• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Cartoon

Deathstrike

First Post
Hi all, as you can guess from the title, this is about the D&D cartoon from back in the day. I'm obsessed with that cartoon. I don't know if it was based on 1st or 2nd ed. , but I was wondering if there were any modules based on the cartoon. The old D&D comics had cool stat blocks for NPCs and such, and I just wondered if anything official had been released as far as the cartoon was concerned. If not, would anyone be interested in a campaign based (albeit loosely) on the 27 episode cartoon?

N'raac

First Post
It was 1e - Unearthed Arcana introduced three new classes (or sub-classes), the Thief-Acrobat, Cavalier and Barbarian, all of which were in some fashion in the cartoon. The cartoon clearly did not follow the D&D rules for the characters abilities, though. If anything was published, I'm not aware of it. To say the least, the cartoon was not well received by gamers at the time. By comparison, the D&D movie a few years back was a blockbuster hit to gamers.

Sigh...the comic book guys get great movies and TV shows...

Celebrim

Legend
I have the complete boxed set of the old D&D cartoon, but I've never considered gaming it. I also use to own several of the D&D miniatures, some of whom appeared in the cartoon.

The cartoon is very poorly suited to D&D. It appears to have been loosely based on 1e AD&D, but none of the action in the stories is well suited to D&D and you'd be better off with a lighter more narrativist game engine if you want to capture the feel of the cartoons. (Now isn't that irony.)

For example, because it was a Saturday morning children's cartoon, things really are never injured or killed. They are merely stunned or knocked down. Virtually every attack the kids make is a narrated stunt of some sort with imagination highly privileged over logic or realism.

All that being said, when the cartoon came out I'd already owned the basic and expert boxed sets for a couple of years. It was I think a big influence on helping me recruit players for my first campaign, and with it's 'Star Wars cantina' feel and occasional orcs in the bar right alongside the humans, it did influence how I imagined the campaign world. And of the '80's nostalgia cartoons, it's one of the ones that has held up the best in terms of writing quality and production values.

Personally, I'd like to see the cartoon remade by the same team that did 'Avatar: The Last Airbender'. While I was disappointed by Korra (mostly because it lacked the epic scope of Aang's overarching 3 season story), I really think the basic story of orphans lost in a strange world is a strong one and deserves a full story arc. A modern cartoon with 'Previously on Dungeons and Dragons...' could overcome many of the limitations of the original cartoon. Some of the better episodes stand up so well you could polish them off and they'd play well today.

In general though, in any campaign, I'm uninterested in playing anyone else's story. If I were to run Chronicles of the Dragonlance, I'd run in with the player's invented characters, and not the stock characters of Weiss's and Hickman's imagination. Much as I admire what they did and still consider their striving for RPG as high art to be one of the highpoints of this new medium's short history, one of the best things about an RPG is you make the story your own.

Deathstrike

First Post
The first movie was better than the second, anyway. And Justin Whalin was in it. Whatever happened to him?

That being said, I agree that the cartoon isn't compatible with the game, but I persist in my madness. One issue is the magic items the characters have- they're way too powerful. The cavalier's shield, for example. It extends a field around nearby allies, and apparently it can defend against......everything.

darjr

I crit!

http://www.dungeonsdragonscartoon.com/2011/01/bci-eclipse-dvd-box-set.html?m=1

The above has this quote.

he box set also came with the Animated Series Handbook. A 28 page hardback illustrated manual designed to be compatible with the (3.5 version) Dungeons & Dragonsroleplaying game. Inside were character sheets for Hank, Diana, Eric, Presto, Sheila, Bobby, Uni, Venger and shadow demon plus an adventure called Beneath The Blade Of Sword Mountain; a prelude to the Dragon's Graveyard episode. The handbook also included the map of the Realm featured on the back of the DVD cover.

tvknight415

Explorer
The D&D cartoon wasn't very D&D, but it was fun for what it was. The only way the D&D movie is tolerable is to watch it with several friends and MST3K it.

Remove ads