• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Campaign Settings you have played most in your life

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Homebrew for most of my gaming years.

Forgotten Realms for one short campaign (maybe 3-4 months).

Ravenloft for about a 6 months-ish.

Dragonlance for a few sessions (the party got misted off to Ravenloft and never made it out).

That's about it, at least for D&D settings. But, my homebrews always borrow a lot of material from pretty much everything.

1 – Forgotten Realms – ever since the grey box, it’s felt more than a little like gaming home.
2 – Homebrew, though that’s taking them as a whole, individually, Nevere, Venaxia, the Wrathful Road, the Imperator Empire, and others would rank farther down.
3 – Dark Sun – both played and ran a fair bit of this back in 2e.
4 – Spelljammer – loved the kooky kitchen sink of it.
5 – Greyhawk – the only reason it edged out Dragonlance is because of a recent 1e game I ran set there for a solid year.

ccs

41st lv DM
Hmm, most to least;

Homebrew - 38 years of gaming, this wins hands down.

Golarion - we've been playing PF weekly since shortly after it launched. An average of 45 sessions/year x 9(?) years.... Most of those sessions spent on Golarion.

Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms - split about evenly over the years & heavily interspersed by HB - until Pathfinder launched.
2013-17 - GH catches up by 4 years thanks to the shops 1e game.
2015+ - FR gains another 3 years & some weeks thanks to the shops 5e games.
Still think these settings are behind Golarion.

Mystara - probably about 3 or 4 years worth. At 1st our games didn't have a world at all, as all we had was the 1980 Basic box. About a year later we got the Expert set & it had a world map. We played BEC in declining amounts as our gaming switched to 1e. I guess we assumed that all of our adventures - modules or homebrew were occurring there. And over the years we've revisited Mystara for short campaigns now & then.

Dragonlance - probably somewhere about 2 years worth. We ran the original module series when they were new. Then I ran a couple month DL adventure back in 2006.

Dark Sun - about a years worth total. Back when it was new we tried it out for about a year. Then a few years back one guy ran a short DS campaign that fizzled.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Homebrew - it's not even a contest.

Next would have to be the Palladium Books universe.

After that, Ravenloft, Planescape and Spelljammer.

FR barely gets on the list, but only because of the published adventures I'd been running, and then only until recently (when my group went though a setting shift to my homebrew setting).

Nevvur

Explorer
My most used campaign setting is a homebrew world I call Sheth. My first real hand at GMing was for this old 90's D&D clone called Darkurthe Legends, which included its own campaign setting in the rule book. When I returned to gaming in January '14, I reflected on that system and setting as I prepared Sheth for a D&D 4e table. 5e came out 9 months later, so I adapted the setting to the new system, a sort of Sheth 2.0.

It's undergone additional revisions over the years. 3.0 changed the cosmology and timeline to make the existence of the gods uncertain, and to transform demihumans from god-made creatures to products of natural evolution. Still a high fantasy setting, just not with all the stock fantasy assumptions. The next few revisions were pretty minor, but added a lot of lore as I continued to flesh out specific areas of the world through game play and the contributions of players from previous campaigns.

Including the 4e version, I've started a total of 7 campaigns in this world, but 3 of them ended prematurely so I usually only say I've run 4 campaigns in it.

The only other setting I've run was when I DMd AL Expeditions season 1-3, which would be Faerun, Moonsea region.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Forgotten Realms ... but not through any dint of quality. Rather my most physical hours spent gaming were during HS and college, and we'd do 10-12-14 hour marathons every weekend, plus play some during the week. Same DM ran it all, different parties in the same setting at the same time. This was back in AD&D 2ed time period.

Then all of the FR-default gaming of the 5e hardcover adventures so it also is the most time I've spent in 5e as well.

The sad part is that I really dislike FR.

Homebrew would be the next if that's a category. If each individual homebrew campaign is split up into it's own then Dark Sun is probably next - played it when it first came out, played in in 4e. With Eberron close behind that I'd like to play more of. After that it starts getting more mixed, Mystara and the like.

BTW, I'm answering all editions of D&D even though this is the 5e forum. But I'm not talking about any other system outside D&D.

Remove ads