• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Compatible Champion Class

Valiantheart

First Post
I decided I wanted to make a Champion class that is more compatible with baseline D&D and incorporate it into my world. Monte's base class is good but WAY to strong to play with standard D&D classes and I made several modifications.

Comments would be greatly welcomed as would ideas for more causes. Specifically I was thinking of writing up a "Law" cause and possible a "Peace" cause.

Champion

Champion
Level Base Attack Bonus Fortitude Save Reflex Save Will Save
Special
1 +1 +2 +1 +1 Champion Ability
2 +2 +3 +2 +2 Empower Armor
3 +3 +3 +2 +2
4 +4 +4 +2 +2 Call upon the Power
5 +5 +4 +3 +3 Champion Ability
6 +6/+1 +5 +3 +3
7 +7/+2 +5 +4 +4 Call Weapon
8 +8/+3 +6 +4 +4
9 +9/+4 +6 +4 +4 Stalwart Devotion
10 +10/+5 +7 +5 +5 Champion Ability
11 +11/+6/+1 +7 +5 +5 Empower Armor(Negate Criticals)
12 +12/+7+2 +8 +6 +6 Take on the Mantel
13 +13/+8/+3 +8 +6 +6 Call Weapon (Defender)
14 +14/+9/+4 +9 +6 +6
15 +15/+10/+5 +9 +7 +7 Champion Ability
16 +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +7 +7
17 +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +8 +8 Avatar
18 +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +8 +8 Empower Armor(Negate All Criticals)
19 +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +8 +8 Unassailable Soul
20 +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +9 +9 Champion Ability

Hit Die: 1d10

Skills
Skill Points at First Level: (2+Intelligence bonus) x 4
Class Skills: The Champion’s class skills (and the key ability for each) Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any skill, taken individually) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str).

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The champion is proficient in the use of all simple and martial weapons and Light, Medium, and Heavy Armors and shields.

Champion Ability: Champion abilities are dependent upon they cause they choose. Spell-like abilities use the Champion’s Wisdom modifier as the key ability.

Empower Armor (Sp): A 2nd-level or higher champion can empower any armor or clothing he is wearing. The armor takes on the blazing symbol of the champion’s cause and it receives a +1 enhancement bonus, plus an additional +1 enhancement bonus for every 5 level of the champions. This armor can be empowered at will for up to one minute per Champion level. Always round the time the shield is used up to the next minute. Example: Armor empowered and used for only 4 rounds still counts as one minute of the Champion’s total time that day.
Starting at 11th level, the armor negates 50 percent of the criticals the champion might suffer. From 18th level on, this critical negation percentage increases to 100%.

Call Upon the Power (Su): The 4th-level and higher champion calls to his chosen cause or devotion, drawing power from it. The champion gains a temporary +2 bonus to Strength and DR 5/magic for 3 rounds plus 1 round per Charisma bonus. The champion can do this a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom bonus. Calling on this power is a free action.

Call Weapon (Sp): A 7th-level and higher champion can summon a weapon he is proficient with, filled with the power of his chosen cause. No one can take the weapon from his against his will, although it can be dispelled. The weapon has a +1 enhancement bonus, with an additional +1 enhancement bonus per five champion levels. This weapon can be called at will for up to one minute per Champion level. If the Champion is already wielding a weapon then its abilities are suppressed by the abilities of the called weapon for the duration. Always round the time the weapon is used up to the next minute. Example: A weapon called and used for only 4 rounds still counts as one minute of the Champion’s total time that day.
Starting at 13th level, the weapon has the defending weapon special ability. (See the DMG for more on weapon abilities.)

Stalwart Devotion (Su): At 9th level the Champion becomes immune to magical fear and further provides all allies within a 20 foot radius a +1 moral bonus per Charisma bonus to any fear based saving throw.

Take on the Mantle (Su): At 12th-level and higher the champion replaces their ability to call upon the power with take on the mantle. He can infuse himself with the power of his cause and take on a whole new form. This new form resembles his normal physical form, but everyone around his intuitively knows he has become transformed. The champion speaks with a new voice of great resonance and authority and stands with greater stature and power. The new form adds a temporary +4 bonus to Strength, and Charisma, and the champion gains DR 10/magic. These powers last for 3 rounds plus 1 round per (newly modified) Charisma bonus. The champion can do this a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom bonus. Taking on the mantle is a free action.
Most champions give a name to the new form (or their reputation earns them one), such as “The Lion of Righteousness” or “The Hound of Darkness.” Others then speak of the new form as a different being: “He has become the Lion of Righteousness.”

Avatar (Su): At 17th level and higher, when the champion takes on the mantle of his cause or devotion, the temporary ability score bonus becomes +6, the DR is 10/-, and the Champions gains Fast Healing 5.

Unassailable Soul (Su): Beginning at 19th level, the champion becomes so focused toward his cause or devotion that even magic cannot stand in his way. He gains spell resistance equal to 11 + his champion level all the time.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Not bad. I like it. :) Certainly useable if you decide to toss out Paladins as a whole. Make them closer to Holy Warriors.

Valiantheart

First Post
Here is my version of a Champion of the Law. Comments please.

Law
This champion has sworn to uphold the Law. Champions of the law might be bounty hunters, devout sheriffs, criminal investigators, or militant judges. Some seek to serve the law of the land and insure the guilty are punished while others see themselves as judge, jury and executioner ready to hand down punishment as they see fit in accordance with the law. Champions are beyond bribery or reproach and because of that they are both admired and feared. Any Champion of the law who knowingly and willingly breaks the law or accepts a bribe from someone they know has broken the law immediately loses all their champion abilities until they are able to atone.
The champion of the law often wears the symbol of local authority such as a gavel or the scales of justice.

Special: The champion of the law receives Gather Information, Search, and Wilderness Lore as class skills.

1st Level – Arm of the Law (Su): The champion of law receives track as a bonus feat and receives a +4 bonus for Wilderness Lore checks when tracking a known criminal.
5th Level - Aura of Truth (Sp): The champion of law is capable of casting zone of truth once per day per two champion levels.
10th Level – The Law is Everything (Su): The champion of the law gains a +1 circumstance bonus to attack and damage rolls, saving throws, and checks against those they know (or believe) have broken the law.
15th Level - Eyes of Truth (Su): The champion of the law receives a +4 competence bonus to all Diplomacy,Spot, and Sense Motive checks.
20th Level – Word of Law (Sp): The champion is capable of casting Dictum one per day using their champion level as the caster level.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
First a comment then a critique.

Comment: I like the way you went about using this. Certainly works well.

Critique: For Eyes of Law, change Forgery to Diplomacy. Second, replace Dictum with being able to infuse their weapon with energy type instead.

Tywyll

First Post
I'm curious...

What is it about the Champion class that is WAY too strong for baseline play? I don't see your version having changed too much in the way of making them weaker. Except you gave them 2 mid saves instead of 2 good saves... a wash since its a boost and a diminish. And your shield ability negates crits at high level versus 50% to ignore for allies in 10', which I would say makes the ability more powerful since in swirling melees I tend to see parties splitting up.

However, that isn't to say I don't think some of the way you converted abilities to 3.X isn't cool. And I dig the Law champion.

Valiantheart

First Post
Tywyll said:
What is it about the Champion class that is WAY too strong for baseline play? I don't see your version having changed too much in the way of making them weaker. Except you gave them 2 mid saves instead of 2 good saves... a wash since its a boost and a diminish. And your shield ability negates crits at high level versus 50% to ignore for allies in 10', which I would say makes the ability more powerful since in swirling melees I tend to see parties splitting up.

However, that isn't to say I don't think some of the way you converted abilities to 3.X isn't cool. And I dig the Law champion.

Ah good comments. I will tell you about some of the changes I made and the rational behind them.

One of the problems i saw with the base Champion is he basically had a Barbarians rage....but better. So I went out and made several distinct changes to the champion's version of 'rage'. First I reduced the strength gain and did away with the magic reduction and constitution bonus. The magic reduction was way to good an ability to be giving a character at a moderate level. Instead I changed it to focus on keeping the champion alive and fulfilling their cause. So I gave them a weak damage reduction (magic) and at high level fast healing. The ability was also limited to one use per day but for a very long period of time. I made its use and length stat dependent.

I also removed Heartening Cry because I felt that that ability intruded to far into the domain of the bard class. I replaced it with a Paladinesque ability fear buff because this class is intended to be a Paladin alternative.

I removed Spot because I saw no reason to give a lumbering knight a good spot skill when it is so useful and a skill of few classes...and the paladin doesnt have or need it.

The other issue I had with the class is most of the abilities were useable only once per day (the sword and shield for instance). This often creates a roleplaying problem because the player will not want to 'waste' their ability if it turns out a combat is easy or there might be more difficult ones later. By changing the weapon and shield summoning ability to a certain amount of time per day I not only increase their usefulness to the player but also help to prevent one of the major weaknesses of all the melee classes and that is dependence on their magical equipment.

Another subtle change I made was to make their abilities charisma and wisdom based. The normal champion has charisma as its spell casting ability and constitution as the Su ability. It seemed to me that the Champions abilities should be based on will (wisdom) and personal power (charisma).

Although the changes might seem subtle I think the weakening I did of the Champion 'rage' goes a long way to make the class more D&D friendly.

Last edited:

Valiantheart

First Post
Here is a champion of peace. He would certainly be an interesting roleplaying option. I gave him a whopper of a 20th level ability and not exactly sure how reasonable or balanced it is. Comments or suggestions?

Peace
This champion seeks to promote peace and end violence. A champion of peace spends much of his energy on ending wars, feuds, and disputes. They seek to avoid violence when possible but when faced with no alternative they can be surprisingly deadly and dedicated combatants. Champions of peace are much sought after for their patience, wisdom, and diplomacy skills.
The champion of peace often wears the symbol of peace or tranquility such as a white dove or flower.

Special: The champion of peace is immune to any compulsion which would force him to inflict violence against his will. If compelled to do so he may ignore the order and make a new save against the spell with a +4 bonus.

1st Level – Voice of Reason (Su): The champion of peace a +4 bonus to all diplomacy checks.
5th Level - Mercy (Su): The champion of peace is capable of making all melee physical attacks do subdual damage. When attacking with only subdual damage the champion receives a +2 to hit and damage.
10th Level – Serenity (Sp): The champion of peace is capable of casting Calm Emotions once per day per two champion levels.
15th Level - Spread the Peace (Sp): The champion of peace may use the Tongues spell at will. They receive an additional +2 bonus to diplomacy and sense motive.
20th Level – Resist Violence (Su): The champion of peace may ignore the first 10 points of damage from any direct damaging spell effect, spell-like ability or breath weapon. For instance a champion could resist the first 10 points of damage from a fireball or lightning bolt cast at him but not damage causes by walking thru a wall of fire.

Tywyll

First Post
Valiantheart said:
Ah good comments. I will tell you about some of the changes I made and the rational behind them.

One of the problems i saw with the base Champion is he basically had a Barbarians rage....but better. So I went out and made several distinct changes to the champion's version of 'rage'. First I reduced the strength gain and did away with the magic reduction and constitution bonus. The magic reduction was way to good an ability to be giving a character at a moderate level. Instead I changed it to focus on keeping the champion alive and fulfilling their cause. So I gave them a weak damage reduction (magic) and at high level fast healing. The ability was also limited to one use per day but for a very long period of time. I made its use and length stat dependent.

I don't know what you mean by magic reduction. Do you mean DR? I think you are forgetting that their DR goes away in the face of most weapons they'd be facing by the time they get it (thank god for 3.5's DR rules).

Valiantheart said:
I also removed Heartening Cry because I felt that that ability intruded to far into the domain of the bard class. I replaced it with a Paladinesque ability fear buff because this class is intended to be a Paladin alternative.

I don't understand why that would be a problem. champion's are leader's of a people and a cause. They are far more general's on the field types then they are lone-crusader types. At least that is my opinion. I think Heartening Cry really fits for lots of the various Champions (racial, location, etc).

Valiantheart said:
I removed Spot because I saw no reason to give a lumbering knight a good spot skill when it is so useful and a skill of few classes...and the paladin doesnt have or need it.

Just cause they use heavy armor doesn't make them Lumbering. I would imagine a racial champion on the elves or a champion of freedom being far from lumbering. Also, when you uphold a cause, you must be vigilent and observant. A defender of a place or person cannot adequately perform that function if they can't see what's going on around them.

Valiantheart said:
The other issue I had with the class is most of the abilities were useable only once per day (the sword and shield for instance).

Amen brother... couldn't agree more.

Valiantheart said:
Another subtle change I made was to make their abilities charisma and wisdom based. The normal champion has charisma as its spell casting ability and constitution as the Su ability. It seemed to me that the Champions abilities should be based on will (wisdom) and personal power (charisma).

Um.... Champions don't have spell casting ability. I don't know what you are talking about.

See that is my biggest concern is with nerfing the their 'rage'. Since they lack boosts and buffs of the Paladin, and their healing, and their Divine Grace (an absolute game breaker at high levels), I think they need the strength of the original buffs. Otherwise, a Champion and a Paladin in a group together, the Paladin will outshine the Champion in general use and utility.

Remove ads