• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D campaign bible

DungeonMaester

First Post
I am working on putting together a complete campiagn setting that will explain everything that makes a setting come to life. On my list I have:

Governments
Cities
Famous npcs
Famous locations
Cultures by tribes/cities/states
Comprehensive History

Anything else I should add?

---Rusty

edemaitre

Explorer
I recommend adding the following:

-Geographical features (in a fantasy setting, this can include moving islands, floating mountains, Ley lines, planar portals, etc.) Weather patterns may also be useful, if the area is large enough.

-Trade goods: In addition to the usual foodstuffs, metalwork, and textiles, this can include rare materials and exotic steeds. These would also vary by locality -- for example, the Dwarves living in the foothills between mountains and human-occupied plains might trade their mithril and adamantine for wheat to make beer.

-Factions: Even Lawful Good groups don't always see eye to eye. For example, an order of Paladins might prefer to defend their temple's interest, while a secular order of knights may view the king or kingdom as its proper master. What if only one is corrupted? Every realm, city, and race will have numerous interests.

-Villains: Every good drama has tension. Are the gods fighting among themselves, or do their followers have different interpretations of their will? Who has made deals with devils/demons or amassed Undead armies? Which nations have gone horribly wrong (typically the Drow in the Underdark or its equivalent)? Also, who or where are the "points of light?"

I also recommend starting with a broad outline, then fleshing things in as the Player Characters explore. Yes, staying a step or two ahead of the party can be a challenge, but at least you'll be spending time and effort addressing their interests rather than be frustrated when they skip the portion of the subcontinent that you've developed.

DungeonMaester

First Post
Moniker said:
Check out the Campaign Builders Guide community at http://www.thecbg.org/news.php

We have a huge community of world builders for fantasy games.

A great link but I'd rather not hunt down ideas from a forest of forums. I have a few out there that i will stick to this time, but I'll use that next time.

edemaitre said:
I recommend adding the following:

-Geographical features (in a fantasy setting, this can include moving islands, floating mountains, Ley lines, planar portals, etc.) Weather patterns may also be useful, if the area is large enough.

-Trade goods: In addition to the usual foodstuffs, metalwork, and textiles, this can include rare materials and exotic steeds. These would also vary by locality -- for example, the Dwarves living in the foothills between mountains and human-occupied plains might trade their mithril and adamantine for wheat to make beer.

-Factions: Even Lawful Good groups don't always see eye to eye. For example, an order of Paladins might prefer to defend their temple's interest, while a secular order of knights may view the king or kingdom as its proper master. What if only one is corrupted? Every realm, city, and race will have numerous interests.

-Villains: Every good drama has tension. Are the gods fighting among themselves, or do their followers have different interpretations of their will? Who has made deals with devils/demons or amassed Undead armies? Which nations have gone horribly wrong (typically the Drow in the Underdark or its equivalent)? Also, who or where are the "points of light?"

I also recommend starting with a broad outline, then fleshing things in as the Player Characters explore. Yes, staying a step or two ahead of the party can be a challenge, but at least you'll be spending time and effort addressing their interests rather than be frustrated when they skip the portion of the subcontinent that you've developed.

Indeed. That all fits into the broad categories I laid out. Actually, I made them broad for that reason.

The setting it's self is inspired by art such as this: http://www.imaginistix.com/details.cfm?Id=955

My reasons are three fold:

1) I love the art and concept of Darksun and like settings
2) I saw a little bit of this kind of art in Book of 9 swords, and am disappointed it did not become its own setting.
3) I am tired of the MMO looking rpg art in 4th ed already. Keep in mind this is my personal opinion.

By biggest disadvantage is discribing terrain as I imagine it.

Also..Customizable map gens, Where could I find one?

Voadam

Legend
Cosmology. Covering planes, powers, pantheons. Issues such as the realities of death/afterlife and magic in the setting.

Lorthanoth

Explorer
Hmm for me, it would be the incidental things, the little things. Costume, fashion, eating habits, daily rituals, social customs; these things make an adventure or campaign come to life far more to me than a complex, detailed history (most of which the average PC will never find out)

DungeonMaester

First Post
szilard said:
I put together a culture-making checklist that might be helpful.

-Stuart

Interesting. That is making me rethink how I am doing my skeleton outline.

Another difficulty I have is not coming up with culture, but how is evolves through out the history. My design goal is to create a world with a comprehensive time line with its own culture and politics that change as the time does so I can pick a point of time and throw the players in the mix. I think that is a lofty goal.

---Rusty

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Who is this bible for? What kind of game are you running? What are the players into? What are you most interested in?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads