D&D Diversifying and Rethinking

Riastlin

First Post
...I take it you haven't heard about the live action Book of Vile Darkness movie they've been working on, then?

I think at least its supposedly being filmed for the network formerly known as Sci-Fi so at least its not really being considered for mass market appeal or probably a big budget.

malraux

First Post
...I take it you haven't heard about the live action Book of Vile Darkness movie they've been working on, then?

Well, made for tv movie is a different niche than silver screen movie. But the likelihood of D&D:BOVD being as well received as Ravenloft is pretty low. That said, I would like to see an animated cartoon series again.

Zaran

Adventurer
I'm sorry but I'm not really on board with the expanding into other realms. Not when it seems to have reduced the quality and quanity of the RPG.

I admit I have bought both Ashardalon and Ravenloft. They aren't bad games and they get give me some minatures for my DnD game as well. I also wish that the development and investment into these products would have been better used in making the RPG better.

I truly hope that the RPG products coming out soon make up for the mediocre year that DnD has had. The info released at Gen-Con has excited me like I haven't been since I heard the PHB3 had the Monk in it. Non Random Minis? Content aimed at classes not in Essentials? Yes please!

If they really want to bring people into DnD they should put out a fantastic video game that uses the rules, has beautiful graphics , and plays great. This would Introduce alot of gamers into the game and bring back those that have left when they see how well the game works. At the same time it would give those of us RPG people something to play when we can't be at the game table.

Scribble

First Post
I also wish that the development and investment into these products would have been better used in making the RPG better.

But this assumes that not putting resources into those products would have meant they went into the RPG line, or that they drew resources from the RPG line top begin with.

From everything they've said it looks like the pullback on products was because they're trying to chart a new course with the game itself, and has nothing to do with the board games et al.

So basically even if there was no board games the product lineup would still be the same... just without board games.

malraux

First Post
If they really want to bring people into DnD they should put out a fantastic video game that uses the rules, has beautiful graphics , and plays great. This would Introduce alot of gamers into the game and bring back those that have left when they see how well the game works. At the same time it would give those of us RPG people something to play when we can't be at the game table.

First, limiting quantity is a good way to pump up quality while upping quantity would likely cost quality. Doing a few things well is better than doing lots of things averagely, IMO.

But on the video game front, first I question the ability to get a good interface of the rules because of all the non-turn actions involved. Second, the current video game license holder isn't really known for their stories. Third, bioware has decided that using their own IP gives them better return than using someone else's. So, it would be hard to do well, the guys in charge of doing it aren't good at it, and the guys who could do it would rather do their own thing.

On the other side, board games work well with hobby stores that currently carry the books, tap into another natural segment of the geek crowd, and uses the in house talent over in the Avalon hill side.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Zaren,

I have to disagree with your assessment on quality (I agree that quantity has gone down).

If anything I think the quality of the material of late has been much better.

Heroes of Shadow had little that was glaringly bad and a lot of the content was stellar.

The Shadowfell supplement is pure awesome-sauce. The despair deck was a huge hit at D&D Encounters in Portland. Lots of role-playing and tactical choices in the game changed when players were suddenly afflicted with mental breakdowns.

Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale - Rockin'! I made mad use of it with the first week of purchase, Boggles are nasty, nasty little creatures that take player's stuff and make them want to revenge... There were only a few "meh" entries.

In the Neverwinter Campaign Guide the themes, integrated backgrounds with the themes, a bladesinger class (that feels lie a wizard with a sword) that is not a rehash of the swordmage (which feels like a fighter with a bit of magic). Having seen the Warpriest of Corellon in action, a bow wielding Leader is finally an awesome choice (I was not a fan of the Bow Bard).

The cards in the Neverwinter Fortune Packs are way better than the Shadow over Nentir Vale cards (in which the commons were way better than the rares).

D&D Encounters stumbled in Season 3 (20 weeks is just too long) and the quality has steadily improved. The current season is one of the best adventures I have seen come out of WotC. There are call outs to most, if not all Neverwinter themes in the adventure making the choices you make during character creation pay off (the whole integration thing is awesome).

Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium is supposed to fill in the holes of the rarity system, provide more mundane gear and best all brings back cursed magic items, WOOT! I haven't seen this one but it is one that I am definitely putting on the must buy list.

This doesn't even address the steady improvement of eContent on the DDI side.

If the tools get a major boost in September as hinted at I for one will count this as one of the strongest years for consistently good material.

I am, for one, happy to sacrifice quantity for quality. As your measure of quality may differ from mine this might not be so great a year for you.

Now I am off to figure out how my party is going to survive a spellplague changed white dragon that showed up at the end of a hard fought encounter at Wednesday's DDE game (no short rest for us). Next week is going to be scary fun.

GameDoc

Explorer
Another thought on diversifying a brand as opposed to focusing only on the original product.

Brand diversification is part of what brought Marvel Comics out of bankruptcy and up to a point they were so valuable that Disney snatched it up at the first opportunity. Marvel decided it wasn't enough to license their character to others for toy, cartoons, and eventually films. They wanted to manage the brand themselves. As a result, they are still putting out comic books an graphic novels when there was a period that fans were worried we'd lose those products.

D&D probably doesn't have near the wide market appeal as Marvel, but it can be a valuable commodity from Hasbro's perspective if the brand "pays the rent" so to speak, so we don't lose the RPG itself.

Riastlin

First Post
I'm sorry but I'm not really on board with the expanding into other realms. Not when it seems to have reduced the quality and quanity of the RPG.

I admit I have bought both Ashardalon and Ravenloft. They aren't bad games and they get give me some minatures for my DnD game as well. I also wish that the development and investment into these products would have been better used in making the RPG better.

That's just it though. As referenced by Mearls in that interview, the boardgames are actually going to help the RPG side in the long run. Increased revenues means they can increase the budget. If they can pull in more money from board games then some of that money can be used on the RPG side too.

Anyhoo, as an aside to those who have played both Ashardalon and Ravenloft, is there much difference between the two? I like Ravenloft, but I get the sense that Ashardalon would more or less be the same thing just with different window dressing (i.e. its obviously a different setting which means likely different monsters and environment cards, etc.). As such, if this is the case, not sure I'd be willing to drop another $50 on it along side Ravenloft.

Remove ads