D&D Diversifying and Rethinking

malraux

First Post
Anyhoo, as an aside to those who have played both Ashardalon and Ravenloft, is there much difference between the two? I like Ravenloft, but I get the sense that Ashardalon would more or less be the same thing just with different window dressing (i.e. its obviously a different setting which means likely different monsters and environment cards, etc.). As such, if this is the case, not sure I'd be willing to drop another $50 on it along side Ravenloft.

Some minor refinements: starting items don't suck, some of the monster AI is a bit better with some monsters moving away from the party spawning new tiles and monsters, there's a neat "exploding dungeon" thing wherein you find the last tile for the scenario and that triggers laying out 5-6 tiles at once into a large area, there are doors. Plus obviously new characters, monsters, scenarios, tiles, tokens, etc. If ravenloft does what you like and you don't game often, then I wouldn't put arshaldlon at the top of my board game list.

thewok

First Post
As long as they don't try to make a movie again.
I love the D&D movies. I think each one is great for different reasons.

The first one is a classic for cheesy lines, Jeremy Irons' ham-laden portrayal of Profion, and the skinniest dwarf ever put on film. I also applaud the vision of the director's decision to use a Thora Birch statue rather than the actress herself. Genius.

Wrath of the Dragon God was fun, but in a different way. I enjoyed how it was more recognizable as a D&D movie. It was like watching an adventure I might play around the table. Also, Damodar was in it, and, while his lips weren't blue anymore, he was still a badass. Krixx the Maligned was a fun character, too.

Then there was the monkey head staff, and the googly-eyed attendant to the mage that carried it. Man, that attendant gave my friends and me no end of good laughs.

Also, Lux was just stupidly beautiful.

Remove ads