• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Brand Manager of Fluff

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
And Now for Something Completely Different...

I'm going to propose an idea seldom heard before, an OGL Setting. (A what?!? How would that work? Glad you asked.) A generic fantasy setting where the first book is canon and everyone else can produce supplements designed for that specific setting. This way, an adventure can be written about how the players encounter the "Blood Hammer Tribe of Orcs" instead of "a tribe of orcs." Also, another company can produce another supplement about that same orc tribe. This will present a series of alternate futures/specifics about the setting/signature characters/etc for DMs to choose from.

More detail: Say the core settings book described the Blood Hammer Tribe as being rather difficult for the local army to track down. Goodman could describe them as being nomads with no clear pattern of attack. But say Necromancer doesn't really like that idea and instead wants the orcs to have an arcanist who teleports their raiding party to and from the location. Two choices for the DM to choose from and the players can't recite the book back to the DM on how he's "wrong."

And yes I know that the DM is always right, except whenever the players badger the DM into giving in just so they can move on, but I'd like to see the DM empowered some, in this respect.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Ruin Explorer said:
der_kluge said:
Aurora's Whole Realm's Catalogue - expanded, and ported to 3.5 - not FR specific.
Yes. Bring it back, dammit. I never got more use out of a sourcebook for any setting in any game, my players were constantly flicking through it, and it really brought the world to life on a very "low" but important level.
I have to agree with these guys. Fluff books are not rules oriented, but are still immediately useful to DMs. Wizards' new Grand History of the Realms is a perfect example. Take a look at the Book of Ebon Bindings too. Perhaps the most successful line of "fluff" books in RPGs are GURPS supplements. They can be hit or miss, but when you want to run a game, they provide a very clear and comprehensive overview on a variety of common RPG options.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I personally own 2 copies of Aurora's- very very handy fluff.

Other fluff ideas:

Location books: a wizard or alchemist's lab, abandoned tower, sewer systems, etc., with the maps & such...but without being populated. You know, like some of the old 1Ed modules used to be- remember B1? Plenty of room for a GM to customize without having to do ALL the work.

Organization books: like the location books, organizations complete with goals, secret agendas, hidden techniques, etc., including scaling info, but without statted-out personnel. Handy ones might be the Chapter house of a city's Thieve's Guild, or the Adventurer's Guild

Obviously, some of these could be combined.

One AD&D product I loved that has no current parallel was The Rogue's Gallery, containing Lassviren the Dark. Essentially a Monster Manual of NPCs, it could contain info on the classic example of the NPC, plus scaling hints.

szilard said:
The Book of Legends - Feature a number of legends that can be dropped into a variety of campaigns- say 20-30. Each of them gets a bardic song and a few variations on the story. Each legend gets a number of adventure hooks... maybe a map or two... and possibly a couple write-ups of unique NPCs/monsters/magic items.

-Stuart
That's a really good one. I also agree with everyone saying Aurora's Whole Realm's Catalogue...

Remove ads