WotC D&D Beyond Update: 2024 Core Rulebooks, Maps, and Third Party Content.

Lots of feature improvements to maps.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 17.14.39.png

Maps has a number of updates.
  • Lots of feature improvements to maps--tokens, fog, and user interface.
  • 'Spectator Mode' allows DMs to open a separate tab as a player view on a separate monitor, streaming, etc.
  • 'Draw Tool' allows you to freehand draw on the map.
  • 6 products from back catalogue plus third party content added to library.
  • Pointer added.
  • You can now rename a token.
  • Enhancement and support will include the 2024 core rulebooks.
Maps is 'here to stay' and will continue to be supported.

Regarding third party products, apparently they are inviting 'many third parties to the party'.

Reynard

Legend
I have heavily invested in FantasyGround I recently am involved in a game with my nephews and some of their friends and they do not all have PC access and I think that maps is an excellent tool for that type of group. I would probably prefer it to roll20.
Fantasy Grounds illustrates the worst feature of the current VTT climate: you can't take it with you. That is,there is no way to purchase "the VTT implementation" of a particular book. You have to purchase the SPECIFIC VTT implementation.

That, I think, is the problem.Maps is trying to solve and why I think Maps is going to ultimately aim for the industry standard. They want folks to buy Beyond books knowing they don't have to ever buy them again for another VTT.

The 3D project is a different animal with different goals, aimed at the subset of gamers for whom 3D and even 1st person "TTRPG" play is desirable enough to dump a stupid amount of money into. Those people exist. We know they do. There is some overlap, but they are mostly a different cohort than those that "just want to play D&D online."

I will reiterate because I think it is important: WotC is not going to half-ass Maps given the investment. It is goingvto be somewhere in the Roll20 capability zone, because if you are going to pkay D&D online, they want you to play D&D using Beyond, exclusively.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
What makes you think this? I know they have suggested as much, but do you really think they will just stop development when it is halfway there, despite people continually asking them for more features? Because you know people will do.
I assume they will keep adding features, but I don't ever see it being as feature rich as Roll20, Foundry, etc. But who knows, maybe they will add automated spell templates, area of effect damage calculations, select a token to attack and automate damage, condition tracking and other automations. Maybe (though I doubt it) they will add in dynamic lighting, automatic fog of war reveal, and line of sight. Maybe the only main thing differentiating Maps from their full-featured VTT is the 3D functionality. But looking at the road map and pace of development in DDB over the years, it will take a long time to get there. And I'm okay with that. Get the basic stuff right. Right now it just works. It works well. It is incredibly simple to use with very low learning curve. So, sure, they will keep developing it and add new features. But it will likely be years before it would at the level of Foundry, Roll20, etc.

Personally, I feel Foundry, Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, etc. should take a step back and focus on making a simple mode, improving their GUIs, and lowering in learning curve. Maps is far superior in this aspect.

MNblockhead

Again, I think that is a different thing. the 3D VTT is positioned for serious microtransaction monetization.

So is DDB. I mean you can buy spells, monsters, items if you don't want to, say, buy an entire adventure book. They sell custom digital dice, custom character sheet decor, etc. I assume you'll eventually be able to buy maps and map packs. The full-featured VTT will likely sell prepped 3D and 2D maps with all the bells and whistles pre-configured, 3D minis, etc. I don't see mico-transactions being the differentiating feature, other than I expect many of the assets for sale on the full-featured VTT will likely be more expensive than the more simple assets that will be available for the more simple Maps tool.

Not everyone will be on board with that. But people are not going to leave Roll20 for Maps if Maps just decides it isn't going to add at least industry standard features, and WotC knows it. I am baffled by people who think WotC would do that. it makes no sense at all.
No, of course they wouldn't. They really are not the market. Though, for people who only play D&D and who don't use the advanced features of Roll20, I could see them ditching Roll20 for Maps as it is now, especially if they already subscribe to DDB.

MNblockhead

Good point. They tend to squirm a lot, and the ink gets in their fur, which can cause them to leave ink tracks everywhere. And they often get annoyed enough to bite!
The trick is to cradle it gently in your palm letting it nibble on cheese and peanut butter, while you dip its tail in an in jar and use its tail as a caligraphy brush. But I highly recommend using rats over mice. Easier to clean up their tails and you can write more crisply without the hair. The length of their tails also makes things easier.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Fantasy Grounds illustrates the worst feature of the current VTT climate: you can't take it with you. That is,there is no way to purchase "the VTT implementation" of a particular book. You have to purchase the SPECIFIC VTT implementation.

That, I think, is the problem.Maps is trying to solve and why I think Maps is going to ultimately aim for the industry standard. They want folks to buy Beyond books knowing they don't have to ever buy them again for another VTT.
If maps allowed the upload of custom tokens I could play anything (Not just D&D) on maps, do not even need the rest of D&DBeyond. Just Maps and Discord.
If I use D&DBeyond character sheets and the encounter builder they provide some automation. One has to manually manage hits, conditions and HP loss but having years of experience with FG I think that full automation can be a trap and there are always cases where it does not apply which are a pain.
The 3D project is a different animal with different goals, aimed at the subset of gamers for whom 3D and even 1st person "TTRPG" play is desirable enough to dump a stupid amount of money into. Those people exist. We know they do. There is some overlap, but they are mostly a different cohort than those that "just want to play D&D online."

I will reiterate because I think it is important: WotC is not going to half-ass Maps given the investment. It is goingvto be somewhere in the Roll20 capability zone, because if you are going to pkay D&D online, they want you to play D&D using Beyond, exclusively.
I fully agree with your last point that they want as many people on D&DBeyond as they can get. Once you have your subscription and buy a book, I am not sure that they care that you use all the bells and whistles that D&DBeyond provides. That is, if you are buying books on Beyond and using their character sheet, I do not think that they will care a lot about whether you are playing on Maps, or Roll20 or whatever.
One thing, I believe that they do not want is that D&DBeyond binds the hands of future developers of the game.
By that, I think that at the moment D&DBeyond needs custom coding to handle the framework of a new class. That is a binding on the game design team. They cannot simply drop in a new class in an upcoming book without coordinating with the Beyond devs.
I think that will change, at the very least if they want to make maps and the 'Beyond tools more attractive to DMs then adding custom classes should be available.
I think Maps will reach an acceptable level just short of the current VTTs but the campaign management, class and subclass and magic customisation will get some attention as will the encounter builder. In fact if you look at it published milestones for the maps utility, when completed it will fall short of Roll20. I think that in the short term the published milestones are what we will get. After that they are likely to deal with the other bottlenecks in 'Beyond that hinder DMs from using their service. Customisation, encounters, and campaign management.
I have used the encounters tool for a face to face one-shot and it is serviceable but I would not like to use it for a whole campaign. It lacks any real way to organise it.
The campaign tools are also as bare as they could possibly be. Even the character sheet could do with a UX review. It is not bad but stuff can be had to find in it and needs better note tasking.

My new suggestion is to add tool to create cinematic scenes, like machinimas videos, OK, I said it before. Or why not tool to create visual interactive novels? Like the "Endless Quest" gamebooks, but adding cinematic scenes, and maybe some QTE (quick time event). Or creating webcomics using the VTTs.

Why not a solo wargame mode? Starting with skirmishes and later mass battles like Warhammer: Total War.

Remove ads

Remove ads