D&D 5E D&D Beyond: Raven Queen

Crown Wars is too FR specific, the book has to cover GH as well, but in many campaign settings that have Drow in it there's always an implied war against the Drow. DL and DS don't apply since they don't have Drow.

Of course Drow can be different on some worlds such as Eberron, or that part of the plane of Ysgard, Svartalfheim where they are more like the Dark Elves of Norse mythology.

gyor

Legend
Crown Wars is too FR specific, the book has to cover GH as well, but in many campaign settings that have Drow in it there's always an implied war against the Drow. DL and DS don't apply since they don't have Drow.

Of course Drow can be different on some worlds such as Eberron, or that part of the plane of Ysgard, Svartalfheim where they are more like the Dark Elves of Norse mythology.

They can have some side bars for FR and other setting wear it makes sense, just like Volo's had a side bar for FR in the Tabaxi and a few other parts. They don't have to go super indepths.

The Crown Wars are probably the greatest Elf on Elf war in D&D history.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
They can have some side bars for FR and other setting wear it makes sense, just like Volo's had a side bar for FR in the Tabaxi and a few other parts. They don't have to go super indepths.

The Crown Wars are probably the greatest Elf on Elf war in D&D history.

Other than the ongoing and never ending war with the drow, perhaps, although the DL Kinslayer war was pretty bad, but either way it’s a war that is long over.

gyor

Legend
Other than the ongoing and never ending war with the drow, perhaps, although the DL Kinslayer war was pretty bad, but either way it’s a war that is long over.

The Crown Wars caused that long drawn out war with the Drow in FR and was bigger and nastier then the frequent raids the Drow and surface elves conduct on each other. Seriously read up on the Crown Wars, it's an interesting time period in FR.

S

Sunseeker

The Raven Queen is arguably one of my favorite deities. In part because it was nice to have a "death god" that wasn't all "MURDER THE LIVING MAWHAHAHAHA!!!!" and her association with winter brought back all those nice "Winter Fey" concepts where "dark fey" and "dark elves" weren't evil, just associated with a different season that people didn't like.

I actually plan on using the Raven Queen in Ravenloft to deal with the ridiculously stupid sentient talking ravens issue.

I tried to watch the video, I really did....but it just like rambles and rambles and after about 3 minutes I wasn't even paying attention.

doctorbadwolf

The Crown Wars caused that long drawn out war with the Drow in FR and was bigger and nastier then the frequent raids the Drow and surface elves conduct on each other. Seriously read up on the Crown Wars, it's an interesting time period in FR.

I’ve read up on it a bit, but I don’t really care much for FR, so I’ll probably not ever do a deep dive.

My point was simply that it only happened in FR, so unless they decide to bring it out into the wider multiverse, it doesn’t belong in a book like MToF.

doctorbadwolf

The Raven Queen is arguably one of my favorite deities. In part because it was nice to have a "death god" that wasn't all "MURDER THE LIVING MAWHAHAHAHA!!!!" and her association with winter brought back all those nice "Winter Fey" concepts where "dark fey" and "dark elves" weren't evil, just associated with a different season that people didn't like.

I actually plan on using the Raven Queen in Ravenloft to deal with the ridiculously stupid sentient talking ravens issue.

I tried to watch the video, I really did....but it just like rambles and rambles and after about 3 minutes I wasn't even paying attention.

Wait, what’s stupid about sentient talking ravens? IRL crows aren’t even that far from either trait, fantasy ravens tend to have the traits of crows and ravens combined bc ppl are lazy, and often speak and show signs of sentience. Why do you need a god in the mix to make it “make sense”?

dave2008

Legend
Ravens ARE crows. :p

No they are not. Ravens and crows are related, but not the same. FYI, Ravens (in the US at least) are much larger than crows.

American Crow: .7-1.4lbs
American Raven: 1.5-4.4 lbs

for comparison

Red-tailed Hawk: 2.4 +/- lbs

I'm from Ohio and where I live we have lots of crows, but little to no ravens. When I traveled out west as a child I remember being blown away by the size of the raven's. They were almost as large as eagles!

Remove ads