ability to filter on owned books other than in the app.
There's a pretty long thread on ddb forums complaining about it. I also heard from one of the podcasts, can't remember which one, said that the marketplace will even let people accidentally buy a book they already owned a second time. It used to block that from happening. I haven't tested that myself though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There's a pretty long thread on ddb forums complaining about it. I also heard from one of the podcasts, can't remember which one, said that the marketplace will even let people accidentally buy a book they already owned a second time. It used to block that from happening. I haven't tested that myself though.
Somewhere, Cory Doctrow looks into the camera as a single tear rolls down his cheek.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yes, it did. In fact, it aggressively filtered them by default, making it hard, for instance, to buy them for a friend if you already owned them.
That sounds like it's for the marketplace which did allow you to hide purchased books. I never saw anything on the actual sourcebooks tab that let you filter them to show only the ones that you had already purchased.

Clint_L

Legend
It never filtered the books you own on the sourcebooks page that I can recall, but I agree that this is a pain and it seems like it should be easy enough for them to do.

It’s more of a minor inconvenience than enraging, for me. Didn’t we discuss this in another thread a few months back?

I don’t think you can double purchase the same book in digital format for yourself, though. Unless that’s maybe possible through buying both the digital version and the bundle? Anyway, if you did so by mistake, I’m pretty sure they’d refund you.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I had thought that I might have bought Tome of Beasts twice, because I had thought that I bought it back when it first dropped on Beyond, but it didn't say that I owned it when I went to buy Flee Mortals the other day, so I tried to buy it again (turns out that I was right that I had bought it earlier!) But it looks like it might have dropped off the order, and they only charged me for Flee Mortals.

Remove ads