D&D changes every 5 levels by design...

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Obergnom said:
it would be brilliant to have a d20 variant system that slows advancement in power without slowing level gain. A system where your 20th level character has got the power of a 10th level regular D&D character.
I'm running a campaign right now where the PCs can't have a caster level greater than half their character level. It's been pretty interesting so far!
-blarg

eyebeams

Explorer
buzz said:
Are you directing this insult at Deekin, Dancey, me, or all three? I just want to make sure I'm reading you correctly.

I'm referring to:

"You may find that your group becomes comfortable in one of those 4 quartiles, or you may find that your group enjoys the changes of pace that happen when moving from quartile to quartile."

In the spirit of that, I recommend that you're best off playing D&D as a fighter character, as a character who isn't a fighter, or a character who is a multiclass fighter, because D&D is designed to have character classes.

This is equally specific and useful advice.

Schmoe said:
Well, I'm not sure I agree with "most" people, but I definitely agree that a lot of people will be put off by a large portion of any campaign that stretchs from levels 1 to 20.
Yep. Did it once (ran the game to lvl 20 or near enough as makes no difference) and it was fun, but I don't feel the need to ever do it again. My preference is definitely for games geared to levels in single digits over their entire length. how to KEEP the PC's there for the long term without arbitrary fiat, and doing damage to the "normal" pace and level progression, there's the rub.

Stalker0

Legend
Hussar said:
In other words, if you want to keep things low key, heroic fantasy, then single digit levels will likely fit your mold rather well. Add in the odd double digit NPC and Bob's your mother's brother.

Completely agree, and its something newer DMs need to be warned about more often imo. A certain campaign style has a time limit, the party's level. Once they get to a certain point the old style adventurers are over...they are just too easy for the party. Nothing wrong with that, but its important to consider.

This is also where the xp system goes right out the window. You have to balance a party's leveling with the theme of your campaign. If you intend the whole campaign to be gritty, you need to ensure the xp per session is low and characters level slowly. This is a time where you can give them other benefits like more feats, but keep their overall power relatively weak.

William drake

First Post
1-5 are some times to rough for first time players, the fact that death is easy to catch is hard to grasp.
6-10, in a world where maybe, of a like ours, a 3bill popoulation, maybe 1mill exisit at or near this level, your pretty big and powerful.

We always counted your level into the population by adding a "0" to it so:
1- is 1'n 10
2-1'n 100
3-1'n 1,000
4-1'n 10,000
5-1'n 100,000
6-1'n 1,000,000
7-1'n 10,000,000
8-1'n 100,000,000
9-1'n 1,000,000,000
(From here on, powerful beings either leave the planet into other realites, or fall away from knowledge, or live amongst people hiding themselves.) Power corrupts, and ultimate power corrupts absolutely...many, as I see it, kill each other for more power, because, well, nothing in this system would give them more experience....they could kill half the population and not much would happen as rewards for them. Also, you got to put in ageing, natural ageing allows for most heroes to die before they reach levels beyond 7 I would say, not including the players, sinc the story is set around them. And since the game is about evil and good, good is always more powerful, but alone...so evil beings, or those who had done evil once, were usually the most powerful. (Not including other reasons, like divine influence, curses, destiny...bla.)

I like 1-10 best myself, lots of things are still dangerous.

11-15, its fun, you got legends going on around you about you.
16-20, well, the story's got to end around this time, because what can stop you.

21+, I as a Dm who's ran one game from 1st to 28, was the highest player, started wondering what was the point, armys were nothing, legions of men could be killed with any magci users will, epic fighters and barbarians mowed them down, rouges an monks never got it...even dragons at this point weren't really that scary to them, so whe nteh game ended, I said no more epic level games.

Gez

First Post
Yeah, I already noticed level 5 or 6 was a magic level for classes.

For spellcasters, third-level spells.
For fighters, two feats at once.
For all combattants, full attack becomes possible.
For all characters, +1 in each save and in BAB.
And of course, now's the time they can get a cohort with Leadership. The earliest prestige classes can be taken now or at level 7.

It's really a big boost.

Hussar

Legend
Man in the Funny Hat said:
Yep. Did it once (ran the game to lvl 20 or near enough as makes no difference) and it was fun, but I don't feel the need to ever do it again. My preference is definitely for games geared to levels in single digits over their entire length. how to KEEP the PC's there for the long term without arbitrary fiat, and doing damage to the "normal" pace and level progression, there's the rub.

Perhaps I should fork this off to a different thread, but, I wonder how long people expect a campaign to last? In real time I mean. Me, I'm pretty content if a campaign (meaning that you start with X characters in Y place and end with X characters in Z place) runs about 12-24 months. I'd get pretty bored with playing the same character for any longer than that, and, as a DM, I want to try something new.

I think that's why I've really taken a liking to the 20 level campaign modules like the AP's or World's Largest Dungeon. They should take about 2 years of real time for my group and then I'm done. Makes for a very comfortable spread for me.

Remove ads