WotC D&D Beyond Update: 2024 Core Rulebooks, Maps, and Third Party Content.

Lots of feature improvements to maps.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 17.14.39.png

Maps has a number of updates.
  • Lots of feature improvements to maps--tokens, fog, and user interface.
  • 'Spectator Mode' allows DMs to open a separate tab as a player view on a separate monitor, streaming, etc.
  • 'Draw Tool' allows you to freehand draw on the map.
  • 6 products from back catalogue plus third party content added to library.
  • Pointer added.
  • You can now rename a token.
  • Enhancement and support will include the 2024 core rulebooks.
Maps is 'here to stay' and will continue to be supported.

Regarding third party products, apparently they are inviting 'many third parties to the party'.

darjr

I crit!
Again, I think that is a different thing. the 3D VTT is positioned for serious microtransaction monetization. Not everyone will be on board with that. But people are not going to leave Roll20 for Maps if Maps just decides it isn't going to add at least industry standard features, and WotC knows it. I am baffled by people who think WotC would do that. it makes no sense at all.
I dunno. Just making suggestions.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
What makes you think this? I know they have suggested as much, but do you really think they will just stop development when it is halfway there, despite people continually asking them for more features? Because you know people will do.
While you may be correct, I know I have the impression that they intended this maps tool to be minimalist and lightweight. They never refer to it as a VTT and reserve that term for the 3d VTT. So, I think, that it is conceivable that this is not intended to compete with VTTs like Roll20, Fantasygrounds and the rest.
I think that there is a case to be made to keep it simple as possible. That said, I could be wrong and they intend to build this out. Though I think that a lot of the campaign and encounter management infra structure could be built as part of those elements of D&DBeyond and not directly into the maps section.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
What makes you think this? I know they have suggested as much, but do you really think they will just stop development when it is halfway there, despite people continually asking them for more features? Because you know people will do.

I don't see why they wouldn't stop at a certain point. There's a high end VTT on the horizon, if that doesn't crash and burn for some reason I don't see why they wouldn't just stick to the plan.

Oofta

Legend
Again, I think that is a different thing. the 3D VTT is positioned for serious microtransaction monetization. Not everyone will be on board with that. But people are not going to leave Roll20 for Maps if Maps just decides it isn't going to add at least industry standard features, and WotC knows it. I am baffled by people who think WotC would do that. it makes no sense at all.

People aren't going to leave Roll20? Really? Because if this had been available when I was running games online I would have seriously considered it. Roll20 can do some cool things but I value my time. While I have no plans on running remote games ever again, if I did Maps would suit my needs as well or better than Roll20 did. 🤷‍♂️

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Accurately describing where it's at so far is not criticism unless you feel some pre-existing attachment to it?
That's not what some people are doing.......I have no attachment to it at all. I'd like to see it continue to improve, but I don't care if it does or does not.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
People aren't going to leave Roll20? Really? Because if this had been available when I was running games online I would have seriously considered it. Roll20 can do some cool things but I value my time. While I have no plans on running remote games ever again, if I did Maps would suit my needs as well or better than Roll20 did. 🤷‍♂️
I have heavily invested in FantasyGround I recently am involved in a game with my nephews and some of their friends and they do not all have PC access and I think that maps is an excellent tool for that type of group. I would probably prefer it to roll20.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads