D&D DICEMASTERS (Collectible Dice Building Game)

Coming in February is a new dice building game with a D&D theme. "Battle for Faerûn brings Dice Masters Collectible Dice Building game to the tabletop with this all-new head-to-head competitive game set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe! Battle for Faerûn is the first set in the Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters Line! Prepare to defeat the opposing warlord with dragons, mind flayers, beholders, kobolds, stirges, and adventurers!"

Coming in February is a new dice building game with a D&D theme. "Battle for Faerûn brings Dice Masters Collectible Dice Building game to the tabletop with this all-new head-to-head competitive game set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe! Battle for Faerûn is the first set in the Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters Line! Prepare to defeat the opposing warlord with dragons, mind flayers, beholders, kobolds, stirges, and adventurers!"

DnDComponents.jpg

The starter set comes with 44 dice, 38 cards, a couple of dicebags, and a rulebook and will set you back $19.99. There's also a free bonus Minsc & Boo promo card with the starter set, though only while stocks last. You can also buy "foil packs" which contain two dice and two cards for $0.99.

71788_Battle-of-Faerun-Gravity-Feed31-300x300.jpg
minsc-and-boo-300x300.jpg

For those in the thread who aren't aware, the difference between this and TSR's "Dragon Dice"* is that this game system ("Dicemasters") is an already-established system published by WizKids and well-supported by other franchises including X-Men, the Avengers, DC Superheroes, and Yugioh. WotC likely doesn't have much to lose on a product like this, because it's just a branded product produced by another company under license.

EDIT: And for those who aren't aware of "Dragon Dice", it was a collectible dice game produced by TSR in the 1990s, and (IIRC) was ultimately considered a major financial flop that contributed to the insolvency of that company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinak

First Post
It's cool that they're getting their licensed products rolling out :)

That said, this one isn't for me, based on the X-Men version. I like card games and I like dice game. I even like deck-building games where other game pieces are used so you don't have to shuffle all the time.

I'm just spoiled by card games where the rules are on the card. I don't want to be consulting a reference card constantly (especially if they keep having multiple cards for the same die type). The double-randomness of what you draw and what you roll is also a major turn-off.

delericho

Legend
For those in the thread who aren't aware, the difference between this and TSR's "Dragon Dice"* is that this game system ("Dicemasters") is an already-established system published by WizKids and well-supported by other franchises including X-Men, the Avengers, DC Superheroes, and Yugioh. WotC likely doesn't have much to lose on a product like this, because it's just a branded product produced by another company under license.

That is indeed a pretty fundamental difference, and one I had been unaware of.

EDIT: And for those who aren't aware of "Dragon Dice", it was a collectible dice game produced by TSR in the 1990s, and (IIRC) was ultimately considered a major financial flop that contributed to the insolvency of that company.

Yep. Dragon Dice was a fad, and the bottom dropped out of the fad just after TSR had placed a massive order for the components (that they then couldn't sell). It probably wouldn't have done the job by itself, but it was one of several elements of the perfect storm that sank that company.

Agamon

Adventurer
Dicemasters is not Dragon Dice. That's like seeing the the 5e books on the shelf and saying, "Great, another F.A.T.A.L." The Marvel game is very highly thought of, it's a far superior game to even Quarriors!, the game it's based off of.

This is just like Attack Wing, a D&D spin-off of another popular game. Neither are really my cup of tea (I don't like collectable anything, even if the Dicemasters packs are pretty inexpensive), but they are popular among the board gaming crowd.

I'm all for another product that WotC can license the D&D brand to in order to keep the game I do play evergreen without spitting out splat-o-da-month.

It's cool that they're getting their licensed products rolling out :)

Dicemasters is not Dragon Dice. That's like seeing the the 5e books on the shelf and saying, "Great, another F.A.T.A.L." The Marvel game is very highly thought of, it's a far superior game to even Quarriors!, the game it's based off of.

This is just like Attack Wing, a D&D spin-off of another popular game. Neither are really my cup of tea (I don't like collectable anything, even if the Dicemasters packs are pretty inexpensive), but they are popular among the board gaming crowd.

I'm all for another product that WotC can license the D&D brand to in order to keep the game I do play evergreen without spitting out splat-o-da-month.
These guys have it right: licensed products are good for D&D at the current time. Absolute worst case scenario is that D&D Dicemasters is a total flop, the D&D brand becomes diluted slightly by another forgettable game, and WizKids loses its shorts. Best case scenario is that this becomes the hottest new fad, drawing tons of people into the hobby, and making WotC a mint in royalty revenues, which they then use to develop other new and exciting products.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
I've been looking forward to this for awhile, I like Quarriors, and enjoy the Marvel version. Thankfully friends own both of those. But want to dive into the DND version.

Remove ads

Remove ads