D&D 3E/3.5 D&D Core 3.5/3.75 Homebrew Remake (with ideas from SWRPG SE, 4e and Pathfinder)

Gandhi39

First Post
03. Classes - 08 - Ranger

RANGER

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: 6.

Class Save Bonuses: +2 Fort, +1 Refl, +0 Will.

Ranger Class Skills: Animal Handling, Athletics, Crafts, Knowledge (civilizations), Knowledge (mystical), Knowledge (wilderness), Linguistics, Outliving, Perception, Ride and Stealth.

Skill Training Feats: Skill Training (Athletics), Skill Training (Outliving), Skill Training (Perception), Skill Training (Ride), Skill Training (Stealth).

Proficiency Feats: Weapon Proficiency (simple), Weapon Proficiency (martial), Armor Proficiency (light), Shield Proficiency, Weapon Finesse.

Code:
Table: The Ranger
Level	BAB		Special									AC Bonus
1st	+1		Track, wilderness understanding						+0
2nd	+2		Attack rolls insight bonus (+1)			Terrain mastery (1)	+0
3rd	+3		Weapon damage rolls insight bonus (+2)					+1
4th	+4		Treat Injuries, endurance			Terrain mastery (2)	+1
5th	+5		Attack rolls insight bonus (+2)						+1
6th	+6/+1		Trailblazing, woodland stride			Terrain mastery (3)	+2
7th	+7/+2		Sneak attack (+1d6)							+2
8th	+8/+3		Weapon damage rolls insight bonus (+4)		Terrain mastery (4)	+2
9th	+9/+4		DR 1/-, unarmored training						+3
10th	+10/+5		Attack rolls insight bonus (+3)			Terrain mastery (5)	+3
11th	+11/+6/+1	Swift tracker, neutralize poison					+3
12th	+12/+7/+2	Sneak attack (+2d6), ranged sneaking +30ft	Terrain mastery (6)	+4
13th	+13/+8/+3	Weapon damage rolls insight bonus (+6)					+4
14th	+14/+9/+4	DR 2/-						Terrain mastery (7)	+4
15th	+15/+10/+5	Attack rolls insight bonus (+4)						+5
16th	+16/+11/+6/+1	Trackless step, remove disease			Terrain mastery (8)	+5
17th	+17/+12/+7/+2	Sneak attack (+3d6), ranged sneaking +30ft				+5
18th	+18/+13/+8/+3	Weapon damage rolls insight bonus (+8)		Terrain mastery (All)	+6
19th	+19/+14/+9/+4	DR 3/-									+6
20th	+20/+15/+10/+5	Attack rolls insight bonus (+5)						+6

Class Features

Other Proficiencies: None.

AC Bonus (Ex): When not using a shield of any kind, not using a weapon on his off-hand and also not using a melee weapon two-handed, a ranger gains a dodge bonus to Armor Class as indicated on Table: The Ranger. He still gains the bonus when using a ranged weapon with both hands (as long as he is not using a buckler). The ranger loses this bonus if he uses a natural weapon from his off-hand’s arm.

Track: A ranger gains Track as a bonus feat.

Wilderness Understanding (Ex): Rangers add half their class level as a competence bonus to Animal Handling, Knowledge (wilderness) and Outliving checks. Druid class levels stack with Ranger class levels for this ability.

Terrain Mastery (Ex): As rangers travel, they gain special training related to their knowledge of the various terrain types. At levels 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th and 16th they add a terrain environment to their repertoire from those given below. At 18th level they are considered to have mastery on any terrain, including other planes. Terrain mastery gives a ranger a bonus on checks involving a skill useful in that terrain, or some other appropriate benefit. A ranger also gains a +2 insight bonus on skill checks against all creatures with a terrain mentioned in the Environment entry of their descriptions (see the Monster Manual) for which the ranger has terrain mastery. Each new creature or character made by the DM should have an especified terrain from those below. For this purpose, consider humans to be from plains and half-breeds to be from their non-human parent’s environment. Rangers take their terrain mastery with them wherever they go. They retain their terrain mastery bonuses whether they’re actually in the relevant terrain or not. For example, a ranger who has selected desert terrain mastery is immune to fatigue even if he’s underground, in the mountains, or in a city.

-Aquatic: You are naturally at home in the water. You gain a 20ft swim speed (or improve yours by +10ft).

-Desert: You have endured where others perish, so you’re good at conserving your body’s resources. You resist effects that tire you. Any effect that would cause you to become exhausted makes you fatigued instead. Any other effects that would cause you to become fatigued is ignored instead.

-Forest: Your time among the trees has improved your senses. You gain low-light vision, or now see four times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination if you already had low-light vision.

-Hills: Your time on the hills has improved your eyes and ears. You gain a +4 competence bonus on Perception checks.

-Marsh: You have learned to be quieter than the whispering rushes. You gain a +4 competence bonus on Stealth checks.

-Mountains: You naturally cling to surfaces others fall from. You gain a 10ft climb speed (or improve yours by +10ft).

-Plains: The wide-open surface of the plains has sharpened your senses. You gain Tremorsense 30ft (or improve yours by +30ft).

-Underground: You have adapted to your time in the dark. You gain 60ft darkvision (or improve yours by +60ft).

Attack Rolls Insight Bonus (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, rangers gain a +1 competence bonus to all attack rolls. This bonus increases by +1 at levels 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th. This insight bonus stacks with insight bonuses gained from a rogue’s Sneak Attack ability.

Weapon Damage Rolls Insight Bonus (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, rangers gain a +2 insight bonus to damage rolls with all weapons (manufactured or natural, including unarmed strikes). This bonus increases by +2 at levels 8th, 13th and 18th. This insight bonus stacks with insight bonuses gained from a rogue’s Sneak Attack ability.

Treat Injuries (Ex): Beginning at 4th level, the ranger can heal a number of hit points equal to twice his ranger level. He can use this ability a number of times per day equal to half his ranger level. This ability takes 1 minute to be completed and may be used on himself or a chosen ally.
Endurance: A ranger gains Endurance as a bonus feat at 4th level.

Trailblazing (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, the ranger becomes particularly skilled at finding the best route through unfamiliar or obstructed areas. When traveling in poor conditions or difficult terrain, the ranger may make a Survival subskill check to reduce travel time. With a check result of 15 or better, the ranger reduces the total travel time by 25%. With a 25 or better, the time is reduced by 50%. The ranger can guide a group with up to four extra individuals at no penalty. However, for each additional individual in the group being guided, apply a -1 penalty to the trailblazing check. The scout can take 10 on this check, but he can't take 20. This ability does not apply to tactical movement or local movement.

Woodland Stride (Ex): Starting at 6th level, a ranger may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion still affect him.

Sneak Attack: Starting at 7th level, by means of the Sneak Attack ability ranger can strike vital spots for extra damage. At 7th level, the ranger’s attack deals 1d6 extra damage on all weapon damage rolls. This extra damage is increased to 2d6 at 12th and 3d6 at 17th level. Should the ranger score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. The ranger must be able to see the target to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. Oozes, Elementals and Incorporeal creatures are immune to the extra damage from a Sneak Attack. When using a ranged attack, Sneak Attack applies only if the target is within 30 feet. With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage (like a sap, whip, or an unarmed strike), a ranger can make a Sneak Attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty. This ability stacks with the Sneak Attack ability gained by rogues.

Unarmored Training (Ex): Beginning at 9th level, when not using any armor or shield, a ranger gains a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class. This ability does not stack with Unarmored Training abilities gained by other classes.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 9th level, the ranger gains Damage Reduction. Subtract 1 from the damage the barbarian takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon (manufactured or a natural, including unarmed strikes). Energy damage (such as that from the flaming ability) is not reduced by damage reduction. The damage reduction raises by 1 point at levels 14th and 19th. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

Swift Tracker (Ex): Beginning at 11th level, a ranger can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal –5 penalty. He takes only a –10 penalty (instead of the normal –20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.

Neutralize poison (Sp): Beginning at 11th level, in place of a use of the treat
wounds ability, the ranger can instead use the neutralize poison spell as a spell-like ability 3 times per day as druid with a caster level equal to his ranger level.

Ranged Sneaking (Ex): Beginning at 12th level, ranged attacks can now count as sneak attacks if the target is within a maximum of 30ft more. This increases by +30ft at level 17th. This stacks with the rogue’s Ranged Sneaking.

Trackless Step (Ex): Starting at 16th level, a ranger leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. He may choose to leave a trail if so desired.

Remove Disease (Sp): Beginning at 16th level, in place of a use of the treat wounds ability, the ranger can instead use the remove disease spell as a spell-like ability 3 times per day as a druid with a caster level equal to his ranger level.

Last edited:

Gandhi39

First Post
03. Classes - 09 - Rogue

ROGUE

Alignment: Any.

HP/Level: 6.

Class Save Bonuses: +1 Fort, +2 Refl, +0 Will.

Rogue Class Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Crafts, Knowledge (civilizations), Knowledge (mystical), Linguistics, Perception, Performance, Persuasion, Ride, Stealth and Thievery.

Skill Training Feats: Skill Training (Acrobatics), Skill Training (Athletics), Skill Training (Perception), Skill Training (Performance), Skill Training (Stealth), Skill Training (Thievery).

Proficiency Feats: Weapon Proficiency (simple), Armor Proficiency (light), Weapon Finesse.

Code:
Table: The Rogue
Level	BAB		Special							AC Bonus
1st	+1		Bonus feat, rogue training				+0
2nd	+2		Sneak attack (+1d6)					+0
3rd	+3		Trap sense +1, bonus feat				+1
4th	+4		Sneak attack (+1 insight bonus), uncanny dodge		+1
5th	+5		Trap sense +2, evasion					+1
6th	+6/+1		Sneak attack (+2d6)					+2
7th	+7/+2		Trap sense +3, bonus feat				+2
8th	+8/+3		Sneak attack (+2 insight bonus), ranged sneaking +30ft	+2
9th	+9/+4		Trap sense +4, unarmored training			+3
10th	+10/+5		Sneak attack (+3d6)					+3
11th	+11/+6/+1	Trap sense +5, opportunist				+3
12th	+12/+7/+2	Sneak attack (+3 insight bonus), ranged sneaking +60ft	+4
13th	+13/+8/+3	Trap sense +6, fast stealth				+4
14th	+14/+9/+4	Sneak attack (+4d6)					+4
15th	+15/+10/+5	Trap sense +7, improved evasion				+5
16th	+16/+11/+6/+1	Sneak attack (+4 insight bonus), ranged sneaking +90ft	+5
17th	+17/+12/+7/+2	Trap sense +8, trap spotter				+5
18th	+18/+13/+8/+3	Sneak attack (+5d6)					+6
19th	+19/+14/+9/+4	Trap sense +9, hide in plain sight			+6
20th	+20/+15/+10/+5	Sneak attack (+5 insight bonus), ranged sneaking +120ft	+6

Class Features

Other Proficiencies: Rogues are also proficient with the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword.

AC Bonus (Ex): When not using a shield of any kind, not using a weapon on his off-hand and also not using a melee weapon two-handed, a rogue gains a dodge bonus to Armor Class as indicated on Table: The Rogue. He still gains the bonus when using a ranged weapon with both hands (as long as he is not using a buckler). The rogue loses this bonus if he uses a natural weapon from his off-hand’s arm.

Bonus Feat: rogues gain a bonus feat at levels 1st, 3rd, 7th, and 9th.

Rogue Training (Ex): Rogues add half their rogue level as a competence bonus to Stealth and Thievery checks.

Sneak Attack: Starting at 2nd level, by means of the Sneak Attack ability rogues can strike vital spots for extra damage. At 2nd level, the rogue’s attack deals 1d6 extra damage on all weapon damage rolls. This extra damage is increased by 1d6 every four rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. The rogue must be able to see the target to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. Oozes, Elementals and Incorporeal creatures are immune to the extra damage from a Sneak Attack. When using a ranged attack, Sneak Attack applies only if the target is within 30 feet. With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage (like a sap, whip, or an unarmed strike), a rogue can make a Sneak Attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty. Beginning at 4th level, the rogue also gets a +1 insight bonus on attack rolls and weapon damage rolls for all sneak attacks, increased by +1 every four levels thereafter, even if against a creature imune to the extra d6s. This ability stacks with the Sneak Attack ability gained by rangers.

Trap Sense (Ex): At 3rd level, a rogue gains an intuitive sense that alerts him to danger from traps, giving her a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise by +1 every two levels thereafter.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a rogue can react to danger before her senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Evasion (Ex): At 5th level and higher, a rogue can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Ranged Sneaking (Ex): Beginning at 8th level, ranged attacks can now count as sneak attacks if the target is within a maximum of 30ft more. This increases by +30ft at levels 12th, 16th and 20th. This stacks with the ranger’s Ranged Sneaking.

Unarmored Training (Ex): Beginning at 9th level, when not using any armor or shield, a rogue gains a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class. This ability does not stack with Unarmored Training abilities gained by other classes.

Opportunist (Ex): Beginning at 11th level, once per round, the rogue can make a melee attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. This attack counts as the rogue’s attack of opportunity for that round. Even a rogue with the Combat Reflexes feat can’t use the opportunist ability more than once per round.

Fast Stealth (Ex): Beginning at 13th level, this ability allows a rogue to move at full speed using the Stealth skill without penalty.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 15th level, a rougue’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless rougue does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Trap Spotter (Ex): Beginning at 17th level, whenever a rogue with this talent comes within 10 feet of a trap, he receives an immediate Perception skill check to notice the trap. This check should be made in secret by the GM.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): In any sort of terrain, a rogue of 19th level or higher can use the Stealth skill even while being observed.

Last edited:

Sylviirmaen

First Post
dude, i have to say that you are a gamer after my own heart. i have still yet read the whole thing but what i did read was absolutely awesome and i would most definitely like to have a copy of your home brew house rules.

nonsi256

Explorer
Dude, no offense, but you’ve got it all wrong.
I’m putting aside personal preference of style for now and focusing purely on mechanical effectiveness.

Take it from one of the more veteran homebrewers out there (I’ve been D&D-ing since the late 80s and homebrewing since the early 90s, btw).
And it’s not just my opinion, but things I’ve picked up from the best char-optimizers in the more popular RPG boards and a lot of DMs and players with even a longer gaming mileage than myself.

I’d like to start by stating what’s obvious to many: the core trio (books) holds the most broken stuff out there (e.g. Forcecage and Gate spells).
Another important insight is that there’s no way on earth you can apply so many changes in a matter of days and have a prayer of reaching a balanced and fun to play result.

You don’t make the game more fun by pumping stats or increasing dice-rolling.
As levels go up, those few plusses to hit/damage/AC are barely significant and there are just too many dice rolling around that really slows the game down to a crawl.

You also fail to see the real cause of the huge gap between melees and full-casters:
1. Action Economy abuse.
2. Options – you actually narrowed them down for most melees – namely Barbarian, Monk, Paladin, Ranger and Rogue (explanation: flat stat-bonuses are not options).

Feats:
Giving more feats to the melees is nice.
Giving more to spellcasters means soooo many more options and more abuse of the action economy.

You pumped up the big trio even further and added the Bard to the group by making it a Bard – Sublime Chord mesh (which totally misses the point of “jack of all trades, master of none”).

Some of the class abilities you presented are totally insignificant compared to others (e.g. Enhanced Weapon, Unarmored Training and Arcane Bolt).

Resting to recharge magical items – this makes absolutely no sense and is counterproductive (the “go NOVA and go to bed” syndrome is already a problem without this change).

I’d tell you to go and take a peek at my houserules, but I guess I already got you too antagonized to even suggest you draw ideas from them, so I’ll just point you to a short summary of what’s in them and the motivations behind the changes I introduced (to be contributive, house rules should have motivations other than just "I feel like having them that way").
Details regarding the base/prestige classes I created are not in there, so I’ll just say that the main guideline for me was _ options _ – lots and lots of options for practically any single/multi class build a player could possibly think of (unless one intentionally shoot himself in the leg) and significantly narrowing the gap (power-wise AND option-wise) between them.

Gandhi39

First Post
Dude, no offense, but you’ve got it all wrong.

Thank you for the reply, but man, I think you also get many things wrong.

I have read through most of your work (as much as I could before it would make me sleep). Let me tell you one thing: simple is better. I think you complicate things WAY TOO MUCH (too many house rules).

I can understand the reason for most of them (specially regarding to Dex being more appropriate to hit stuff, Wisdom not being the same as perception and the :):):):)ing vancian spellcasting), but you made too many changes, taking too much work to implement. You will see that my house-rules are short and simple. The most extended part in my work is only the re-writing of each class.

What :):):):)s my games in 3.5?
1. The rogue sucks when you have a dungeon full of undead and golems, with no locks or traps, and dies way too easy when taking a disintegrate.
2. The wizard sucks at the first levels (their players get bored).
3. The wizard does a lot more damage after around 13th level, and warriors become only a shield (their players get bored).
4. Over optimized (many classes and subclasses) characters vs beginner’s characters.
5. Slow character creation (specially skill calculations).

What did I do when working out my rules was this:
1. First of all I kicked off any non-core books (too simplify stuff as much as possible).
2. I made the rogue better at more combat situations.
3. I put my warrior classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger and Rogue) side by side at each level, creating characters and putting them to fight against each other. I believe their combat power is now pretty close.
4. I put the gish classes (Bard, Cleric and Druid) to fight against the warriors and made sure their raw combat power was somewhat lower (including Divine Favor, Divine Power, Righteous Might and Wild Shape).
5. I made sure all classes got some good stuff as would a character over optimized with prestige classes from many books.

About magic power:
1. I made the saves for each class better (nerfs “save vs” spells).
2. I nerfed instant death effects.
3. I kicked off spells from other books (that gave spellcasters too many options).
4. I still believe spellcasters should be the most resourceful classes (so I left them the PHB spells of course).

More simplifying:
1. HP/level.
2. Saves.
3. Skills (especially skill training and number of different skills).
4. Multiclassing.
5. NO PRESTIGE CLASSES.

I think the bard is like a troubadour spell-casting warrior and not necessarily a jack-of-all-trades. I don’t need any samurai, ninja or psionic stuff in my games.

Things that still need improvement:
1. More different feats for warriors (to give them more options, as you say)
2. Work around some unbalanced spells.
3. Playtest.

You can find my latest updates at http://docs.thinkfree.com/portfolio/view.php?psn=1751
They have changed a bit since may.

Last edited:

nonsi256

Explorer
>> simple is better (I think you complicate things WAY TOO MUCH (too many house rules).)
Why did I “complicate” things . . .
Every time you ask yourself “what do I do now? The rules don’t cover this issue”, you’re wasting time.
Every time you twiddle your thumbs because the rules don’t provide you with options, you’re wasting time.
Every time a player is not content with the rules (and expresses it), you’re wasting time arguing.
Tracking spell slots and re-editing spell-lists wastes time.
Over-dice-rolling wastes time.
Too many fatalities and near-fatalities waste time (lots and lots of time).
Struggling against the core rules to manage your character concept wastes time.
The need for optimizing wastes time.
etc, etc, etc.
This discussion is about your HR, so I won’t get into specifics about how mine deal with the above (but they most certainly do).

>> you made too many changes, taking too much work to implement.
You’ll be surprised how well organized my document is. It was designed to be very easy to navigate and to remember where everything is, and for the few times when one forgets where a topic is handled (something that for me doesn’t happen on a weekly basis) – one can always search the page source.

>> You will see that my house-rules are short and simple. The most extended part in my work is only the re-writing of each class.
Shorter than mine, yes, but I find them less organized and less formatted.

>> What ####s my games in 3.5?
>> 1. The rogue sucks when you have a dungeon full of undead and golems, with no locks or traps, and dies way too easy when taking a disintegrate.
Here’s where you banning non-core material goes against you: Dungeonscape has an ACF for that.

>> 2. The wizard sucks at the first levels (their players get bored).
I played a low level Beguiler using nothing but spells during encounters and was kicked out of that certain group for being too dominant (SoS and battlefield control all the way baby).

>> 3. The wizard does a lot more damage after around 13th level, and warriors become only a shield (their players get bored).
Try 8th. And damage spells are usually the worst strategy for full casters.

>> 4. Over optimized (many classes and subclasses) characters vs beginner’s characters.
Which was a major consideration in the way I designed my classes.

>> 5. Slow character creation (specially skill calculations).
Since the issue is your HR, I’ll just state my opinion that character creation is something one can do at home and not at the expense of getting together for the actual game time. Once people get together – that’s when the game should be rigged to be as flowing as possible.

>> What did I do when working out my rules was this:
>> 1. First of all I kicked off any non-core books (too simplify stuff as much as possible).
What’s wrong with the Beguiler, Dread Necro, Duskblade, Wildshape Varient Ranger or Warlock? What do they bring to the gaming table that’s more broken than the grisly trio ?
What’s not right with skill-tricks ?
What’s wrong with all the utility spells out there ?
Instead of banning PrCs altogether, you could say that a PrC can only advance features of base classes (that way, you won't have to deal with stuff like Wizard 10/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8, or crazy gish builds).

>> 2. I made the rogue better at more combat situations.
And you took out the special abilities (no more Slippery Mind vs Will based effects), pushed Evasion to higher levels and omitted IUD.

>> 3. I put my warrior classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger and Rogue)
>> side by side at each level, creating characters and putting them to fight against each
>> other. I believe their combat power is now pretty close.
And now they can attack it, attack it and attack it some more. Wonderful (I roll to hit. I hit (dmg), I roll to hit. I miss. I roll to hit… aint life wonderful?)

>> 4. I put the gish classes (Bard, Cleric and Druid) to fight against the warriors and made
>> sure their raw combat power was somewhat lower (including Divine Favor, Divine Power,
>> Righteous Might and Wild Shape).
1. Making CODZilla gishes was one of the biggest mistakes of 3e’s designers. Even with poor BAB they’re tier-1. Divine Power is nothing more than adding insult to injury. Combined with Cause [X] wounds, it makes the Cleric a better fighter that the Fighter more often than not. Same goes for Wild Shape with avg BAB. And let’s not forget full spellcasting with Natural Spell. And like that’s not enough, you add an almost equally powerful companion.
2. PvP is not a contributive way of assessing the fun factor of a given class. In straight melee no one should be able to stand toe to toe with a fighter of equal level (otherwise, what’s the point of being a Fighter?). A class should offer other stuff beyond combat applications (and the tier-1 & tier-2 classes have a lot of stuff a straight combatant can only dream of at that department – and so do skillmonkeys (which are not so much skillmonkey-ish in your system anymore) and strikers).

>> 5. I made sure all classes got some good stuff as would a character over optimized with prestige classes from many books.
In effect, many of your classes lost options from here to Timbuktu.

>> About magic power:
>> 1. I made the saves for each class better (nerfs “save vs” spells).
>> 2. I nerfed instant death effects.
Not enough. Not nearly enough (scry & die, polymorph, battlefield control, crowd control, no-save-endgamers, weaponlike spells – all these issues require attention).

>> 3. I kicked off spells from other books (that gave spellcasters too many options).
>> 4. I still believe spellcasters should be the most resourceful classes (so I left them the PHB spells of course).
The core spells still trump the brokenness competition easily.

>> More simplifying:
>> 1. HP/level.
>>2. Saves.
I saw no title that covers HP or Saves changes in an orderly fashion.

>> 3. Skills (especially skill training and number of different skills).
Meaning that in your campaign, everybody’s an accomplished tumbler and lockpicker, even if “only” as CC skill.
Reliability is an important factor for game seriousness – one that this rule tosses out the window.

>> 4. Multiclassing.
1. And what if thematically speaking people are tired of the same 10 base classes and envision roles that are significantly different ?
2. There’s no a significant difference between your Monk and Your Rogue, your Monk has been severely crippled and your Paladin is basically a very nerfed version of your Cleric.

>> 5. NO PRESTIGE CLASSES.
now there’s an issue of real debate.
PrCs are one of the best ideas in 3e, but yet are probably the worst execution. When they clearly offer major bonuses with negligible offsetting penalties, one has to be brain dead on to PrC.

>> I think the bard is like a troubadour spell-casting warrior and not necessarily a jack-of-all-trades.
Ok, my bad on the personal preference issue here, but did you notice that all your spellcasters are full spellcasters?

>> I don’t need any samurai, ninja or psionic stuff in my games.
Sure you don’t. The classes were shamefully executed and psionics is just another way of saying “spells”.

>> Things that still need improvement:
>> 1. More different feats for warriors (to give them more options, as you say)
Martial feats cannot possibly rival spells or spellcasting feats.

>> 2. Work around some unbalanced spells.
It’s gonna be a long “day”.

>> 3. Playtest.
Again, no offense, but if you and your group do find your proposed changes an improvement, then you haven’t experienced 1% of what the game is all about (and believe me, my only intention is to be contributive).

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
I think you've both got each other pegged.

Gandhi39's rules are on a solid footing IMO, but he absolutely does give too much love to the core spellcasters. Gandhi understands simple and he gets simple right, and his spell revisions indicate that he understands much of the balance problem lies in the fact that spells tend to be better than feats (and much much better than skills). But even so, there is pretty much no reason not to play the all spellcaster party under these rules. In a fixed version of the rules, Druid, Cleric, and Wizard must on the net be weaker than the Core versions - not stronger. They cannot be stronger than the Core versions and hope to have a balanced or even interesting game. You cannot achieve greater parity between spellcasters and non-casters by focusing on combat alone, because its always been out of combat that is most marked by 'sucks to be a non-spellcaster'. The fact that the spellcasters also more powerful in combat situations is just insult to the injury.

Your feats in particular show poor analysis. For crying out load, at the very least all of those '+2 to two skills' feats should be written up under the same entry. Simplify.

More importantly, if you take the PrC's and odd 'base' classes out of the game - which you absolutely should - you have to still leave in the rules the means to (as one of my players put it) "you don't take a PrC, you become a PrC". The means by which you do that is feats. Virtually anything that is a class ability can be treated as a feat. And you need to analyze feats in terms of spells, both in terms of power and in terms of the diversity of advantages available through their selection. That isn't to say you should turn feats into spells, or that you should be able to do everything with a feat (or skill) you can do with a spell but that should be your guiding philosophy.

I'm not going to suggest 'Just use my house rules.' First, because I've never posted significant excerpts from them and don't at present intend to, and secondly because admittedly most of my house rules are just personal preferences (right down to the races and the classes) designed to emulate my own particular vision of a fantasy world. Alot of what I do won't work for everyone (for example, 'Barbarian', 'Ranger', 'Paladin', 'Monk', and 'Druid' don't even exist as classes in my game, which isn't however to say you couldn't play one), and I'm frankly uninterested in how the game plays much above 15th level or so as I know I'm unlikely to ever take my game there (which isn't to say I've ignored it completely).

However, I'd like to give you three suggestions:

1) Don't add the spell level to the DC of resisting a spell. (By extension of this rule, don't add the HD modifier to the saves of natural attacks of monsters.)
2) Don't allow combat casting at all.
3) Don't allow a character to take a 5' step out of a threat zone without provoking an AoO, unless the opponent remains in the threat zone of the character after the attack.

These by no means on their own fix the spellcaster vs. non-spellcaster problem, but are simple ways of dealing with some of the worst issues, namely, that as levels increase the chance of making a save tends to actually go down (especially without optimal magical defenses) and that spellcasters of sufficient level can basically ignore the supposed drawbacks of casting a spell in combat. The goal of the above changes is to force a spell-caster to hide behind a 'meat wall' or die.

Gandhi39

First Post
Hello, Celebrim. Thanks for the post.

You can be sure that the spellcaster vs melee is a great concern for me and I already messed with the saves on another way. I think I need a little more playtest before applying more changes. If the spellcasters are still too strong, maybe I'll mess with Combat Casting and 5' steps. It's something to think about.

I know my spellcasters are better than core, but kind of similar to optimized (multi-books) spellcasters. I want to see how they go as that.

In my groups at least, the melee don't get upset to see the spellcasters teleport, fly, become invisible, dominate and other stuff. They get upset when they feel themselves as simple coadjuvants in enemy killing. That is my greatest concern for starts.

I tried to give melees a bit more than just attacks vs AC with "commander aura", "threatening presence", "paladin auras" an other stuff. I really hope to be able to give them some more via feats in the future.

I tried somehow to make it possible to not necessarilly need to have a cleric and a rogue in the party.

I now updated the Feats section. I confess it was actually hard to read through, as some parts still are (like Combat, Spells and Magic Items).

Celebrim

Legend
Quick comment. As long as you are giving out eschew materials to everyone early in thier career, why don't you just simplify and remove material components that don't have a significant monetary cost?

Remove ads