• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

T

TDarien

Please show me a PDF where you can do a search like I did. I want to see all Cleric spells that do radiant damage, and only those spells. And do it across multiple books.

I'll wait.

schnee

First Post
Your attempt to attack me personally is misguided. Not wanting to pay for something in no way implies a financial burden.

Why is implying a burden insulting? We've all been there. I know I have. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I was actually saying the opposite. If you wants something for free while being fully capable of paying, then that is definitely something to be ashamed of.

in no way did I imply I wanted it for Free.

I apologize about that. I misunderstood.

I think it should be administered through wizards for purchase in which you pay a equitable amount to wizards who in turn pays the 3rd party companies. I am not saying I purchased a HC so I want it all. Development costs money, I am suggesting a change in the delivery method to incorporate a discount for bundling products.

It's not an unrealistic business model see Paizo they do it right now successfully with their products as do other companies. No PDF for pirates fine. But maybe pay $50 for digital PHB but then unlock functionality in all 3. Want only FG and DDB ok 40 just 1 30. But with current model it's $90.

Ah, this is a different thing entirely.

Sure, we all want cheaper bundles. But bundles are a method to get more profit when you otherwise wouldn't get the sale, generally on a thing that you already have available and can deliver cheaply. You're just using resources you already have.

But, this is not the same thing. They are doing something new. And, let me tell you, from being in publishing and software on and off for 20+ years, my guess is they are in no position to offer steep bundles. My bet is that Curse was chosen as an outsource company because Wizards wants to test the idea out before they bite, (like Leaping Lizards basically brought MTGO to them), and this whole thing has to live and die on it's own merits without affecting the bottom line of the tabletop game business.

They've seen a few of these fail miserably in earlier editions, so this is as much hedging their bets as it is trying to see if D&D can become a purely online phenomenon that will take off even bigger than the books.

They are not only creating a complicated database and gaming logic, they're tying it in to video streaming, and from developing for that tech first-hand, it's complicated at best and really hard at worst. They're also repurposing print documents to deeply meta-linked online content, which isn't hard, but is time-consuming. There really isn't any room for deep discounts due to the kind of work they're doing, and the volume of content they are churning through.

So, yeah - a bundle would be great. I don't see it happening. Not due to the type of business this is, and the fact that they're doing a 'new thing' instead of just attaching a few more PDFs to an existing sale of books.

The solution I use for this: Phone with Turboscan > scan monster statblock from book > print > keep printouts by table for use.

With a wireless printer this is a fast enough process you can do it on the fly during the game.

Sheet protectors + wet or dry erase markers let you mark these things up in all kinds of ways - such as tracking hit points or conditions for multiple monsters - and keep the actual print out clean for re-use.

It's not a "digital solution" but it works pretty well at the table.
Or, get D&D Beyond and save myself all that work whne I'm pressed for time as it is.

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I fully realize this for one, but the problem is I have repurchased all the books for FG after owning the paper ones. So to make any PC I want albeit at a limited amount I have to pay $90 for SCAG, VOLO and PHB. Let alone wanting DMG and MM info for my DMing. I am less bothered by the sub for $3. If I didn't already have FG I would strongly consider but I find it hard that pathfinder can setup discounts for the digital products on a platform like FG that you have purchased. Yet Wizards cant seem to do it across the 3 platforms it now has setup (Roll20, FG and not DDB) subsidizing the cost so the 3rd party still gets their normal amount.

That's understandable. I had been on the fence regarding VTTs for a long time. I play in person, but find scratching everything down on paper to be tedious. I was starting to prepare some things in Roll20 for a campaign, but now this seems like the better option for me. If I was already using a VTT and had purchased products through it I doubt it would be worth it for me to spend money on this product. And like I said I will probably never subscribe unless my friends start using it too.

xanstin

Explorer
Why is implying a burden insulting?

The tone of your comment was received aggressively, my apologies if it wasn't meant that way.

.....So, yeah - a bundle would be great. I don't see it happening. Not due to the type of business this is, and the fact that they're doing a 'new thing' instead of just attaching a few more PDFs to an existing sale of books.

To be clear the burden of the discount should be absorbed by WOTC who ultimately benefits as their game and IP continues to diversify across multiple platforms which facilitates more people's needs and in turn opens the game to increased new players.

The monthly cost I would hope also includes some of the development cost of programming I would hope.

I am willing to bet a big chunk of the cost of the product goes back to wizards for a licensing fee and that said fee should be what wizards doesn't triple dip you for. I want the developer to still get what they are owed. So any bundle discount is wizards taking a hit in licensing fees for the same user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ristamar

Adventurer
Well, I do think people who are saying "PDF!" are really saying "I want a simple to use digital copy of the rules text without having to pay for for extras like character builders and campaign managers."

That is, I think they may be feeling that D&D Beyond is providing too many features and that means they'll wind up paying more for this awesome searchable text than they ought to, or would be paying if it was just this awesome searchable text.

Plus, of course, the concern that they're buying a product that might require the company to stay in business to continue accessing. This is my big hurdle. I don't want to feel that I'm just leasing the book, that I'll lose what I paid for if the company fails.

I'm not sure "too many features" is the real problem. I'd wager that the perceived value of the current feature set is lower than the current pricing model versus competing products and people are wary of future development promises.

A lot of the consumers being targeted by DDB are largely satisfied with the free or relatively cheap tools and generators that have been available for years while power users have likely already invested in a competing package. A new app isn't going to entice many users tied to competing software to open their wallets unless it's very innovative or less expensive.

darjr

I crit!
Please show me a PDF where you can do a search like I did. I want to see all Cleric spells that do radiant damage, and only those spells. And do it across multiple books.

I'll wait.

Going to hold your breath too? Just because you can't do a Google search doesn't make it untrue.

But you keep on moving those goalposts.

Last edited by a moderator:

fjw70

Adventurer
When I first saw the pricing stuff yesterday I thought it looked reasonable and was onboard. However, after thinking about it some more I have upgraded my opinion to thinking this is a bargain. I am definitely in for the three core books and the player's sub at launch. I was going to hold off on the sub until I see what the free ad version looks like but $3 a month is nothing so I might as well just get that and support the tools even more than the book purchases.

I have been asking for a suitable PDF substitute or pdfs for the last three years. This is more than a suitable substitute and is a far superior product IMO. I haven't even tried out the character builder yet (but I don't care much about that).

My only question now is whether to keep buying the physical books knowing that will the DDB version I will never open them up.

JRedmond

Explorer
I'm willing to buy the book twice for the PDF. I'm not alone. I don't need a wizbang funco app either. I can search across PDF. Read them in my epaper Kindle, and even on my Linux machine. Heck even on the CMD line or audible if it comes to it. This thing will only ever be their thing on a phone or website. And it looks like it'll be cluttered with controls and buttons and adds if I don't subscribe. Even if I buy the content. No sub and you get freaking adds over stuff I paid for.

If you're willing to buy the book twice to get the PDF then do that. I own the PDF for the PHB and I have had it since the book first came out. There are companies that will scan your book, then destroy the book and send you a PDF. There is nothing stopping you from doing this. I can tell you searching the PDF is a lot slower than DDB.

Remove ads

Remove ads