• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D blog 04/04/12

tlantl

First Post
It's a bit odd how with all of the stuff that needs working on, they post a blog about adventures and modules. You'd think that this stuff would be dealt with next year some time after the core rules and the modular bits were pretty much taken care of.

As for the blog most of the choices concerning player preferences could have been consolidated into a smaller selection. Horror, mystery, Arch villain are just different elements of story.

I voted against certain adventure elements rather than for anything specific since I like a good chunk of the choices but really don't want a crap ton of junk based on the things I really don't care for.

S

Sunseeker

See, as a player and DM, I am not a fan of limited player choices. I love a good dungeon crawl, especially when part of a big adventure path with all of the other roleplaying, puzzles and trap goodies mixed in.

A good campaign has a little bit of everything mixed in at all times. I much prefer traps and puzzle dungeons(though I'm not as good at them), to wading through enemy ranks dungeons.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
First poll I've been completely unable to answer. I like most of those elements, in moderation. My favorite, however, is mystery, which I only enjoy when I do myself. Published adventure mysteries are typically too tied to the storyteller mindset to work in my style--more about establishing the atmosphere of a mystery than the play of one. So no, the way they do mysteries I despise, and that doesn't leave me much room to answer.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's a bit odd how with all of the stuff that needs working on, they post a blog about adventures and modules. You'd think that this stuff would be dealt with next year some time after the core rules and the modular bits were pretty much taken care of.
Seeing as how one of their ideas seems to be that 5e will be based around the adventure, it makes sense that adventures are something they want to get right.

It's an odd-numbered edition so history is slightly in their favour in that regard. :)

Lanefan

Caster

Explorer

Actually it makes perfect sense - as I outlined in another thread it's actually essential (pun intended) that WOTC lock down the kind of adventures they want to present to 5e gamers. Especially if it involves evening-out the play action across all 3 Pillars (Combat, Exploration, Interaction) rather then focusing mainly on Combat Encounters as 4e does.

With the pre-viz of the gaming experience that are aiming for in place it is then possible to proceed with creating the core rules that enable those kinds are adventures to be played out at the table.

Doing it the 'Rules First' restricts adventure design to being restricted to what is make possible by the core a la 4e.

Dave

Remove ads