D&D Beyond: Shadar-Kai

darjr

I crit!
[video=youtube;ZYou87fg1f0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYou87fg1f0[/video]

This goes into a little more detail about how the Shardar-Kai and the Raven Queen were associated with each other. And brings back another classic monster! Skesis... I mean Nagpa.

Shadar-Kai can fey step, sort of. And I like how they are delaying some abilities to later levels. It would be cool if the Aarokokra would come back with the ability to fly at higher levels.

gyor

Legend
Interesting lore, but no idea how it applies to the Forgotten Realms where the Raven Queen isn't a thing or Nentir Vale where she is a full fledged God.

Pauln6

Hero
Too much fluff for existing campaigns but some of the background sounds fun, even if I prefer the Cenobyte style shadar kai from 4e. Is there or will there be a Raven Queen Warlock?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Is there or will there be a Raven Queen Warlock?

The Hexblade is the Raven Queen warlock. The fluff of the subclass says that your patron is a mysterious entity from the Shadowfell and which manifests itself as a sentient magic weapon. And that the sages say the Raven Queen was perhaps the first to forge one of these weapons and thus the entity and the RQ are one and the same.

But as we've seen now in Critical Role... there's nothing stopping a DM and player for coming up with a different patron that has granted the magical weapon. In CR, the hexblade PC Fjord was given this weapon from a watery entity-- quite possibly a kraken. But there's nothing to stop you from having it be from any entity if you wanted.

So for instance, in the FR with a little futzing and perhaps changing a feature or two... you could make the hexblades actually be Moonblades, and the patron be the elven ancestor who first produced the weapon. You'd probably want to shave some of the shadow focus off (perhaps replacing it with a bit of the Archfey patron features)... but the subclass is a great way to make a "magic weapon focused" PC.

gyor

Legend
In Adventurer's League a Shadar Kai Shadow Magic Sorcerer and a Shadar Kai Hexblade will not be legal combos.

Once again because of how races and subclasses are released aburdly thematic combos are disallowed. Niether would be overpowered.

Hexblade refers to the Shadowfell and the Raven Queen and the Shadow Sorcerer refers to Sorcerers who becamd infused withe magic of the Shadowfell or are descended from creatures of the Shadowfell.

In Adventurer's League a Shadar Kai Shadow Magic Sorcerer and a Shadar Kai Hexblade will not be legal combos.

Once again because of how races and subclasses are released aburdly thematic combos are disallowed. Niether would be overpowered.

Hexblade refers to the Shadowfell and the Raven Queen and the Shadow Sorcerer refers to Sorcerers who becamd infused withe magic of the Shadowfell or are descended from creatures of the Shadowfell.

You mean, unless they reprint the hexblade and/or shadow sorcerer in a book that has the SK. Of course I admit that is ridiculous, everyone knows WotC never reprints anything :erm:

Pauln6

Hero

My character is converted from a shadow mage. I was hoping for a shadow tome warlock. Sorcerer is OK but they don't seem to have much in the way of shadow spells. I have repurposed the feylock by swapping misty escape for a bonus action teleport from shadow to shadow a bit like the Monk.

gyor

Legend
forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Fane_of_Shadows

This is how it might all fit together in FR, I'd forgotten about the Fane of Shadow aka the Temple of Shadows.

It's a temple that travels between worlds, anywhere that has a God of Shadows or Night.

It was created by Shar, but it's sacred to all the Gods of Night and Shadows of all worlds, with the statues of these Gods in it.

It appears in FR on a certain date in the same spot, then travels to the next world.

The Raven Queen as a deity at least on one world (Nentir) would have a presence in the Fane of Shadows.

And the Fane of Shadows has gifts for those who worship Gods of Shadows and Night, only 1 per person, but they are gifts of tremendous power from the Weave Tap, to the power to become an immortal Shade, and so much more.

Perhaps what created the Shadar Kai was the release of something in the Fane of Shadows, some magic.

Just a thought.

BTW in FR Shar, Mask, Set (Zehir), Vhaerun, Shagaar, are all Gods of Darkness/Night/Shadows. Sharess used to be tied to Shar so she MIGHT be represented there as well, might not be, she turned her back on Shar.

Remove ads