• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Fan Rewrites the 5E Player's Handbook Index

Yeah, the index is a running joke in my group. Sorry, but I don't have time to contribute right now, but I'll be interested to see how this thread goes.

Yeah, the index is a running joke in my group.

Sorry, but I don't have time to contribute right now, but I'll be interested to see how this thread goes.

Benz74

First Post
Yes! This is exactly the kind of feedback I want. I remember this being something I wished was in there, but I didn't write any of them down!

Thanks. I've updated all of the files with better swimming references.

Here's a few other possible entries I can think of (crossovers from earlier editions) :

- "Disable trap" (1st edition term)
- "Open doors" (1st edition term... opening/bashing a stuck door p.175-176)
- "Endurance" (3rd edition skill... cf. Constitution check p. 177)
- "Appraise" (3rd edition skill... Intelligence check p. 178)
- "Gather information" (3rd edition skill... Charisma check p. 179, downtime activity 'researching' p. 187)
- "Track" (1st edition term, 3rd edition skill... Ranger class feature Natural explorer p. 91, Survival check p. 178)
- "Spot" (3rd edition skill --- cf. Perception, Investigation)
- "Detect Lie" (1st edition term... cf. Insight)

:)

copperdogma

First Post
Here's a few other possible entries I can think of (crossovers from earlier editions) :

- "Gather information" (3rd edition skill... Charisma check p. 179, downtime activity 'researching' p. 187)
- "Track" (1st edition term, 3rd edition skill... Ranger class feature Natural explorer p. 91, Survival check p. 178)

:)

Nice! Thanks! I've added them all and updated the files. Here is what I actually added:

**NOTE: already there (under traps, removing or disabling)​
door, opening​
picking lock (thieves' tools), 154
breaking down (improvised action), 193
breaking down (Portable Ram), 153
forcing open (Strength ability check), 175-176​
endurance check (Constitution check), 177​
appraise item value (Intelligence check), 177-178
bonus with magnifying glass, 153​
gather information​
researching (downtime activity), 187
intimidation (Charisma check), 179
investigation (Intelligence check), 178​
tracking​
as a wolf (barbarian primal path), 50
favored enemy (ranger), 91
Natural Explorer (ranger), 92
survival (Wisdom skill), 178
while travelling, 183​
spot (Perception) (Wisdom skill), 178
**NOTE: it didn't feel like Investigation applied to this one​
detect lie (Insight) (Wisdom skill), 178​

Last edited by a moderator:

basilforth

Explorer
I am new to GITHUB, so forgive me if I am not not recommending best practice.... :)

I notice that the txt file was more recent than the docx file. So I copied the contents of the new txt file and pasted it into the existing docx file. Et viola! An updated docx file that I can manipulate, i.e., increase fonts size. Is that the best way to do that?

copperdogma

First Post
I am new to GITHUB, so forgive me if I am not not recommending best practice.... :)

I notice that the txt file was more recent than the docx file. So I copied the contents of the new txt file and pasted it into the existing docx file. Et viola! An updated docx file that I can manipulate, i.e., increase fonts size. Is that the best way to do that?

Really? They should be the exact same. I modified them both and checked them in to github last night at the same time.

But yes, that's how you'd do it. I realized though I can't just cut & paste and have it work perfectly, though. It wipes out the "A - C" references at the top of each page if you just paste over all of the old text (Word sucks).

basilforth

Explorer
Really? They should be the exact same. I modified them both and checked them in to github last night at the same time.

Maybe a caching issue on my side? I downloaded the new Word Document several times and even cloned the site to my desktop. In all cases, the Word document had older data than the txt file.

basilforth

Explorer

But yes, that's how you'd do it. I realized though I can't just cut & paste and have it work perfectly, though. It wipes out the "A - C" references at the top of each page if you just paste over all of the old text (Word sucks).

Here is the link I access: https://github.com/copperdogma/dnd-phb-5e-index

Here is the Repository Screen I see at the time of this post:

View attachment 72109

I've attached the Word document that I retrieve. As you can see the damage resistance entry still shows page 97.

View attachment 72111

Wouldn't be surprised if I am doing something wrong....

copperdogma

First Post
Maybe a caching issue on my side? I downloaded the new Word Document several times and even cloned the site to my desktop. In all cases, the Word document had older data than the txt file.

Did you try it again within the last day?

Can you give me a specific example of something that's in one but not the other?

copperdogma

First Post
Here is the link I access: https://github.com/copperdogma/dnd-phb-5e-index

Here is the Repository Screen I see at the time of this post:

View attachment 72109

I've attached the Word document that I retrieve. As you can see the damage resistance entry still shows page 97.

View attachment 72111

Wouldn't be surprised if I am doing something wrong....

Ah! Right you are. I missed updating that one entry in the Word doc.

I'll fix it when I get home and reply again when it's done.

Nice catch, thanks!

Remove ads

Remove ads