• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Fan Rewrites the 5E Player's Handbook Index

Yeah, the index is a running joke in my group. Sorry, but I don't have time to contribute right now, but I'll be interested to see how this thread goes.

Yeah, the index is a running joke in my group.

Sorry, but I don't have time to contribute right now, but I'll be interested to see how this thread goes.

Bulldozers

Villager
Another Thanks!!

Lovely!!

Just amazing what a major publication can take for a decent index. Your edit vastly improves the utility behind the PHB's steaming pile.

Where rules are concerned, things shouldn't be so hard when you pay the 50 bucks.

Thanks much!!:)

I'm coming from the opposite angle. I think the 5e PHB has an excellent index compared to other D&D products.

I mean, give the team a break. This is a significant improvement over what has gone before. If we don't give them some credit they might just give up entirely and stop including indexes (there are definitely D&D books that don't!)

copperdogma

First Post
I'm coming from the opposite angle. I think the 5e PHB has an excellent index compared to other D&D products.

I mean, give the team a break. This is a significant improvement over what has gone before. If we don't give them some credit they might just give up entirely and stop including indexes (there are definitely D&D books that don't!)

That's a fair point! I assume what happened is they poured more time into iterating on the rules and the playtesting and sort of ran out of time/budget at the end to do really thorough playtesting with the final version.

You know what? I'd MUCH rather they did it the way they did -- focus on the content and the playability and skimp on things like the index. That's totally fine.

I just don't want to use it;) So I made a new one!

Hussar

Legend

Isn't that kind of like being Valedictorian in summer school though? Previous indexes were so bad that this one looks good by comparison is pretty faint praise. It would be nice if gaming companies could properly index their books.

Isn't that kind of like being Valedictorian in summer school though? Previous indexes were so bad that this one looks good by comparison is pretty faint praise. It would be nice if gaming companies could properly index their books.

Yeah, but here would be my response to all the criticism if I were the one who made the index:

"Are you freaking kidding me? We looked at the indexes of previous books, weren't too impressed with them, and set out to make one that was more complete and functional. We slaved away at it, and think we've come up with the best one yet. So, apparently that isn't 'good enough'? Well screw that. No more indexes. You can all just make your own then, because we aren't putting any more time into it for future books."

I'd rather not have them respond that way, because when I do need to use an index, I like that there is a functional one right in the back of my book that I didn't have to glue in.

No offense is intended to anyone who made improved versions, btw. I make my own improved versions of resources for my own needs. I just think the criticism of the original is unneeded.

Remove ads

Remove ads