• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D CRPGS & You!

rubarbrubarb

First Post
Heyya.
So I've played Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate. Both of them have satisfied a certain D&D/storytelling itch.
I'm wondering, is there anything out there you've played that's like them? I've got a void to fill.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
A spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment is out with Cypher system (Monte Cook) rules, called Torment: Tides of Numenera.

While not D&D rules, I strongly recommend Pillars of Eternity. (Yes, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire just came out. The first one is really good and worth playing first, then try the second one. I'm still playing the second one and found the first plot more compelling, but that may change as I get deeper.)

If you like the turn-based, party-based isometric but are open to other genres, XCom: Enemy Within and XCom 2 are good.

If you want a party-based game dungeon delve with a different kind of plot but a whole stable of characters and psychological aspects of running adventures, Darkest Dungeon is an interesting take with a different feel.

Blue

BTW, in the same ida as the two Balder's Gate's games was Icewind Dale. Same basic idea, you know what you are getting into.

Oh, and if you haven't played them yet, the old Dragon Age games and Mass Effect games. Which as first-person and not turn-based. It's three person teams and you only have full control over yourself in terms of both build and actions - you level up the others and cangive orders, but not

Dragon Age: Origins had a lot of replay value but it's a bit dated. DA2 was a much smaller scope which made people not like it as much, but I loved Varrick and the other NPCs. Dragon Age: Inquisition suffered from too much to do that it felt like nothing but sidequests. It was the most mature of them, and had some great NPCs. My advice if you play is not to spend too much time in the opening area - it's got trillions of sidequests that you will keep discovering and you'll be doing those instead of plot-relevant and interesting quests. Not that there isn't relevant ones there, just don't fall down the completionist rabbit hole.

MA2 was my favorite of them, but do them in order and import your saves. I enjoyed the fourth Mass Effect, ME: Andromeda up to a point, but never finished it. But it's a whole separated plot line then the first three.

The DAs are on sale right now on Origin. The MEs go on sale frequently on Steam and Origin.

MarkB

Legend
I'd strongly recommend Divinity Original Sin and its sequel. Good games with great, fully voiced characters and some interesting combat mechanics. You can play them solo perfectly well, but they also strongly support co-op play.

Mad_Jack

Legend
The Temple of Elemental Evil?

Neverwinter Nights plays a lot differently, but there's a huge amount of really good fan-created content out there and a still-somewhat-thriving community, even today.

Dragon Age Origins is basically Baldurs Gate in disguise, and in a different setting. It plays very similarly too, with the option to pause the action as you hand commands to your party. They even throw in references to Baldursgate 2!

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I'll second Torment: Tides of Numenera, Icewind Dale, Divinity: Original Sin, and Pillars of Eternity. You might also look at Tyranny. Good Old Games frequently recommends games in the Baldur's Gate mode to me and many of them have been quite good.

If you're interested in a shift of genre, I've also enjoyed Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns. Most of these games I haven't finished. Frankly, having finished Pillars of Eternity, I can't decide which one to play through next. It's a wealth of opportunity.

Blue

Heyya.
So I've played Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate. Both of them have satisfied a certain D&D/storytelling itch.
I'm wondering, is there anything out there you've played that's like them? I've got a void to fill.

Pillars of Eternity, Pillars of Eternity II, and a bundle with both and all the DLCs are on sale on Steam right now thru July 5th.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads